396 and routing

Old April 20th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default 396 and routing

I'd like to start better using my 396 and am looking for suggestions.

I'm using the internet to keep the database up to date. I'd like to load
STAR's, routes, etc. using a pc program. Is there a program for doing this?
I have the auto option with the Mapsource program - is that what I'm
supposed to use to manage aviation routes?

Can I use AOPA's flight planner directly and download?

I realize it's a very useful tool but I'm not using it to it's potential and
appreciate your comments!

Old April 21st 06, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

dlevy wrote:
I'd like to start better using my 396 and am looking for suggestions.

I'm using the internet to keep the database up to date. I'd like to load
STAR's, routes, etc. using a pc program. Is there a program for doing this?
I have the auto option with the Mapsource program - is that what I'm
supposed to use to manage aviation routes?

Can I use AOPA's flight planner directly and download?

I realize it's a very useful tool but I'm not using it to it's potential and
appreciate your comments!

I use Jeppesen FliteStar

http://www.jeppesen.com:80/wlcs/application/commercewf?origin=category.jsp&event=link(browse)& wlcs_catalog_sourceKey=wlcs_categories&wlcs_catalo g_destinationKey=wlcs_siblings&root_category_id=FP &wlcs_catalog_category_id=FP1A

You can flight plan with ease and transfer the route to a 396.

Check it.

Old April 21st 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

remofo wrote in
:

dlevy wrote:
[...]

Can you give some more detail???

Can you plan a route with terrain avoidance on other than airways?? I'd
like to be able to plan cross countries, like for instance from s.
california to Oshkosh, staying below 10,000 feet.... the planners I've
used so far, route us to el paso first, but I know it can be done using
the passes that I-40 cuts through.

How easy is the upload feature???

Thanks in advance.

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams