Monday Night Soaring

Old March 28th 20, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]

Default Monday Night Soaring

Hey Guys,

I have updated the Monday Night Soaring tasks for the next two Mondays.

March 30th will still be in Slovenia (default scenery).
April 6th will be in AA2 (Alps!)

MNS is probably the longest lasting competition in Condor. It's been running continuously since late 2005.

This is one of the premier Condor events. The tasks are 1:45-2 hours in length, running at 7pm/10pm Eastern. They are more realistic and tend to be fairly challenging. The conditions are generally less forgiving. The settings are more realistic (Q disabled, real-time scoring off).

US Nightly Soaring was envisioned as the "low key", more informal series with shorter tasks that helped get people trained up to race in the "real" competition on Mondays. While some people really go for the ranking, US Nightly Soaring is more like a pick-up game. Come whenever you want, there will be a group of people there to race with. Come once a month, a week, or every day, it's all cool.

MNS is where people usually really cared about their performance and their ranking.

With the large influx of new folks (50 people on the US Nightly Soaring server last night!), I am looking forward to seeing a large group of folks racing on Mondays again.

All the best,
Daniel
Old March 28th 20, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

When are you gonna have midairs? lol
Old March 28th 20, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Daniel Sazhin wrote on 3/28/2020 9:46 AM:
[...]

Does Condor simulate Flarm?

Old March 28th 20, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]

On Saturday, March 28, 2020 at 12:50:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
When are you gonna have midairs? lol

Condor is cool in that it tries to assign fault to a midair. More than half of the time, the guilty party is the only one that breaks and falls out of the sky.

The other half of the time both gliders get destroyed.

In MNS, there is no penalty for pressing Q for a midair collision.
In USNS, you can press Q, but it will assign you a 400 point penalty for plane and height recovery.

There are merits to both approaches... in the first one you can't get knocked out of the sky by some dufus behind you. In the other, it motivates everyone to avoid hitting each other because the penalty is very steep.

Over the years, Condor pilots have gotten pretty good at avoiding hitting each other. It happens, but it's not rampant.

All the best,
Daniel
Old March 28th 20, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]

Hey Eric,

Sort of. Not the collision avoidance alerts. But you can see gliders on your flight display, just like Flarm. No contest IDs.

But when you're close to a midair, you can hear another glider getting closer and closer. It's terrifying and it gets every bit of your attention...

All the best,
Daniel
Old March 28th 20, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I will start and say....thanks for pushing this.

Second, mostly my son (sometimes me) flew the early Condor.
For your weekly meets/contests, are "real rudder pedals" hugely suggested? I had a set, "someone sold them" only have a MS joystick although I can spend (yet again....sigh...) to get a new set of pedals.

I am assuming I need to get Condor 2, get my hardware are up, likely with pedals, go from there.....

Yes Dan, I usually fly close to you (north end of Governers cup), congrats for some of your flights from the northeast.
Old March 28th 20, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]

Hey Charlie,

Condor 2 is the place to be nowadays. Condor 1 certainly still works, but all the online stuff is on Condor 2 now.

Pedals are not necessary, but a nice addition. You could adapt to the twist grip on the joystick for yaw pretty quickly, so pedals aren't 100 percent necessary. Some people even fly with (gasp!) auto rudder enabled. But that makes for some sporty crosswind landings!

So pedals are nice, especially for pilots with a lot of real flying... it feels wrong not to be moving your feet! But you definitely could get started just with the joystick... pedals in the mail .

See you online soon!

All the best,
Daniel

Old March 29th 20, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Auto-rudder option still allows some limited input with a twist joystick. It helps with crosswind takeoffs and landings.

Paul A.
Old March 30th 20, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Szikora

A fantastic guide to racing in Condor was posted a couple of days ago on this website.

https://chessintheair.com/