F-15/16 Harpoon ( Was: B-52/Harpoon)

Old October 15th 03, 05:51 PM
Matt Wiser

(Allen Thomson) wrote:
Somewhat against my better judgment, I got interested
in the current
Harpoon discussions and, googling about, found

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/.../wep-harp.html

The Harpoon missile has been integrated on
foreign F-16 aircraft
and is presently being integrated on foreign
F-15 aircraft.

So the question is, what countries have/are
getting Harpoon
capability?

As for the F-16, the answer seems to be ROK,
Japan, Saudi Arabia,
Israel, Greece, Poland, etc. Whether they actually
implement the
capability is TBD.

http://www.geocities.com/~jask16/airforce/F16.html
Armament:
[other stuff]
AGM-84 Harpoon (block 50 only)

But I haven't been able to find information
on who is or might be
getting the F-15 Harpoon versions. Anybody know?

ROK's F-15K version would be likely, and maybe the F-15I the Israelis fly
as well. RSAF has Tornado with Sea Eagle, so they might not need their S's
Harpoon-capable.

Old October 16th 03, 01:11 AM
Thomas Schoene

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message

"Thomas Schoene" wrote:

Harpoon is part of the armament package offered for the ROK's
F-15Ks.

But we won't need to worry about them modifying it for land attack
purposes.

Of course not. It comes that way already -- the standard Harpoon Block II
has limited land-attack capability via GPS/INS navigation.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old October 16th 03, 04:54 AM
Fred J. McCall

: "Thomas Schoene" wrote:
:
: Harpoon is part of the armament package offered for the ROK's
: F-15Ks.
:
: But we won't need to worry about them modifying it for land attack
: purposes.
:
:Of course not. It comes that way already -- the standard Harpoon Block II
:has limited land-attack capability via GPS/INS navigation.

Very limited. But that's not why we don't have to worry about it.

--
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."
-- Charles Pinckney
Old October 16th 03, 04:58 AM
Thomas Schoene

"Thomas Schoene" wrote:

Of course not. It comes that way already -- the standard Harpoon
Block II has limited land-attack capability via GPS/INS navigation.

Very limited.

Accuracy should be comparable to a JDAM (since it uses the same guidance
package). That's not a TLAM, but it is better than a poke in the eye with a
sharp stick.

But that's not why we don't have to worry about it.

Fred, if you have a point, please just make it already. This eliptical BS
is getting very tedious.

Old October 16th 03, 02:29 PM
Fred J. McCall

: "Thomas Schoene" wrote:
:
: Of course not. It comes that way already -- the standard Harpoon
: Block II has limited land-attack capability via GPS/INS navigation.
:
: Very limited.
:
:Accuracy should be comparable to a JDAM (since it uses the same guidance
ackage). That's not a TLAM, but it is better than a poke in the eye with a
:sharp stick.

It's not an accuracy issue. We're back to the 'how do it fly' issue.
Note that the GPS is NOT really intended to allow you to attack land
targets, but rather to do littoral work and use it in crowded
waterways.

: But that's not why we don't have to worry about it.
:
:Fred, if you have a point, please just make it already. This eliptical BS
:is getting very tedious.

The point was made over a day ago. The folks buying these are also
buying purpose-built ASMs as part of the packages.

Do try to keep up, won't you?

[Hey, YOU decided to start off with the snotty comments. I just
thought I'd return the favour.]

Old October 16th 03, 05:21 PM
Thomas Schoene

"Thomas Schoene" wrote:

Accuracy should be comparable to a JDAM (since it uses the same
guidance package). That's not a TLAM, but it is better than a poke
in the eye with a sharp stick.

It's not an accuracy issue. We're back to the 'how do it fly' issue.
Note that the GPS is NOT really intended to allow you to attack land
targets, but rather to do littoral work and use it in crowded
waterways.

Yes, I know. But the fact remains that it will fly to a set of GPS
coordinates and go bang. I call that a limited land-attack capability.

But that's not why we don't have to worry about it.

Fred, if you have a point, please just make it already. This
eliptical BS is getting very tedious.

The point was made over a day ago. The folks buying these are also
buying purpose-built ASMs as part of the packages.

Sorry Fred, I see no sign of such a post in the articles I have received in
this thread. It's possible something didn't make it to me, I suppose. If
it was somewhere in the Israeli thread instead, but I gave up on that one a
couple of days ago.

Old October 16th 03, 07:57 PM
Alan Minyard

: "Thomas Schoene" wrote:
:
: Of course not. It comes that way already -- the standard Harpoon
: Block II has limited land-attack capability via GPS/INS navigation.
:
: Very limited.
:
:Accuracy should be comparable to a JDAM (since it uses the same guidance
ackage). That's not a TLAM, but it is better than a poke in the eye with a
:sharp stick.

It's not an accuracy issue. We're back to the 'how do it fly' issue.
Note that the GPS is NOT really intended to allow you to attack land
targets, but rather to do littoral work and use it in crowded
waterways.

GPS is intended to be accurate everywhere, land, sea, or ice cap, it
makes no difference.

Al Minyard
Old October 17th 03, 04:20 AM
Fred J. McCall

"Thomas Schoene" wrote:

:"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message

: "Thomas Schoene" wrote:
:
:
: Accuracy should be comparable to a JDAM (since it uses the same
: guidance package). That's not a TLAM, but it is better than a poke
: in the eye with a sharp stick.
:
: It's not an accuracy issue. We're back to the 'how do it fly' issue.
: Note that the GPS is NOT really intended to allow you to attack land
: targets, but rather to do littoral work and use it in crowded
: waterways.
:
:Yes, I know. But the fact remains that it will fly to a set of GPS
:coordinates and go bang. I call that a limited land-attack capability.

So do I. Very limited, since it's not much good in any but the
flattest terrain. Oh, you could presumably deliberately use air
launched to what is essentially a 'line of sight' point, but surely
there are so many better weapons for that that no one would do it.

: But that's not why we don't have to worry about it.
:
: Fred, if you have a point, please just make it already. This
: eliptical BS is getting very tedious.
:
: The point was made over a day ago. The folks buying these are also
: buying purpose-built ASMs as part of the packages.
:
:Sorry Fred, I see no sign of such a post in the articles I have received in
:this thread. It's possible something didn't make it to me, I suppose. If
:it was somewhere in the Israeli thread instead, but I gave up on that one a
:couple of days ago.

Someone from Korea (pretty sure it was in this thread, but maybe not)
commented on the F-15K deal shortly after I posted my remark the first
time with something along the lines of "That's right, because we're
buying SLAM-ER, too."

Old October 18th 03, 12:34 AM
Thomas Schoene

"Thomas Schoene" wrote:
Yes, I know. But the fact remains that it will fly to a set of GPS
coordinates and go bang. I call that a limited land-attack
capability.

So do I. Very limited, since it's not much good in any but the
flattest terrain. Oh, you could presumably deliberately use air
launched to what is essentially a 'line of sight' point, but surely
there are so many better weapons for that that no one would do it.

I suspect it may get used from time to time, especially against port
facilities. Some navies with Harpoon II have no other options right now.

It's hard to tell, but some sources suggest that the Advanced Harpoon
control system can produice overland flight profiles, presumably including
some terrin clearance.

Someone from Korea (pretty sure it was in this thread, but maybe not)
commented on the F-15K deal shortly after I posted my remark the first
time with something along the lines of "That's right, because we're
buying SLAM-ER, too."

OTOH, you said the same thing about Poland, and their package includes only
JDAM and JSOW, not a powered stand-off weapon like SLAM-ER.