Vertical card compasses

Old February 26th 04, 07:41 PM
Dan Luke

Default Vertical card compasses

If you have one, how do you like it? Do you ever notice that it does not
return to the same indication when the airplane returns to the same
heading (hysteresis error)? IOW, if you turn from 090 to 180 and back to
090 according to the HI, would your VCC come all the way back to 090, or
would it stop at 095?

How's yours doing, Jay?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old February 27th 04, 05:08 PM
Jay Honeck

How's yours doing, Jay?

I love(d) mine. Never noticed any errors at all.

Sadly, it went with my Warrior, and I haven't found an excuse to put one in
my Pathfinder -- yet.

The new owners -- good friends of ours -- like the vertical card compass a
lot, too. It's just a superior instrument.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 27th 04, 06:46 PM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
How's yours doing, Jay?

I love(d) mine. Never noticed any errors at all.

Sadly, it went with my Warrior,

Oh, I thought it was in the Pathfinder.

It's just a superior instrument.

I'm lusting for one again. It's Michael's fault for bringing it up in
r.a.ifr.

The bad experiences the local aero club had with two installations have
put me off this far, but I'm weakening.

Old February 27th 04, 11:11 PM
Kyler Laird

"Dan Luke" writes:

The bad experiences the local aero club had with two installations have
put me off this far, but I'm weakening.

Just do it. I like mine.

--kyler
Old February 27th 04, 11:13 PM
Jay Honeck

The bad experiences the local aero club had with two installations have
put me off this far, but I'm weakening.

Like what?

Our VC compass was installed by my A&P, easy as pie, and worked great from
Day One.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 27th 04, 11:35 PM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
The bad experiences the local aero club had with two
installations have put me off this far, but I'm weakening.

Like what?

Hysteresis errors: the compasses wouldn't return to the same indication
when you returned to the previous heading (according to the GPS or HI).

Old February 27th 04, 11:36 PM
Dan Luke

"Kyler Laird" wrote:

Just do it.

Ya know, I think I just will.

Old February 28th 04, 06:03 AM

For what it's worth, I have zero hysteresis with mine. Could be where
it is mounted---they seem to be more sensitive to stray magnetic fields
than whiskey compasses. Mine is mounted on the windshield and works
flawlessly.

Old February 28th 04, 01:10 PM
Dan Luke

For what it's worth, I have zero hysteresis with mine.
Could be where it is mounted---they seem to be
more sensitive to stray magnetic fields
than whiskey compasses.

I'm beginning to suspect that must have been it. Both of the ones I know
of that had this trouble were mounted on the glare shields of 172s.
Trouble is, I also have a 172(RG).

Old February 28th 04, 06:21 PM
Kyler Laird

Mike Spera writes:

Next, I have seen several installations, especially in Pipers, where
some idiot installed the thing buy bolting it onto the GLARESHIELD!

And a super-genius would mount it...uh...where exactly?
http://lairds.org/Kyler/photos/disk0...g/image_viewer

--kyler