Careless Linemen

Old May 28th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Careless Linemen

"MH" == Martin Hotze writes:

MH On Fri, 26 May 2006 21:26:15 -0700, Bob Fry wrote:
And for the lineguys that fill the tanks properly...how 'bout a
nice tip?

MH why? it is his job.

Because, Martin, in Europe even the lowest paid employee gets health
coverage, vacation, probably a decent wage, etc.

Here they get squat. That is American slang for little to nothing.

On overnight cross-country trips I tip the person who drives the car
to pick me up at the airport and takes me to the motel. Why? Because
maybe that way they'll be happy to get a call from some lone pilot
needing a ride into town, instead of ignoring the call.

General aviation has few friends in this country. A few bucks spread
around doesn't cost me anything in relation to flying costs, and may
generate a few more friends of small planes.
Old May 28th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 28 May 2006 12:31:31 -0700, Bob Fry wrote:

Because, Martin, in Europe even the lowest paid employee gets health
coverage, vacation, probably a decent wage, etc.

well, don't put whole Europe in one pot. Many countries here have squat,
too (like you call it). Even in the old countries there are more and more
people working on 2 jobs, govt paying less but taxing more, you get the
picture.

Here they get squat. That is American slang for little to nothing.

On overnight cross-country trips I tip the person who drives the car
to pick me up at the airport and takes me to the motel. Why? Because
maybe that way they'll be happy to get a call from some lone pilot
needing a ride into town, instead of ignoring the call.

I see no problem here. It is a way to say "hey, thanks for coming out,
appreciate!"

General aviation has few friends in this country. A few bucks spread
around doesn't cost me anything in relation to flying costs, and may
generate a few more friends of small planes.

#m
--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough
Old May 29th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
Jonathan Simpson wrote:

The response varies. Apparently they can get fined for allowing
non-Professional Dispensing Engineers to touch the gasoline pumping
machine apparatus. Attempting to do so can get you a very stern warning
or shout followed by who-knows-what. If the professional dispensing
engineer doesn't see you (not likely) or just doesn't give a damn you
may be in better luck. It's particularly frustrating when you just want
to fill a portable can and not have someone spill the gasoline you are
paying for all over the place.

I was in NJ the other day, and was happy to take advantage of the $0.25/gal
cheaper gas prices compared to NY, while the PDE got his hands dirty
instead of me.

What I really don't understand is the sign they had about filling cans. I
don't remember the exact wording, but it essentially said you can only
dispense gasoline into an approved metal container OR a container that's
red. So, as long as the container is red, it doesn't need to be approved?
I can drive up with a sheep's bladder or a hollowed-out gourd and fill that
with gas, as long as it's painted red? And I let the PDE do the
dispensing, of course.
Old May 29th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Prof. Dispensing Engineers

What happens in New Jersey or Oregon if you land an airplane after
hours and need to refuel? No good?
Old May 29th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jonathan Simpson wrote:

Others said that NJ
drivers are too stupid to pump their gas because they aren't used to it
and they could all blow themselves up.

Must be true based upon the politicians New Jersey residents continue to elect.

New Jersey is proof that the Peter Principle lives on.

Old May 29th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jonathan Simpson wrote in news:P4adnUR0JYzV0ufZRVn-
:

Skywise wrote:
Jonathan Simpson wrote in

:

entire requote snipped
Jim Macklin wrote:

Another reason not to live in New Jersey.

Or Oregon, same deal there with respect to full serve gasoline.

What happens if you insist on pumping the gas yourself?

There is no way I'd trust someone else to put gas into
my Harley. The technique required is similar to what I've
been reading of late for filling airplanes.

The response varies. Apparently they can get fined for allowing
non-Professional Dispensing Engineers to touch the gasoline pumping
machine apparatus. Attempting to do so can get you a very stern warning
or shout followed by who-knows-what. If the professional dispensing
engineer doesn't see you (not likely) or just doesn't give a damn you
may be in better luck. It's particularly frustrating when you just want
to fill a portable can and not have someone spill the gasoline you are
paying for all over the place.

Interesting. The way the tank on my bike is designed you can't
shove the nozzle in very far. But even so, if you do shove it
in, the nozzle's automatic shut-off will trip long before the
tank is full, since you basically have the nozzle IN the tank.
Here in the Mexicican occupied Republik of Kalifornia we also
have vapor trap shrouds around the nozzle. I have to manually
pull the shroud back to get the gas to dispense. The shroud
has to be pushed back far enough to let the gas flow. Just
shoving the nozzle into my tank doesn't push it back far enough.

For those that know Harleys, I have an '86 Sporster 883 with the
stock peanut tank.

Since I'm not planning on riding my bike through Oregon on Jersy
any time soon, I guess I don't need to worry about. But it'd
be fun to test them on it anyway.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old May 30th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

kontiki wrote:

Jonathan Simpson wrote:

Others said that NJ
drivers are too stupid to pump their gas because they aren't used to it
and they could all blow themselves up.

Must be true based upon the politicians New Jersey residents continue to elect.

New Jersey is proof that the Peter Principle lives on.

Which policiticans are you referring to and who are your elected politicians?

-Fred who doesn't live in New Jersey

Old May 30th 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

My aieport (77S, Creswell, OR) is all self serve. The silly car law to
which you refer does not apply to aircraft here.

Ben Hallert, PP-ASEL