DG300 Tail weight

Old September 4th 06, 03:31 AM
John Schaffer John Schaffer is offline
Junior Member

Default DG300 Tail weight

I have a DG300 that has two tubes fiberglassed into the tail along the verticle stabilizer hinge line. These tubes are roughly 1" in diameter. According to the book it is for tailweight. The manual does not seem to explain how to use this feature or how to secure the weights. First impression is a lead bar similar to the old window sash bars. But how do you secure them so they do not move around? Thanx for any light you can shed

John
DG300 "XLT"
Old September 4th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

did you send an email to DG? or to the US DG Sales Rep?

"John Schaffer" wrote in
message . ..

--
John Schaffer

Old September 4th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

If you don't already have a brass tail wheel, this is another option to
move the CG back, and it is not too hard to swap in and out if needed.
On my DG-303 the DG factory brass tail wheel (probably for a DG-1000,
required a little machining to narrow it to fit into the DG-303, I'm
not sure if AMS-Flight could provide one that fitted exactly). The
tailwheel weighs somewhere around 8 pounds, I can't remember exactly.

I'm around 185lb with parachute and with all equipment on board and a
brass tail wheel the CG was back around 85% which is great for acro
(spins nicely), for cross country it is too twitchy and I ballance it
more forward with two of the standard weights in the cockpit floor
compartment.

It is nice if you find somebody with scales so you can be really sure
where the CG is if you play around with things.

Darryl
DG-303 Acro 6DX

Old September 12th 06, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glidingstuff

The standard procedure at the factory was to get an amount of lead shot
the weight you wanted to add. Mix it with some epoxy resin and pour it
into the tubes. Like it set and away you go.

Maybe better would be loose lead shot with a plug of plaster on top
that you can remove if you would like to make the tail lighter when a
smaller pilot owns it.

Paul

http;//www.glidingstuff.co.nz

Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM
The prone postion for tail gunners versus turrets. The Enlightenment Military Aviation 8 July 22nd 03 11:01 PM