DUAT

Old July 11th 05, 02:55 AM
Stan Prevost

Default DUAT

I used to use DUAT to file flight plans for VFR Flight Following and VFR On
Top. Not long ago, they changed their software. Now I can't get it to
accept an OTP flight plan. Haven't tried FF.

Example: Yesterday I filed an IFR plan having altitude field of 125/OTP.
It rejected it. It accepted 125 for altitude, but I had to put "VFR On Top"
in Remarks.

Anyone else have this problem with DUAT? I haven't tried DUATS.

Stan

Old July 11th 05, 03:37 AM
john smith

Stan Prevost wrote:
Anyone else have this problem with DUAT? I haven't tried DUATS.

As I have a Mac, the Golden Eagle software is useless for me.
I do use the service online for preflight planning.
There have been too many reported problems with flight plans not
entering the system for me to file online.
I always call a briefer verify the duat preflight info I obtained and
file my flight plans with the briefer.

Old July 11th 05, 02:52 PM
Bob Moore

"Stan Prevost" wrote

I used to use DUAT to file flight plans for VFR Flight Following and
VFR On Top. Not long ago, they changed their software. Now I can't
get it to accept an OTP flight plan. Haven't tried FF.

If you want to fly VFR, it's "VFR Over the Top", not VFR on Top.
VFR ON Top is an IFR type flight.
Seems as if you pu in a VFR altitude for an IFR flight...confused
the computer.

Bob Moore
Old July 11th 05, 03:09 PM
Stan Prevost

I tried it and OTP is accepted. However, I then tried OTP/125, and that was
also accepted, as was VFR/125 (for FF). I just had the order of the
subfields switched in my head. Apparently nothing has changed.

Stan

Old July 11th 05, 03:53 PM
Newps

There's no reason to put an altitude in when you're OTP. ATC knows you
may need to change altitudes for clouds, winds, etc.

Old July 11th 05, 04:18 PM
Stan Prevost

If I put the desired altitude in the plan, then the controller knows that I
want 12500 and can tell me to "maintain VFR On Top at or below 12500". If I
don't put it in, then he has to ask me what altitude I want or just
arbitrarily assigns me something and then if it's not what I want we have to
go through more radio exchange.

How is it better to not include the altitude?

Old July 11th 05, 07:24 PM
KP

Include what you *think* the weather conditions *might* allow your VFR
cruising altitude to be if you feel like it but "VFR-On-Top" alone is your
*requested/assigned* IFR altitude.

Once you report reaching VFR-On-Top and the controller reclears to to
"Maintain VFR-On-Top" he isn't responsible for separation. After that he
doesn't really care much what your actual altitude is now or might be later
(beyond verifying your Mode C for traffic or idle curiosity).

Any altitude restrictions issued *before* you reach VFR-On-Top are a
different matter.

Old July 11th 05, 07:35 PM
John Clonts

Once you report reaching VFR-On-Top and the controller reclears to to
"Maintain VFR-On-Top" he isn't responsible for separation. After that he
doesn't really care much what your actual altitude is now or might be later
(beyond verifying your Mode C for traffic or idle curiosity).

Maybe so, but you're required to report changing altitudes when flying
VFR-On-Top (at least, per the AIM)...

--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Duat Graphics Slick Piloting 0 January 23rd 05 01:35 PM
NAS and associated computer system Newps Instrument Flight Rules 8 August 12th 04 05:12 AM
DTC DUAT Matt Whiting Instrument Flight Rules 0 June 5th 04 03:23 PM
Picking Optimal Altitudes O. Sami Saydjari Instrument Flight Rules 20 January 8th 04 02:59 PM