West coast soaring - where and when?

Old February 22nd 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uros

Default West coast soaring - where and when?

I would like to spend some time flying in Nevada (or some other place
on the West coast) and because of that I would like to ask you:
- which place would you recommend
- when is the best time to visit
- where I can rent glider

Best regards

Uros
Old February 22nd 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fbrahic

In the summertime, many of us enjoy flying in either Truckee
(soartruckee.com) or Minden (soarminden.com). Both are near lake
Tahoe, right on the border of California and Nevada. Both have
exceptional soaring conditions in the summertime.

I've never flown Minden, but I can highly recommend Soar Truckee. It's
a wonderful place with lots of friendly people, great soaring
conditions, a nice campground, and an all-around high quality
operation.

I'm not familiar with how rentals work at either one of these places.
If you're planning on flying there many times, it might be worth
joining one of the clubs that operate out of these airports in the
summertime. I'm a member of BASA (flybasa.org), which is a great and
very well equipped club. I know that NCSA (Northern California Soaring
Association) and Silverado also base gliders in Truckee in the summer.

Air sailing is another glider operation in the area, near Reno. I've
never been there, but I've heard it's a good place and the cost of
tows is supposed to be quite reasonable. http://www.airsailing.org/

Enjoy,

Francois

Old February 23rd 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 22, 2:14*pm, Uros wrote:
I would like to spend some time flying in Nevada (or some other place
on the West coast) and because of that I would like to ask you:
* * * * - which place would you recommend
* * * * - when is the best time to visit
* * * * - where I can rent glider

Best regards

Uros

Before you go to Soar Minden be sure you completely understand the
insurance requirements.

Old February 23rd 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Uros, make sure you get together with Fred in the emails to make sure you
have all of the US certificates you need to fly US registered aircraft.

BT

Old February 23rd 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
raulb

There are several excellent commercial gliderports:

Soar Minden, in Douglas Co. Nevada, near Lake Tahoe
Air Sailing, in Sparks, Nevada, near Reno
Soar Truckee, Truckee, California, near Lake Tahoe
Craggy Aero, in Montague, California, near Mt. Shasta
Williams Soaring, in Williams, California, near Mt Shasta
Jean, near Las Vegas, Nevada
Bay Area Soaring, in Hollister, California, southeast of San Francisco
Skylark Niorth, in Tehachapi, California
Caricole Soaring, in California City, California
Great American Soaring, at Llano, California, near Palmdale
Sailplane Enterprises, in Hemet, California
Sky Sailing, in Warner Springs, California

For more information, see: http://www.ssa.org
click on "About Soaring"
click on "Where to Fly"
click on the map
click on "Continue"
click on the map of California (it will also give you the Nevada
sites)
click on a city

Old February 23rd 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hal[_2_]

On Feb 22, 1:14*pm, Uros wrote:

I would like to spend some time flying in Nevada (or some other place
on the West coast) and because of that I would like to ask you:
* * * * - which place would you recommend
* * * * - when is the best time to visit
* * * * - where I can rent glider

Best regards

Uros- Hide quoted text -

Williams Soaring has the best rental fleet in the area and the best
instructor Kenny Price. Williams will be running a contest up at
Montague (Northern calif) this summer in late June and early July
which is another great place to fly.

Truckee has outstanding conditions and great service but they do not
have any rentals. If you like flying something not made of fibreglass
you should look into Air Sailing in Nevada.
Old February 23rd 08, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uros

Thank you for the answer.

Can you please tell me when is the best time to visit Nevada (or
California) gliding sites. I would also like to know what is the
ususal deal with the insurance.

Best regards

Uros