Tire opinions?

Old September 30th 03, 07:39 PM

Default Tire opinions?

Hey, all... as usual, I figured I'd try to get some opinions on
a new purchase for the Cherokee. Mains are worn out, and I am leaning
towards some McCreary AirHawks. Any thoughts? The plane sits outside,
but has been getting lots of flying in of late. I find it hard to believe
that a tire that costs 2x as much will actually last 2x as long. Any
knowledge here?

Thanks,
-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old September 30th 03, 10:57 PM
Jay Honeck

We've been very happy with re-treaded tires on our Cherokee Pathfinder. They
appear to have a lot more rubber on them than new tires, and my A&P swears
by them...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 30th 03, 11:37 PM
JDupre5762

We've been very happy with re-treaded tires on our Cherokee Pathfinder. They
appear to have a lot more rubber on them than new tires, and my A&P swears
by them...

They don't appear to have more tread, they actually do. There is a requirement
for specific tread depth on a new tire but there is not one for retreads so
retreads can have a thicker tread depth than new and consequently will take
more landings. Probably one of the better values in aviation.

John Dupre'

Old September 30th 03, 11:54 PM
Dave Stadt

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
We've been very happy with re-treaded tires on our Cherokee Pathfinder.

They
appear to have a lot more rubber on them than new tires, and my A&P swears
by them...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

I am definately going with retreads next time around. I talked to the tire
people at OSH and looked at the retreads they had there and the choice
became obvious.

Old September 30th 03, 11:57 PM
Neal

Have a look at the Monster Retreads from Desser
(http://www.desser.com/monster.html)

I put McCreary AirHawks on my Cherokee last year and I'm *very* happy
with them. Lots of folks at my airport swear by Condors too, they just
cost a wee bit more than the AirHawks when I bought tires last year,
so I'm a cheapskate and bought the AirHawks. Our airport owner uses
nothing but Desser's retreads on his C180 and he flies so much that he
actually wears out a set of tires almost every year, so it makes good
financial sense for him.
Old October 1st 03, 01:19 AM
Tom S.

"John Galban" wrote in message
om...
I use Condors exclusively. They're cheaper than average, but they
last a long time. I just replaced my 1st one. Bought it 6 yrs. and
800 hrs ago.

How many landings/takeoff cycles?

It still had some tread on it, but was beginning to get
some sidewall checking. I park outside in Phoenix and that's the 1st
tire I've ever owned that went 6 years. Most of the others lost their
tread or sidewalls after 3 or 4 yrs. in this environment.

Phoenix is a killer for tires, batteries, interiors, hair....

Tom
--
"Democrats who complained that Bush was too slow to act on
doubtful intelligence re 9/11 now profess to be horrified that he

Old October 1st 03, 03:27 AM
Michelle P

Cory,

My airplane came with McCreary's When they wore out I replace them with
Goodyear Flight Custom II. They lasted about three years. I am hard on
tires. Short landing and landing on rough fields. The Goodyear's appear
to be built a little better.

Michelle (a die hard Goodyear fan; car, plane, tractor)

wrote:

Hey, all... as usual, I figured I'd try to get some opinions on
a new purchase for the Cherokee. Mains are worn out, and I am leaning
towards some McCreary AirHawks. Any thoughts? The plane sits outside,
but has been getting lots of flying in of late. I find it hard to believe
that a tire that costs 2x as much will actually last 2x as long. Any
knowledge here?

Thanks,
-Cory

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old October 1st 03, 04:27 AM
Mike Culver

Maybe not for your Cherokee, but certainly for many other planes ot
there are some retro tires from Desser. See the photo at the bottom of
http://www.popav.com/luscombe/ListTe...eDtl.asp?id=38 to see what
I mean. Ordered these online for cheap.

The single best way to make your tires last forever is to land on
grass. Virtually stops the wear...

Mike