A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Trig TT21 + TN72 TABS ADS-B Out Install working great....

Old February 12th 18, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default Trig TT21 + TN72 TABS ADS-B Out Install working great....

You can do a lot to merge GPS antennas you already have. Personally I would not be doibg that for a GPS source used to drive any type of ADS-B Out.
Old February 12th 18, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Great, now if we could get something like that for GPS. I have 3 GPS's now without ADS-B in out or sideways. Flarm, LX and Butterfly.

On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 6:20:41 PM UTC-8, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
Too many antenna. 4 GPS and 2 FLARM within 30". We need a reliable way to split/share GPS signal off a single antennae.

http://www.craggyaero.com/antennas.htm

Bottom Page

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old February 12th 18, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

So we're looking at:

$350 TN72
$321 GPS Antenna Combiner & cables for Flarm + GPS vario

$671 Total before shipping.

There's just barely enough room under my glareshield for 2 GPS antennae 30"

apart. Without the combiner I'd have to wire the third antenna to my hat.

I'm still entertaining the fantasy of mounting an L2 transponder antenna in
the
tail battery box of my 27 - and routing a fat enough coax there. I dread
the
thought of dirtying my 27 with an external transponder antenna.

Old February 12th 18, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner
external usenet poster

On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 8:15:07 PM UTC-7, George Haeh wrote:
So we're looking at:

$350 TN72
$321 GPS Antenna Combiner & cables for Flarm + GPS vario

$671 Total before shipping.

There's just barely enough room under my glareshield for 2 GPS antennae 30"

apart. Without the combiner I'd have to wire the third antenna to my hat.

I'm still entertaining the fantasy of mounting an L2 transponder antenna in
the
tail battery box of my 27 - and routing a fat enough coax there. I dread
the
thought of dirtying my 27 with an external transponder antenna.

I've got 5 GPS antenna pucks under the glareshield of my '27. Space them out but don't worry about the 30" bit. That's an exaggerated requirement.
Old February 12th 18, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting
external usenet poster

I had 4 under my glare with no issues. Just a few inches apart.
R
Old February 12th 18, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

I was going to say the same as Steve. These GPS antenna spacing concerns seem largely folklore. It’s hard to imagine what is going to cause problems there anyhow, back-leakage of local oscillator from inside the GPS electronics back to the antenna??? In some cases I’ve seen confusion between gps antenna to gps antenna and gps antenna to say DME or VHF coms antennas and they may make more sense. Even if it exists as a real problem at all, many many gliders have flown sucesfully with multiple GPS antennas separated at most by a few inches. Including two of mine.
Old February 12th 18, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 10:09:53 PM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
I was going to say the same as Steve. These GPS antenna spacing concerns seem largely folklore. It’s hard to imagine what is going to cause problems there anyhow, back-leakage of local oscillator from inside the GPS electronics back to the antenna??? In some cases I’ve seen confusion between gps antenna to gps antenna and gps antenna to say DME or VHF coms antennas and they may make more sense. Even if it exists as a real problem at all, many many gliders have flown sucesfully with multiple GPS antennas separated at most by a few inches. Including two of mine.

In personal experience, GPS position is acquired faster with fewer antennas..
For example: Two antennas and one divider for four receivers acquires faster than four separate antennas behind the already crowded panel.
YMMV, WTFIHTA, etc.
Jim

Jim
Old February 12th 18, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

So to confirm what I think I understand: an Experimental airworthiness glider can fully satisfy the 2020 ADS-B mandate using the TT22 + TN72.

A Standard airworthiness glider must use the TT22 + TN70.

(The TN70 is about $1500 more than the TN72).

Is that correct?

Matt
Old February 12th 18, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Caldwell (BC)
external usenet poster

On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 4:04:37 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
I just helped set up the Ramy Yanetz ASG29's TRIG TT21 transponder with a TN72 GPS Source to use as a TABS ADS-B out system. That along with PowerFLARM in his glider makes for a pretty capable overall traffic awareness/collision avoidance system.

Here is a screenshot of my portable Stratux ADS-B receiver (as would be used in many GA aircraft) receiving the ADS-B signal from the TT21 over 20 nautical miles away. Yes, it's a wave day out at Williams.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kik...SlslyEyMPo62Mu

And again just an reminder, the TN72 is a ~$350 (+ GPS antenna + install costs) GPS Source that can easily be added to any Trig transponder to deliver ADS-B Out in your glider. (If you need full 2020 Compliant ADS-B Out it's a little more involved). This is low-enough cost that it will likely be a "just do it" choice for owners who already have a Trig transponder, and who especially want to provide more visibility to GA traffic (and it makes your glider visible to PowerFLARM buddies at much longer distances).

So how much of a hassle was it to update the XPDR and head on the TT21? My stuff is buried in the mess of other stuff under my glare shield. Can a local Trig dealer do it or does it have to go to Micro Air in Kansas?
Old February 12th 18, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 8:00:49 AM UTC-8, Bob Caldwell (BC) wrote:
On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 4:04:37 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
I just helped set up the Ramy Yanetz ASG29's TRIG TT21 transponder with a TN72 GPS Source to use as a TABS ADS-B out system. That along with PowerFLARM in his glider makes for a pretty capable overall traffic awareness/collision avoidance system.

Here is a screenshot of my portable Stratux ADS-B receiver (as would be used in many GA aircraft) receiving the ADS-B signal from the TT21 over 20 nautical miles away. Yes, it's a wave day out at Williams.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kik...SlslyEyMPo62Mu

And again just an reminder, the TN72 is a ~$350 (+ GPS antenna + install costs) GPS Source that can easily be added to any Trig transponder to deliver ADS-B Out in your glider. (If you need full 2020 Compliant ADS-B Out it's a little more involved). This is low-enough cost that it will likely be a "just do it" choice for owners who already have a Trig transponder, and who especially want to provide more visibility to GA traffic (and it makes your glider visible to PowerFLARM buddies at much longer distances).

So how much of a hassle was it to update the XPDR and head on the TT21? My stuff is buried in the mess of other stuff under my glare shield. Can a local Trig dealer do it or does it have to go to Micro Air in Kansas?

I think just a typo, but to be clear Microair is a different transponder manufacturer (who does not make any Transponder capable of 1090ES Out or TABS, or even basic Mode S) .

If a Trig TT21 or TT22 needs a firmware update they have to go back to MidContinent, the USA Trig service center https://www.trig-avionics.com/support/u-s/. The update is free.

For use with the TN72 a TT21 or TT22 transponders need firmware 2.12 or higher and control head firmware 1.14 or higher.

The possible need to ship hardware back to MidContinent is one reason I have been advertising for a while why it is a good idea to get this done over this winter. Turn around there may only be a few days, call them and check.