C-182 pattern help

Old September 14th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
SilkB

Default C-182 pattern help

I am just starting to fly a C-182T and I was wondering if anyone has
any tips for the settings in the pattern/approach.
I have done most of my hours on C172, but when transitioning to C182 I
noticed that it's hard to get this plane down in the pattern. I enter
the pattern at 17"MP (to slow down) and abeam the numbers I lower it
to 15"MP while putting in 1 notch of flaps and trimming for 90-95KTS.
On base I put in another notch of flaps and trim for 85KTS and the
final notch of flaps on final while keeping 70-75KTS.
My problem is that with these settings the plane is not really
descending until the base to final turn where I need to cut down the
power completely. I would have liked to keep about 15"MP in all the
way to the round-out to make the landing nice and soft.
Any tips?

Thanks.

Old September 14th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Check your gross weight vs. speed, I think you're too fast
and need to fly a little slower. You're making flap
extension too big an issue, slow down and put the flaps
down. Pay more attention to the outside world indicator and
aim for the runway.

OWI, windows.

oups.com...

Old September 14th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Reduce power to 15" farther out. No reason you can't be at 70 kts on
midfield downwind with no flaps. At midfield flaps 20 and reduce power
some more, 12-13". On final either leave the flaps where they are or
use full flaps. Power at about 10" or whatever it takes to maintain
55-60 kts.

Old September 14th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ben Jackson

On 2006-09-14, SilkB wrote:
the pattern at 17"MP (to slow down) and abeam the numbers I lower it
to 15"MP while putting in 1 notch of flaps and trimming for 90-95KTS.

That sounds a little high. I fly a Comanche which also has an IO-540,
and I use 15" in the pattern and 12" abeam the numbers. I touch down
with the power off. The last bit of throttle is pretty dramatic. From
12" down to min goes from about 500fpm to 1000fpm+. At 15" and even
with full flaps I might even be able to maintain level flight.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old September 15th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

I fly 182's all the time in forestry patrol. For one thing, you don't need
30 degrees of flaps unless you really want to do a short field landing.
I also think 15" of MP is too much. Try 12" or so and see what happens.

Old September 15th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Ben Jackson wrote:
That sounds a little high. I fly a Comanche which also has an IO-540,
and I use 15" in the pattern and 12" abeam the numbers. I touch down
with the power off. The last bit of throttle is pretty dramatic. From
12" down to min goes from about 500fpm to 1000fpm+. At 15" and even
with full flaps I might even be able to maintain level flight.

I noticed a big change in the difference in the last inch or so of MP
when I went from a 2 blade to a 3 blade prop in my PA24-250. What prop
do you have?

Old September 15th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ben Jackson

On 2006-09-14, kontiki wrote:
Ben Jackson wrote:
That sounds a little high. I fly a Comanche which also has an IO-540,
and I use 15" in the pattern and 12" abeam the numbers. I touch down
with the power off. The last bit of throttle is pretty dramatic.

I noticed a big change in the difference in the last inch or so of MP
when I went from a 2 blade to a 3 blade prop in my PA24-250. What prop
do you have?

I have the 2 blade "compact" prop. I'm not sure what "compact" means,
other than it's not subject to the AD that has caused many Comanche
owners to go to 3 blade props!

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old September 15th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
SilkB

Thanks for all your comments.
I will try to come into the pattern with less power and use less power
throughout the pattern. From your comments, I looks to me that I was
coming in with too much speed into the pattern and I carried the energy
around to the final.

Thanks for the help.

Old September 15th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

SilkB wrote:

I am just starting to fly a C-182T and I was wondering if anyone has
any tips for the settings in the pattern/approach.
I have done most of my hours on C172, but when transitioning to C182 I
noticed that it's hard to get this plane down in the pattern. I enter
the pattern at 17"MP (to slow down) and abeam the numbers I lower it
to 15"MP while putting in 1 notch of flaps and trimming for 90-95KTS.
On base I put in another notch of flaps and trim for 85KTS and the
final notch of flaps on final while keeping 70-75KTS.
My problem is that with these settings the plane is not really
descending until the base to final turn where I need to cut down the
power completely. I would have liked to keep about 15"MP in all the
way to the round-out to make the landing nice and soft.
Any tips?

Start slowing down well before you enter the pattern. You should be
under 100 knots at the time of patter entry, preferably 80-90. I always
tried to be at 80 MPH (mine was a 1967 and was referenced to MPH, not
knots) when abeam the numbers. I'd then pull on carb heat, pull the
power to idle, crank in two handfuls of nose-up trim and apply flaps 10.
This would keep me close to 80 MPH with a decent descent rate. Turn
base once the above is done and select flaps 20 keeping the speed at 80
MPH. Turn final and select flaps 40 immediately if a little high or
delay until short final if a little low. Cross the threshold at 70 MPH
or a little slower and land. Should have no need to carry power or add
power to land.

Matt