Solomon Islands intervention force

Old July 21st 03, 03:10 AM
David Bromage

Default Solomon Islands intervention force

Does anybody know exactly which units are going to the Solomon Islands?
The Defence media releases haven't contained much detail, other than the
Australian infantry contingent will be from the 3rd Brigade. The
Solomons government did ask for the SAS, but I take it they're not doing.

I know HMAS Manoora sailed is leaving today and the airlift of police
will begin on Thursday.

What units are New Zealand, PNG, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga sending?

Cheers
David

Old July 22nd 03, 05:46 AM
David Bromage

The Defence media release suggests it will be 2RAR providing the bulk of
the Australian combat force.

Cheers
David

Old July 22nd 03, 07:11 AM
David Bromage

Tuesday, 22 July 2003 97/2003

UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLES DEPLOYING TO SOLOMONS

The Australian Defence Force will deploy for the first time on
operations four Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) as part of the regional
assistance mission to the Solomon Islands, Defence Minister Robert Hill
announced today.

"This is the first deployment of an unmanned aerial vehicle on
operations by the Australian Defence Force," Senator Hill said.

"It represents a significant advance in the development of our network
centric warfare capabilities."

Senator Hill said the Australian designed and built Aerosonde aircraft,
operated by SAAB Australia, would be equipped with day and night sensors
and communications equipment.

They will be capable of conducting surveillance of the Solomon Islands
remote areas and coastlines, providing images to military personnel on
the ground and headquarters staff.

"Incorporating this new technology in the regional assistance will give
the ADF an edge in its support to police assisting the Solomon Islands
Government to restore law and order," Senator Hill said.

"Soldiers and their commanders will have real-time information about
potential risks for the police."

The aircraft are part of a developmental program, Project Nervana, being
run by the DSTO. The project is looking at many aspects of automating
the battlefield. This includes the examination of how images from the
UAVs can be distributed to commanders on the ground, providing a real
time surveillance capability.

The detachment will be commanded by 131 Surveillance and Target
Acquisition (131 STA) Battery which has responsibility for developing
Army's UAV procedures. The UAVs will be operated and supported by Army
scientists, engineers and other support personnel as well as Defence
Scientists from DSTO.

Old July 22nd 03, 08:07 AM
MPA

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:11:22 +1000, David Bromage
wrote:

Tuesday, 22 July 2003 97/2003

UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLES DEPLOYING TO SOLOMONS

Great news !

Love my UAV

Dave
Melbourne RAPV
(small UAV class - remote aerial photography and video)
http://birdcagesoft.com.au/heli/index.html
Old July 22nd 03, 08:34 AM
Eric J. Whitney

David Bromage wrote:

Tuesday, 22 July 2003 97/2003

UNMANNED AERIAL VEHICLES DEPLOYING TO SOLOMONS

The Australian Defence Force will deploy for the first time on
operations four Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) as part of the regional
assistance mission to the Solomon Islands, Defence Minister Robert Hill
announced today.

"This is the first deployment of an unmanned aerial vehicle on
operations by the Australian Defence Force," Senator Hill said.

"It represents a significant advance in the development of our network
centric warfare capabilities."

Senator Hill said the Australian designed and built Aerosonde aircraft,
operated by SAAB Australia, would be equipped with day and night sensors
and communications equipment.

[... snip ...]

Yes, I saw the presentation given by Aerosonde at the conference just
completed here ( www.aeromech.usyd.edu.au/UAV-MMNT3 ). It looks like a
very capable and practical package. I wish them well.

Eric

Old July 22nd 03, 10:31 AM
Mainlander

In article ,
says...
David Bromage wrote in message ...
Does anybody know exactly which units are going to the Solomon Islands?
The Defence media releases haven't contained much detail, other than the
Australian infantry contingent will be from the 3rd Brigade. The
Solomons government did ask for the SAS, but I take it they're not doing.

I know HMAS Manoora sailed is leaving today and the airlift of police
will begin on Thursday.

