Too close? Too small?

Old June 13th 05, 10:23 PM

Default Too close? Too small?

Was flying a UH13ET recently and hit the tip of a blade on a tree. It
tore the end cap and the blades had to come off for inspection/repair.
Hmmm...a little too close.
Landing on an elevated pad about 10' off the ground and the skids hang
off front and back. Sometimes its a little dicey taking off with a load
and I left skid marks on the ground a couple times.
Flew under some wires yesterday during the takeoff. Seemed easier than
going over them since they were kind of high ones.
I think I'm gonna park the helicopter in an equipment yard instead of
the airport so I don't have to go so far to fly it. Problem is the
equipment is kind of close and not a whole lot of room for error.
Still, it's an interesting confined area to fly in and out of. Wires,
trees, agricultural equipment, and a big barn.
Not crazy about trying to fly into that one in the dark though.
So far in the past 9 days I've flown about 30 hours. that makes for
long days huh?
Oh well, I'm enjoying hell out of myself as long as nothing breaks.

Old June 14th 05, 04:28 PM

Lets correct that to a UH12ET. The one I'm flying now began life as an
Army OH13. Rain this morning so I didn't get to fly all that long.
Little over an hour was all. Still landed on the small pad about 14
times before we called it quits.

Old June 14th 05, 04:34 PM

Didn't even bother to ask what that was all about? Geeezzzz....don't
bother to read anymore of my posts then and don't learn something new.
This board seemed to be getting stale so I thought I'd toss out
something for discussion. Ummmm, last time I looked in my logbook it
was pushing pretty hard on 22,000 hours and well over 8000 in
helicopters. How about you? In addition, my licenses read ATP, MEL,
SELS, IFR Rotor, CFI/IRAM. Long ways from a wannabe.........

Old June 14th 05, 06:04 PM
SHIVER ME TIMBERS

Didn't even bother to ask what that was all about? Geeezzzz....

Musta been a slow day on usenet.

last time I looked in my logbook it
was pushing pretty hard on 22,000 hours and well over 8000 in
helicopters. How about you? In addition, my licenses read ATP, MEL,
SELS, IFR Rotor, CFI/IRAM. Long ways from a wannabe.........

Last time I looked in my logbook there it was..... the twenty five
dollar introductory flight from Cessna.

All forty five minutes of it...... heavy sigh.
Old June 14th 05, 10:00 PM
Beav

wrote in message
oups.com...
I didn't think remote-controled helicopter wannabe's were allowed here.
Go away, you liar.

A little research before spouting off woill save you a LOT of embarassment.

--
Beav (a REAL RC heli flyer)

Reply to "beavis dot original at ntlworld dot com" (with the obvious
changes)

Old June 14th 05, 10:55 PM
Steve R.

"Beav" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I didn't think remote-controled helicopter wannabe's were allowed here.
Go away, you liar.

A little research before spouting off woill save you a LOT of
embarrassment.

--
Beav (a REAL RC heli flyer)

I doubt that it would make any difference, Beav. Folks that go as far out
of their way as that guy did to show what kind of asses they can be are
rarely open minded enough to get embarrassed.

Fly Safe,
Steve R. (another REAL RC heli flyer!)

Old June 15th 05, 04:14 AM

In your first post you state that you had a blade strike, flew under
wires, landed on an obviously too small pad and parked too close to a
building in a very confined area.
What are you trying to do, catch the attention of your local FSO? Or
just displaying every possible bad move all at once?
Where do you fly and for whom? I still say you are an RC guy...

Old June 15th 05, 04:26 AM
SHIVER ME TIMBERS

In your first post you state that you had a blade strike, flew under
wires, landed on an obviously too small pad and parked too close to a
building in a very confined area.
What are you trying to do, catch the attention of your local FSO?

He was probably trying to save his butt.

As an experienced helicopter pilot isn't that what you would be doing
if you happened to have a blade strike, close to wires, in poor
terrain, with very limited landing space.

Speaking of experienced helicopter pilots.... You havn't established
your credentials here yet have you sunny.

As for me.... I'm just a lurker, sometime participant, and armchair
pilot so the only logical comment I can make is that it sounds like
good piloting to me.

And you sound like a troll.

Where do you fly and for whom? I still say you are an RC guy...

I would be willing to bet that the majority of regulars will decide all
on their own that you are an idiot.
Old June 15th 05, 03:02 PM

No experienced rotorcraft pilot would even consider flying UNDER wires,
landing on an obviously too small pad and mention that they had a blade
strike non-chalantly, as if it was a smudge on the windshield.
I am a licensed private pilot flying in southern Virginia. Really.
This moron is just that: a moron who is dreaming about flying and
laughing as you guys lap up his BS.