Charley Noble???

Old March 22nd 05, 09:55 PM
babygrand

Default Charley Noble???

Any of you really crusty old salts know what a Charley Noble is? I heard
this term the other day from an "ancient mariner", and I hadn't heard it
since 1965, brought back some real good memories. Any one care to take a
crack? Also, anyone know the origin of the term?

babygrand
VP-22

Old March 22nd 05, 09:56 PM
Red Rider

"babygrand" wrote in message
. ..
Any of you really crusty old salts know what a Charley Noble is? I heard
this term the other day from an "ancient mariner", and I hadn't heard it
since 1965, brought back some real good memories. Any one care to take a
crack? Also, anyone know the origin of the term?

babygrand
VP-22

I know.
I know.
I know.
I know.
I know.

But shouldn't it be who "Charley Noble" is?

As in, "Seaman (or Mister) go find Charley Noble and tell him to report
to______ on the double!"

Its too early to revel his identity. Lets wait until tomorrow and see how
many know.

Red

Old March 22nd 05, 10:00 PM
John Miller

babygrand wrote:
Any of you really crusty old salts know what a Charley Noble is? I heard
this term the other day from an "ancient mariner", and I hadn't heard it
since 1965, brought back some real good memories. Any one care to take a
crack? Also, anyone know the origin of the term?

Wow, that *is* a trip down memory lane. Won't give it away, but will
mention that it got its name from 19th century (British) Capt. Noble,
who demanded polish.

--
John Miller, mustang
email domain: n4vu.com; username: jsm(@)
Old March 22nd 05, 11:45 PM
Diamond Jim

"John Miller" wrote in message
babygrand wrote:
Any of you really crusty old salts know what a Charley Noble is? I heard
this term the other day from an "ancient mariner", and I hadn't heard it
since 1965, brought back some real good memories. Any one care to take

crack? Also, anyone know the origin of the term?

Wow, that *is* a trip down memory lane. Won't give it away, but will
mention that it got its name from 19th century (British) Capt. Noble,
who demanded polish.

You forgot the "spit" that goes with that!

I wonder how many of you have ever seen a "Sea Bat"?

Old March 23rd 05, 12:10 AM
John Miller

Diamond Jim wrote:
I wonder how many of you have ever seen a "Sea Bat"?

Or worse, been bit by one...

--
John Miller
email domain: n4vu.com; username: jsm(@)
Old March 23rd 05, 12:33 AM
Greasy Rider© @invalid.com

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:55:51 -0600, "babygrand"
postulated :
Any of you really crusty old salts know what a Charley Noble is? I heard
this term the other day from an "ancient mariner", and I hadn't heard it
since 1965, brought back some real good memories. Any one care to take a
crack? Also, anyone know the origin of the term?

babygrand
VP-22

Google takes the fun out of everything...
Old March 23rd 05, 03:15 AM
Yofuri

babygrand wrote:
Any of you really crusty old salts know what a Charley Noble is? I heard
this term the other day from an "ancient mariner", and I hadn't heard it
since 1965, brought back some real good memories. Any one care to take a
crack? Also, anyone know the origin of the term?

babygrand
VP-22

When I last saw Charley, I was working for the Jack o' the Dust.

Rick
Old March 23rd 05, 01:46 PM
JJ McIntyre

The Galley smokestack. See
http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/CharlieNoble.htm

Old March 23rd 05, 05:18 PM
T Bird

The Jack of the dust . Shine the ships Bell , Ashes make a good Shine .
When I was on USS Bausell DD-845 we had a snipe , His name was Charles
Noble MM1 . Around 72 , Yokosuka .

Old March 23rd 05, 05:19 PM
Red Rider

"wdossel" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 00:10:06 GMT, John Miller wrote:

Diamond Jim wrote:
I wonder how many of you have ever seen a "Sea Bat"?

Or worse, been bit by one...

I *was* one (from 89-91) w/VAW-127 Seabats
Will Dossel
Last of the Steeljaws (VAW-122)

No! nine! nyet! nonka! hell no! Wrong kind of a seabat. He is talking about
the kind that hitched a ride out to the ship and you just found hiding in
your aircraft. grin Of course if the blackshoe (preferably the ships Lt),
wanted to see him he would have to bend over and carefully peak into the box
with letting the seabat escape.