What units are New Zealand, PNG, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga sending?

From the NZ Defence Minister site
http://www.beehive.govt.nz/ViewDocum...cumentID=17308
"...
Police Minister George Hawkins said 35 Police officers, including the
10 officers currently in the Solomons, would be deployed for two
years, although there may be some phased reduction in numbers over
that period.

Defence Minister Mark Burton said 105 Defence Force personnel would be
deployed in support. The contingent will consist of four helicopters
and associated personnel; headquarters support staff, logistics,
communications, an engineering element and a small medical group. An
infantry company will also be placed on standby to assist if required.
..."

How do they fly them there. They used an AN-124 to get most of the
choppers back from Timor.
Old July 22nd 03, 01:45 PM
RT

Eric J. Whitney wrote in message ...
David Bromage wrote:

[...]

I loved this bit:

"In addition, although efficient forms are found during the flaps- down
case, it is
shown how an occasional modeling limitation of the solver can precipitate
spurious results."

Chortle - that last phrase is priceless :-) :-)

Don't worry mate - you can always sell it as a random number generator :-)

Old July 22nd 03, 03:36 PM
Coop

David Bromage wrote:

[...]

In short, it crashed....?

Coop

Old July 23rd 03, 02:14 AM
Errol Cavit

Mainlander *@*.* wrote in message .nz...
In article ,
says...

snip

From the NZ Defence Minister site
http://www.beehive.govt.nz/ViewDocum...cumentID=17308
"...
Police Minister George Hawkins said 35 Police officers, including the
10 officers currently in the Solomons, would be deployed for two
years, although there may be some phased reduction in numbers over
that period.

Defence Minister Mark Burton said 105 Defence Force personnel would be
deployed in support. The contingent will consist of four helicopters
and associated personnel; headquarters support staff, logistics,
communications, an engineering element and a small medical group. An
infantry company will also be placed on standby to assist if required.
..."

How do they fly them there.

From
http://www.airforce.mil.nz/latestinf...article_id=216

"DEPARTURE OF FIRST NZDF CONTINGENT TO THE SOLOMON ISLANDS
Release Date 22 July 2003
The first contingent of NZDF personnel will depart from Ohakea for the
Solomon Islands on an Air Force Hercules on Wednesday 23 July at 10:30
am. The first flight will comprise 18 Defence Force personnel and an
Iroquois helicopter. This group also includes the New Zealand Senior
National Officer and the Air Component Commander for the operation.
The aircraft will route through Townsville and is scheduled to arrive
in Honiara at 1:10pm local time on Thursday 24 July.

Mark Burton, Minister of Defence and Major General Martyn Dunne,
Commander Joint Forces New Zealand will farewell the deploying
personnel at Ohakea.

A further eight Hercules flights will deploy the rest of the New
Zealand contingent between 24 Jul and 1 Aug 2003. "

They used an AN-124 to get most of the
choppers back from Timor.

They may have used an AN-124 when the detachment was withdrawn, but
the individual helicopters were regularly swapped back to NZ during
the course of the deployment, by Herc. White Hueys were a common sight
from my place (Te Atatu) as they like training over water - you are
allowed to fly lower than you can over urban areas in a single engined
chopper. The RNZAF got an exemption to the normal UN rules that all
helicopters must be painted white, as it would have required an
unreasonable number of repaints. IIRC, the deal was that at least two
of those deployed would be white.

Per this morning's Herald piece:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...toryID=3514159

"The contingent would be housed in tents initially and would carry
enough weapons, kit, food and water to last 14 days, he said.

The helicopters would be brought back to New Zealand once a month for
major servicing. "

Cheers
Errol Cavit
Old July 23rd 03, 05:28 AM
Eric J. Whitney

David Bromage wrote:

[...]

Hardy har har. The comedy level around here is priceless. No, it didn't crash
and no, I'm not going to sell it as a random number generator.

Just for that, I'm not sending either of you a copy of the full paper.

Hmph.

Eric