Good Used 4 Seaters

Old November 4th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

Default Good Used 4 Seaters

In article , Blanche
wrote:

as a cherokee owner and having had a hangar for a little while, any high wing
aircraft has an advantage vs low wing aircarft wrt hangars. It's way easier to
walk around in the hangar.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old November 4th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

john smith wrote:

As was explained to me (years ago, when the change to taper-wings
occurred), the Hershey-bar wing is a better climber, up to 10,000 feet.
The taper-wing advantage takes over above 10,000.

Yeah, you get 200 fpm instead of 150.
Old November 4th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Bob Noel said:
as a cherokee owner and having had a hangar for a little while, any high wing
aircraft has an advantage vs low wing aircarft wrt hangars. It's way easier to
walk around in the hangar.

Do you have a line of diamond shaped scars in your forehead?

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Welcome to Global Warming, everyone. It appears to be globally

Old November 4th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

..Blueskies. wrote:
I'm 5' 10" and can easily walk under the entire wing of (my) 1960 C-172 A...

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message ...

:
: Do you have a line of diamond shaped scars in your forehead?
:
:

I'm 5'11 and got may fair share of diamond shaped injuries when I was
renting 172's prior to buying my Six. My only real beef with a high
wing (or a T tail) is getting ice or snow off of it.
Old November 4th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blanche

wrote:
: slightly higher service ceiling (I live in Colorado-important!)

Even *I* don't know if I buy that. The Hershey-bar wing is pretty
slug-like compared to the 172. It helps in turbulence, stall
characteristics, and crosswind, but not in climb-related things. In the
early-mid 70's are you talking about taper-wing? Then that might
be the case (dunno... I'm only calibrated to Hershey-wing PA28's).

Cory:

I, too, have the cherokee 180D (hershey bar). The published ceiling
is 16K (ok, on a 1969 document) but I've had it up to 15K. I've
noticed that the newer the cherokee, the lower the ceiling due to
more weight of the aircraft. Overall max weight of 2400 has
remained the same.

Example, according to the 180G docs, absolute is 15K and service is 13K.
Yet in the similar docs for my 180D, the numbers are 16K/14K. I've been
up above 14.5K many times (Leadville, for example).

I dunno...

Old November 5th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

Do you have a line of diamond shaped scars in your forehead?

Nope. I own a cherokee.

And I'm not a tall guy.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old November 5th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_3_]

Hi Roy!

Your observations make sense....

The structures of the 2 aircraft are very different in the details.
Our Warrior seems to have more braces/gussets throughout its structure
than the Cessna..

And it ..well ..just feels "solid" in all aspects of operation.

....not an engineering analysis....just layman observation..

Obviously, both are more than adequate in the strength department..

But they sure "feel" different, both in the air and on the ground

Dave

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 13:48:54 GMT, "Roy N5804F"
wrote:

Dave,

I also appreciated an almost unbiased comparison between the C172 &
PA28-161.
What has really got my interest are the comments you make about the airframe
structural differences.
Obviously both aircraft were designed very well as I am not aware of any
AD's that have addressed major structural problems with either breed.
However,the Cherokee takes all the landing loads through its wing structure
whereas the Skyhawk takes landing loads onto its fuselage.
Your comments polarizes my view, that the Cherokee needs and [by your
observations] may be structural stronger than the Cessna.
I was never really sure why I personally preferred to fly a Cherokee but you
may have eluded to a significant difference between the airframes, that had
failed to sink in to my grey matter.
Thanks for an objective posting on this volatile subject.

Roy
Piper Archer N5804F

Old November 5th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_3_]

HAH!

No argument there..

Our Warrior is snuggled in among a Tiger, a 441, Navaho, RV6, a
WestWind jet and a Hughes 300..

All low wing. (except the Hughes) ...

It is a LONG walk accross the hangar floor!

Dave

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 12:56:17 -0500, Bob Noel