A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

S80 issues

Old June 17th 16, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]
external usenet poster

Default S80 issues

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 4:33:15 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Really Liked the S80 when I installed it - I AGREE WITH AN EARLIER POST...IF IT IS NOT BROKEN...DO NOT FIX IT.

I am not sure what feature I got that is better..... the gear door warning is anoying.

The update als changed some settings...... i.e. enabeled PCAS - so it was useless for several flights and only came on when flying.

I am not using it for Tasks or navigation - I just wanted to know if the air is rising .... verify airspeed.... what is the win lol (if it works today)

WH1

The latest firmware solves the gear warning problem

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old June 17th 16, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default S80 issues

Per-

Very handy checklist. Thanks for making it available.
Old June 18th 16, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

Default S80 issues

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 7:33:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Really Liked the S80 when I installed it - I AGREE WITH AN EARLIER POST...IF IT IS NOT BROKEN...DO NOT FIX IT.

I am not sure what feature I got that is better..... the gear door warning is anoying.

The update als changed some settings...... i.e. enabeled PCAS - so it was useless for several flights and only came on when flying.

I am not using it for Tasks or navigation - I just wanted to know if the air is rising .... verify airspeed.... what is the win lol (if it works today)

WH1

If you only want to know if air is rising then why did you buy S80?
Old June 20th 16, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default S80 issues

So since I began this string, let me tell you where it all ended - it is a good ending.

LXNAX (Toni) was very helpful. My Issues:

1. I think the Manuel is a little lite on problem solving.
2. I was lazy not reading and memorizing the Manuel.
3. The firmware update changed some settings (the PCAS got enabled, bad idea if you have a transponder) and the PCAS screen is NOT in the Manuel.
4. they use the term Password for a code that is more of a command.
5. it is unclear that there are more steps to complete the update.

My S80 is now working well and as advertised - I am very happy. I updated at a time I should not have (before a contest), so really the frustration was my own doing.

I still get an Gear Warning - but that's fine - I check it again, so no problem - it is an OK reminder - maybe I will hook it up someday
Old June 20th 16, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP
external usenet poster

Default S80 issues

We are all beta testers with this product. Every time you update to a new version, don't just check that the problem you encountered was fixed, you should also go through each of the existing features and make sure the change didn't break something that used to work. This seems to be the norm unfortunately.

All that being said I've been pretty happy with mine, except one major feature that is missing... nearest airports. Someone claimed that it is there but I couldn't find it. Can we collectively put pressure on LX Nav to provide that feature in a future release?
Old June 20th 16, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6X
external usenet poster

Default S80 issues

Try select from quick access menu.
Old June 20th 16, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP
external usenet poster

Default S80 issues

I tried that. Didn't work for me. I went to the 'waypoint' page, selected the bottom right button, and then hit "select". I only get the option for spelling out a waypoint name of my choice.

The obvious thing to check first is whether a GPS signal is getting to the unit. I verified it had a GPS fix and it was giving me guidance information to a selected waypoint, so the unit was getting the necessary GPS data to generate a 'nearest' list.
Old June 20th 16, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6X
external usenet poster

Default S80 issues

Sorry not near my ship to verify but it is there. Current version of manual says select near is available in WPT mode only via quick select in that mode. Requires current software version (released in May). I am sure that Richard or Paul can verify.
Old June 23rd 16, 12:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Parker[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default S80 issues

I see there was another firmware issue on 20th.June.

Old June 24th 16, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Delp
external usenet poster

Default S80 issues

Here is a short youtube video of the nearest feature. This was today after updating to the latest firmware. It works the same as the last few firmware updates.

https://youtu.be/qu80UoTaUqI

Are you sure you are updating the firmware on both the vario display as well as the "computer"? The vario and display update automatically when you insert the updates on the sd card. The "computer" must be updated via the password menu with 89891 as a password then follow the prompts to update. It takes several steps and will then confirm a successful update.