Careless Linemen

Old May 30th 06, 11:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Careless Linemen

Fred wrote:
Which policiticans are you referring to and who are your elected politicians?

-Fred who doesn't live in New Jersey

Right off the top of my head I can think of the current Governor (Corzine)
and the one he replaced, as well as Lautenburg, who's been recycled a few times.

I was born and grew up in NJ but left after college and never looked back.
I've lived in the South most of my life... best thing I ever did.

Old May 30th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

ditto, except I never lived in NJ.

some support

Old May 30th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

by Ron Natalie May 28, 2006 at 09:14 AM

That's because the airports and the marinas weren't the one that got
that law put in placed. Despite the bogus claims of safety, the
reason the law exists is because the small gas station owners banded
together with enough political clout to stave off the single
employee mega gas and go that they feared would put them out of business

Maybe they have a Gas Station Owners and Pumpers Association to protect
their "rights."

Old May 30th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 May 2006 17:43:32 -0700, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

Tell you what I suggest for the futu Lay hands on enough rubber or soft
plastic to cover the area of the filler with a good margin around it, and
cut out a circle just a tad larger than the filler opening. Tell the
lineboy
to put it in place before inserting the nozzle. I'll bet you could go to a
second-hand store and pick up place mats, dish mats, etc that would do the
job for pennies.

Some of my local airports keep these on the fuel island, usually made
from cheesy rubber porch mats. One of 'em has a flaming Tweety Bird
with "All Fired Up" embossed in the plastic. It was probably $1.99 at
a junk store.

If it's a dollar store item , it could always be left on the island
(or truck) for the benefit of all.

RubberMaid dishmat. It has the little suction cups on the back to make
it anti-skid(an aviation term). They are also high temp tolerant(dish soap),
and will not leave marks on the airplane. A hole just big enough to get the
cap through(split at the edges to make cap removal easier), will protect the
area from fuel caps and the retaining chains. As a lineman, I was thrilled
to have these show up. When I fueled a classic it made me look like I knew
what I was doing.

Al

Old May 30th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"karl gruber" wrote in message
Actually, in Oregon, it IS against the law to fuel your own airplane.
Can't fuel your own car either.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

Really? Cite?

Al

Old May 30th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Al" wrote:
"karl gruber" wrote in message
Actually, in Oregon, it IS against the law to fuel your own airplane.
Can't fuel your own car either.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

Really? Cite?

I can provide a citation that shows motorcycle drivers and pilots at
certain airports are exempt from Oregon's fuelish law:

"Exemptions to Oregon’s fueling laws allow certain individuals and
businesses to dispense Class 1 flammable liquids (gasoline). Those
exemptions a

1. Pilots may fuel their own aircraft at airports permitted by the
Oregon Department of Aviation.
2. Motorcyclists, operating their motorcycle, may handle the nozzle to
dispense gasoline. If a motorcyclist wants to fuel their motorcycle, the
retail station attendant is required to activate the pump and hand the
nozzle to the motorcyclist. When the fueling is complete, the motorcyclist
is required to hand the nozzle back to the attendant to deactivate the
dispenser. A motorcyclist may not activate or deactivate the fuel
dispensing devices."

From:
http://www.oregon.gov/OOHS/SFM/Cardlock_Program.shtml
Old May 30th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yep, they do, but it isn't called that.

lkaboutaviation.com...

Old May 30th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Logajan wrote in
:

"Al" wrote:
[...]

From:
http://www.oregon.gov/OOHS/SFM/Cardlock_Program.shtml

Thank you for that info. Although I like to turn off the pump
and then squeeze out the last drops before hanging up the nozzle.
I've seen enough fuel come out of the hose that way to get me
half a mile down the road!

Although I'd still be very reluctant to let anyone fuel my car
either. That'd be especially so if I had, say, a very expensive
car, something unique, a 'classic', etc....

Hell, what's the purpose of this insane law, anyway? Got any
info on that part?

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old May 30th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Skywise wrote:
Hell, what's the purpose of this insane law, anyway? Got any
info on that part?

It's for safety purposes. The general public does not have the
required skills and training to pump gasoline, ergo you need a
professional for the job to keep accidents from happening.
(/sarcasm_off)

I've seen some idiots before who would talk on the phone or smoke a
cigarette while pumping gas, but IMHO I find a state law telling me
that I'm not competent to pump gas very insulting.

Mike

Old May 30th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Skywise wrote:
Hell, what's the purpose of this insane law, anyway? Got any
info on that part?

The alleged reasons are itemized in "480.315 Policy" of the relevant
statutes, found he

http://www.oregon.gov/OOHS/SFM/docs/...ules080505.pdf

That these issues have been shown to be false or grossly exaggerated in 48
other states has not appeared to phase the legislature or allegedly Oregon
voters (last time they were given the option to dump the law in 1982 the
voters said no thanks).

But getting back to aviation - at least pilots can now rest easy knowing
they can fuel their own aircraft when landing in Oregon.