We have done auto tows in the past few years

Old March 4th 04, 10:22 PM
Joe Allbritten

Default We have done auto tows in the past few years

For the past two years, Southwest Soaring in Caddo Mills, TX has held
ground launch clinics during the late Winter / Early springs using
auto tows. We have 2 4000 ft runways but have achieved heights of
1,000 ft AGL with strong headwinds. We had good participation! SWS
is located at the Caddo Mills municipal airport. Since the airport
manager manages SWS, getting permission was never an issue. We did
put out a NOTAM, though.

Two years ago, we had 2 tow vehicles, 3 ropes and a bunch of spare
weak links readied ahead of time. As soon as we launched a Grobe 103
off of rwy 17, we pushed the other Grob 103 that had landed on rwy 13
back on to rnwy 17. We were able to launch about every 8 minutes
unless we had a rope break etc.. It's a hoot and we are considering
doing it again later this spring.

We had a fixed price which included ground instruction and 6 launches
with an instructor.

Joe Allbritten
Old March 4th 04, 11:13 PM
Mark James Boyd

I am very thankful for all of the responses to this thread.
This is very helpful for me, and I thank everyone for their
am grateful for the fun stories...
--

Mark Boyd
Old March 5th 04, 03:45 AM
BTIZ

We do our auto tow training on the local dry lake bed.. we can use longer
ropes and get higher.. we have two parallel runways.. the glider runway is
3500ft long plus over runs at each end.. the parallel is a little close.. so
best to go to the lake bed.

BT

om...