The Idiot without the NOTAM

Old August 2nd 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_1_]

Default The Idiot without the NOTAM

Al wrote:

"Do you have the NOTAM?"
"No."
"Then I suggest you go back to the airport and get it."

He could have gone to ANY airport that I've ever seen and printed the
NOTAM from DUATS, etc... It's not like he would have had to go all the
way back to PA.

He probably departed without the correct procedures as well. G
Old August 2nd 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_1_]

I sent this email to the two FBO's at Latrobe airport:

You may have a customer in a Cessna 172 N9553A who recently flew into
Oshkosh for the EAA convention. He has been the subject of significant
debate on the internet regarding his lack of preparation or knowledge of the
appropriate notams and approach procedures.

The newsgroup rec.aviation.piloting has most of the thread. The N number as
well as the corporate owner of the plane have been identifed on the web as
well.

Here is some of the recorded communication for his interest:
http://tinyurl.com/lu6uu

He may be interested in listening to this as well as reading the thread

Hopefully we will all have learned from this experience.

Old August 2nd 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack[_1_]

("Mike Adams" wrote)
Wow! That's incredible! I couldn't figure out what this long thread was
about until I just listened to it. It's so bad, it almost sounds like
satire - someone making a recording trying to sound as bad as possible.

That is just awful, and totally embarrassing - it makes all genav look
bad.

http://tinyurl.com/lu6uu

I think ATC helps out the odd person, or two, or three, "on frequency"
because they know there are other unsure lurkers (in the air) who will,
also, be helped by having this info.

Montblack

Old August 2nd 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Morgans" wrote in message

I don't think you realize the inner workings of the ATC system at OSH.

What makes you think that? Do you think you realize the inner workings of
the ATC system at OSH?

Have
you ever done the OSH controlling?

Yes, for nine years, from Aurora Illinois.

They have plenty of people spotting, and on stanby, that making a phone
call
would be small potatoes.

Why they gonna call?

Old August 2nd 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 23:59:31 GMT, "gatt"
wrote:
Listening to it right now. I half expect to hear "My dog ate my sectional."

Never had my dog eat my sectional, but I've had them blow out of the
cockpit when I had the canopy back...
Old August 2nd 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Viperdoc wrote:

Here is some of the recorded communication for his interest:
http://tinyurl.com/lu6uu

Keep in mind that Spread-It.com, the site I initially chose to host that
clip and the link to which the TinyURL link above resolves, only offers the
file for download two weeks from the initial day it was uploaded (in this
case, the last week of July).

If you need a more permeant location, we would need to find a better home
for the clip. I have webspace I could use, if needed.

--
Peter
Old August 2nd 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

"Peter R." wrote:

If you need a more permeant location,

Uh, that would be "permanent," nor "permeant."

--
Peter
Old August 2nd 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

wrote:
Listening to it right now. I half expect to hear "My dog ate my sectional."

Never had my dog eat my sectional, but I've had them blow out of the
cockpit when I had the canopy back...

I was listening to the OSH feed on LiveATC this past Sunday afternoon.
The C-54 requested to taxi to Baslers. ATC queried as to the reason. The
response, "We just had our chart sucked out the window, so we need to
get another one."
Old August 2nd 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

The owner's name may be found using Google. If you do a Google search
on the street address from the registration name, a PDF file is found
that contains a statement the guy made during some airport commision
meeting. He describes himself as owning a number of aircraft and being
in aviation for 25 years so he may very well be the owner but not the
operator.

His initials are V.S.

Marco

Old August 2nd 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 17:50:34 GMT, john smith wrote:
I was listening to the OSH feed on LiveATC this past Sunday afternoon.
The C-54 requested to taxi to Baslers. ATC queried as to the reason. The
response, "We just had our chart sucked out the window, so we need to
get another one."

The times that I've had it happen, it was always in flight... One was
on my first trip to OSH...

It sucks having to look up at the last minute an airport's frequencies
in the AOPA airport guide or AFD instead of just seeing it on the
map...