ASW27 vs 27b?

Old August 6th 12, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASW27 vs 27b?

Can anyone comment on any differences in performance and handling between the early and later models of the 27? I've read the winglet was enlarged on the b--does that make much difference?

thanks,

Key
Old August 6th 12, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, August 5, 2012 8:20:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Can anyone comment on any differences in performance and handling between the early and later models of the 27? I've read the winglet was enlarged on the b--does that make much difference? thanks, Key

The principle difference is the B has a wet wing making it easier to get up to gross weight.All winglet variants are usable on both types.
Very few 27's are still being flown with the original small winglet. Mine came off after the first flight.
No handling difference and any performance difference is due to condition and preparation. They are geometrically identical.
UH
Old August 6th 12, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

On Aug 5, 7:35*pm, wrote:
On Sunday, August 5, 2012 8:20:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Can anyone comment on any differences in performance and handling between the early and later models of the 27? I've read the winglet was enlarged on the b--does that make much difference? thanks, Key

The principle difference is the B has a wet wing making it easier to get up to gross weight.All winglet variants are usable on both types.
Very few 27's are still being flown with the original small winglet. Mine came off after the first flight.
No handling difference and any performance difference is due to condition and preparation. They are geometrically identical.
UH

Any of the new taller winglets make a dramatic difference in low speed
handling. You can thermal as much as 4-5 knots slower. UH's super
duper winglets are just a bit better (he's too modest to say so, but I
will -- thanks UH!)

Most Bs (like mine) suffer from pretty bad skin shrinkage especially
along the spar on the bottom surface, and need to be profiled after a
few years. Once done, they are pretty stable. The As seem better in
this regard. Something about water in the wings was not good.

Tanks are a convenience for watering. The need to worry about water
left in the tanks and rig up some sort of tank vent is less
convenient. (Read Schleicher's maintenance instructions)

Overall, great gliders. OK, I'm biased, I like mine

John Cochrane