What glider will fit a 6' 7" giant?

Old November 25th 10, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default What glider will fit a 6' 7" giant?

I am trying to help a friend find a glider that he can fit into. He is
looking for a club class glider *or slighty higher cost. What gliders
would he be able to fit into?

SZD-59 Acro/48-3 Jantar Std3 (same cockpit) are good for the the very
tall, so long as he's kinda skinny...

-Paul
Old November 25th 10, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default What glider will fit a 6' 7

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 17:39:46 +0000, Nigel Cottrell wrote:

It might be worth trying a Mosquito if that is the sort of price range
he is looking at, it has a pretty roomy cockpit. I doubt the DG 200
would work and it certainly wouldn't with a parachute particularly if
his feet are in proportion to his height! The ASW 20 might be worth
trying with the seat back removed and a back pack chute but it isn't
very wide.( the 19 / Pegase are very similar if he doesn't fancy flaps.)

If he fits one of those he'll fit them all: the cockpits are essentially
identical: if you sight along the Pegase fuselage under the wing you can
see where the 20's NASA style ventilation inlet was plugged with filler
when the revised moulds for the Pegase fuselage were being made.

I'd suggest he also looks at a Standard Cirrus or a Mini-Nimbus - the
fuselages are identical. I've not flown either, but have sat in a Cirrus
75 (the Std Cirrus derivative with elevators in place of the all-moving
elevator). Its the biggest single seat cockpit I've been in. Its almost
too wide: the width of the turtledeck restricts rear vision. I don't know
if it would be long enough, but there looked to be plenty of room down
there.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old November 25th 10, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ProfChrisReed

I don't think the Open Cirrus is a runner. I'm 6ft 1in and in mine I
needed to remove the seat hammock fitting to stop my head hitting the
canopy. It might work without a chute, but I wouldn't recommend that.

I used to own an Astir CS and that had a lot of headroom, so would be
worth checking out. Standard Cirrus is said to be equally roomy..
Old November 25th 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
77[_2_]

On Nov 25, 8:26*am, Scott Alexander
wrote:
I am trying to help a friend find a glider that he can fit into. He is
looking for a club class glider *or slighty higher cost. What gliders
would he be able to fit into?

A guy at our club is 6 feet 7 inches and can fit into an LS4 but
without parachute....he did fly the Grob to get hours for his Pvt
rating
Old November 25th 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 05:26:56 -0800 (PST), Scott Alexander
wrote:

I am trying to help a friend find a glider that he can fit into. He is
looking for a club class glider or slighty higher cost. What gliders
would he be able to fit into?

Ok... I'm the same size. Here's a list of potential candidates:

ASW-19/20/Pegase very good
DG-300/800 very good
LS-3/4 very good
LS-6/7/8 length ok, but narrow fuselage
Dicus-2b very good
Nimbus-2 very good
Mistral-C very good
Discus/Ventus b ok
PW-5 ok
Glasfluegel 304 good

My advice: ASW-19 or ASW-20.

Andreas

Old November 26th 10, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lynn

On Nov 25, 7:26*am, Scott Alexander
wrote:
I am trying to help a friend find a glider that he can fit into. He is
looking for a club class glider *or slighty higher cost. What gliders
would he be able to fit into?

Astir CS is quite roomy and I believe meets the club class
requirement. One is listed for sale in Wings and Wheels.
Old November 26th 10, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Nov 25, 4:14*pm, Andreas Maurer wrote:

My advice: ASW-19 or ASW-20.

You must have long legs and a relatively short torso. I'm only 6ft 1
inch and needed the seat all the way back and the pedals all the way
forward in my 19b. Taking the seat back out would not have helped as I
needed the reclined back to get head clearance.

It's hopeless giving advice on glider fit just based on total height.
Torso length (seated height) is critical in many gliders. I got tired
of people my height telling me I could get into the SH "A" series.
Just not possible for me.

On the other hand the 28 fits me perfectly with pedal travel to spare.

Andy

Old November 26th 10, 06:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff

Maybe not - I am only 6'3" + 240lb - relatively long legs relative to
total height.
Std Cirrus is comfortable.
Kestrel T59D is more than big enough for legs and torso length - but
that 44" chest...

The Kestrel is narrow at elbow height - so if you are barrel chested
like me, or the chest has slipped a little, like me, it can be somewhat
tight.

On the Cirrus the width is OK, and the leg length good, but I have
relatively little head clearance with a parachute on.

YMMV - the geometry is too complex to make generalisations - there is
simply no substitute for getting in and doing some hangar flying.

Bruce

On 2010/11/25 7:47 PM, jsbrake wrote:
Glasfulgel or Slingsby Kestrel is a good possibility. The Glasflugel
604 is even bigger, but only 10 of those were built.

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771 & Std Cirrus #57
Old November 26th 10, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flyingmr2

I am 6'3" but I have a very long back and sit like I am 6'5" or 6". I
have tried many sailplanes only to be very disappointed. From
previous comments I have found that the common recommendations like
the Mosquito or the Standard cirrus, discus, ventus, Pegusus, were too
small. The Genesis was OK but the canopy catch hook in the back was
pushing right in the back of my head so it was a no go. The SZD-59
Acro/48-3 Jantar Std3 (same cockpit) I have consistently heard and
believe to be the biggest around. I curently fly a Grob Twin II which
works quite well or a DG 1001. I have heard that the Grob 102 single
place fits just like a 103 and for club class, that might be his best
option. My personal ship is a DG-303 which would work if he has long
legs because you can arc your legs around the instrument panel. My
legs are short for my body, I have a 32" pant inseam. Pilots with
long legs, (34"-36") seem to do better than long backs like me. Best
of luck. Anything by Schleicher will probably not fit as it has not
for me. I can not even fit in a ASK-21. Yes, it was a very sad day
of soaring lessons as i pushed the ASK-21 back to the hanger because I
did not fit, only to trade if for the very humble 2-33.
Old November 26th 10, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

On Nov 25, 5:26*am, Scott Alexander
wrote:
I am trying to help a friend find a glider that he can fit into. He is
looking for a club class glider *or slighty higher cost. What gliders
would he be able to fit into?

Recommend your friend try a test-sit in a Genesis 2. With the rudder
pedals full forward, seat back removed I have seen a 6' 4" (250#'er)
fit in OK. With the ballistic chute option, the roger latch could be
removed. With the nose down, It is very easy to get into with a low
canopy rail. I have owned my Genesis for 7 years and 800+ hours and
just love the old girl. I added leg support padding to make it sit
like an LS-3/4 and it is comfortable for 7+ hour flights.
JJ

Gentle Green Giant? Kingfish Piloting 4 November 17th 07 02:43 AM
Giant Waves Hit Iowa Gig 601XL Builder Piloting 3 October 19th 07 10:39 PM
Giant Atmospheric Waves 5Z Soaring 5 October 12th 07 11:08 PM
We deny the giant whisky. Jonas Piloting 0 August 14th 07 03:45 AM
A giant for a glider t-tree Soaring 6 February 9th 07 09:28 PM