How low can you go?

Old July 29th 03, 05:52 AM
Steve R.

I would be glad to accept that picture if you wanted to e-mail me a copy.
;o)

"Walt BJ" wrote in message
om...
snip
I also have a great picture of an F4 in full mil power - lots of black
smoke - rising up(!) towards the range tower - the platform of which
is 35 feet above the ground. He must have passed about one wingspan
from the tower. Prima-facie court-martial evidence in today's Air
Force . . .
Walt BJ

Old July 29th 03, 11:50 AM
tscottme

James Hart wrote in message
Now that's a pretty low flypast, no wonder the presenter's crapping

himself.
http://www.airshows.tv/vids/ohmygod.wmv

--
James...

I'm one jaded and hard to impress S.O.B. when it comes to airshow
demonstrations. But that clip is phucking terrific.

Thanks!

--
Scott
--------

Old July 29th 03, 01:59 PM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
Errol Cavit wrote:
(ANDREW ROBERT BREEN) wrote in message ...
snip
It wouldn't suprise me in the slightest - there were some deeply silly
things done in those days (a friend of my father's - a guy I met in his
older, more sensible days - got posted out to the far east after flying a
Sea Gladiator *underneath* the balcony of the admiral's house in IIRC
Durban - the house *was* on a cliff and I think the "underneath" was the
admiral looking down on the top wing, but still..).

ISTR reading a similar story in a FAA pilot's memoirs. IIRC the
carrier was heading to the Far East, and the pilot decided to give his
girlfriend in Capetown(?) a farewell flypast - not realising who daddy
was.

If the book was "Carrier Pilot" by Norman Hanson, that's the man.

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/
Old July 29th 03, 04:43 PM
Harry Andreas

"Walt BJ" wrote in message
om...
snip
I also have a great picture of an F4 in full mil power - lots of black
smoke - rising up(!) towards the range tower - the platform of which
is 35 feet above the ground. He must have passed about one wingspan
from the tower. Prima-facie court-martial evidence in today's Air
Force . . .

I was on a backpacking trip in the high Sierras, doing a east to west
trans-sierra.
As we were hiking down the Kern River canyon, a 3000 foot canyon about 1/2
mile across, with roar and thunder, an F-4 went down the canyon below us.
We were about 1000 feet down, but the canyon is pretty narrow, so he was
just slightly below and pretty close to us.
I swear I was able to look right in the cockpit for a fraction of a second.
Ballsy move on his part.
For those not in SoCal, this is pretty close to the Lake (China Lake).

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old July 29th 03, 09:01 PM
Peter Twydell

In article , James Hart ng-
writes
Now that's a pretty low flypast, no wonder the presenter's crapping himself.
http://www.airshows.tv/vids/ohmygod.wmv

That was Alain de Cadenet, sometime racing driver and Spitfire owner, in
a documentary about the Spitfire. It (more likely a retake) was shown on
Discovery (Wings?) in the UK some time ago, but without the "**** me!"
soundtrack. Shot at Duxford, I think.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Old July 30th 03, 12:50 AM
Chad Irby

Back in the early 1980s, I was stationed at George AFB, in Victorville,
CA. When you head west from Victorville, you have to go down through
the Cajon Pass to get to Los Angeles.

I was just topping the hill, and some lunatic in an F-4 went over low
enough that I felt the wind gust. He followed the Interstate down the
pass. Which made him go under some high tension lines, while cranked
over about 60 degrees to the left, less than 50 feet off of the ground...

Of course, if you like low-level flying, A-10 drivers are competely
insane. I've seen them come back from training flights with dirt on the
wingtips, and occasionally one lands with parts of a tree trunk embedded
in the leading edge.

Slam on brakes accordingly.