Does the CFI ride count towards your BFR?

Old May 13th 04, 03:54 AM
BoDEAN

Default Does the CFI ride count towards your BFR?

Can't get a clear cut answer from anyone on this....
Got my CFI last may, does my 24 calendar months start on that date til
when I need a BFR?
Or would I have to go back to my Multi Training for a starting date

Old May 13th 04, 04:10 AM
zatatime

On Wed, 12 May 2004 22:54:52 -0400, BoDEAN wrote:

Can't get a clear cut answer from anyone on this....
Got my CFI last may, does my 24 calendar months start on that date til
when I need a BFR?
Or would I have to go back to my Multi Training for a starting date

I used it as my BFR when I got it, and then used my Double I when I
got that.

Issuance of any Certificate or Rating is what qualifies you, and a CFI
ride results in the issuance of a Certificate.

HTH.
Old May 13th 04, 04:53 AM
Greg Esres

Got my CFI last may, does my 24 calendar months start on that date
til when I need a BFR?

Technically, no, because only checkrides for PILOT certificates count.

The FAQs say you should get the examiner on a CFI ride to sign you off
on a Flight Review (not BFR) in order to get credit for it. Some
people here have reported, however, that some examiners may not do
that because they are not supposed to instruct.

Old May 13th 04, 05:03 AM
Brad Z

The argument is that an instructor checkride does not count, because a
Instructor certificate is not a pilot certificate. 14 CFR 61.56, which
deals with BFR's, specifies in paragraph (d) that a proficiency check for a
pilot certificate or rating is required. 14 CFR 61.5(a) defines a pilot
certificate as Student, Rec, Private, Commercial and ATP, and paragraph (b)
defines ratings for airplanes as class ratings (SEL,MEL,SES,MES) or
instrument ratings.

In reality, I doubt this is enforced by the FSDO's. If you're not a
risktaker, just ask your CFI who signs you off for your CFI, MEI or CFII to
sign you off for a BFR-- you've met all the requirements if they're willing
to sign you off for the checkride.

Old May 13th 04, 05:14 AM
BTIZ

CFI rides do not count... unless the examiner providing the check ride
specifically states in the log book that requirements of 61.56 were met. A
Flight Review requires one hour of ground INSTRUCTION and one hour of flight
INSTRUCTION.. does a DE "instruct" on a check ride?

BT

Old May 13th 04, 05:26 AM
Hilton

Greg Esres wrote:
Got my CFI last may, does my 24 calendar months start on that date
til when I need a BFR?

Technically, no, because only checkrides for PILOT certificates count.

The FARs do not says that, nor does AOPA's legal department.

Hilton

Old May 13th 04, 06:19 AM
C J Campbell

The regulations are not clear and can be argued either way. Some FSDOs have
argued that the CFI is not a pilot certificate; others have accepted it as
such. Contrary to some other posts, neither the FAA nor the AOPA have said
that there is a requirement for the examiner to sign off the check ride as a
BFR. However, if the examiner does sign it off as such, then there is no
question about it.

Old May 13th 04, 06:24 AM
Greg Esres

The FARs do not says that, nor does AOPA's legal department.

Yes, the FARs do, as noted below. It says "pilot certificate", not
"any certificate" as AOPA says.

61.56
(d) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of
this section, passed a pilot proficiency check conducted by an
examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a
PILOT certificate, rating, or operating privilege need not accomplish
the flight review required by this section

Old May 13th 04, 07:14 AM
J.M. Farrington

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
The FARs do not says that, nor does AOPA's legal department.

Yes, the FARs do, as noted below. It says "pilot certificate", not
"any certificate" as AOPA says.

61.56
(d) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of
this section, passed a pilot proficiency check conducted by an
examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a
PILOT certificate, rating, or operating privilege need not accomplish
the flight review required by this section

Please note that right after Pilot certificate, is says , rating, is not
the a rating.

John

Old May 13th 04, 02:08 PM
BoDEAN

And if the examinar didnt sign me off for a BFR when I did my cfi ride
last year??