Funny Scammer

Old August 8th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_2_]

Default Funny Scammer

I just received the following email in response to an ad I posted on R.A.M.:

Old August 8th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Steve Foley" said:
I just received the following email in response to an ad I posted on R.A.M.:
and shipping arrangment..i will like to deposit a sum of $5000 via a
certified check drwan united state..

I'd be curious to see who shows up for the 'inspection of the car'.

They won't. They'll email you to say that they decided not to go ahead,
and please refund the deposit. It will all be carefully timed so that
your bank won't discover that the certified check is a fake until you've
sent these people back a non-fake $5,000.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"God be between you and harm, in all the empty places that you must walk"
Old August 8th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_2_]

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Steve Foley" said:
I just received the following email in response to an ad I posted on
R.A.M.:
and shipping arrangment..i will like to deposit a sum of $5000 via a
certified check drwan united state..

I'd be curious to see who shows up for the 'inspection of the car'.

They won't. They'll email you to say that they decided not to go ahead,
and please refund the deposit. It will all be carefully timed so that
your bank won't discover that the certified check is a fake until you've
sent these people back a non-fake $5,000.

Interesting twist.

They said (or tried to - spelling was bad) that the check would be drawn on
a US bank. Is the check completely bogus, or do they use someone else's
account number on it?

In any event, if I were stupid enough to fall for this, I would not be
refunding a deposit. What is the point of accepting a deposit if you're just
going to give it back?

Old August 8th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

"Steve Foley" wrote:

[...]

Those spammer/scammers are present on all the for-sale groups. I got the
same email, almost verbatim, after posting a couple of different ads on
Craig's List, and daughter in another state said she got the same
response too ... all saying "hey no problem with the price, but send me
all your pertinent info so I can issue you a certified check." Yeah,
right!
Old August 8th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Isaksen

Cool,... just tell them to make it out to "CASH" and give em a PO Box.

"Steve Foley" wrote ...

Old August 8th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken Finney

"Mike Isaksen" wrote in message
Cool,... just tell them to make it out to "CASH" and give em a PO Box.

"Steve Foley" wrote ...
I just received the following email in response to an ad I posted on
R.A.M.:

..i will like to deposit a sum of $5000 via a certified check drwan
united state..

I've got a neighbor that almost got scammed. The check was on a good
account, and the signature was valid. The problem was that the check number
had previously been cleared and the payee and cancellation information
"washed off". These people are good. And now that magnetic ink is widely
available, will get even better.

Old August 8th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
S Green

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
[...]

The other variant of the scam is to "overpay" for the goods. They ask you to
refund the overpayment in cash and take the goods and cash. It is
restricted to a couple of hundred $$ but its mounts up. They then sell the
goods to someone else and clean up.

Old August 8th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_2_]

"Ken Finney" wrote in message

"Mike Isaksen" wrote in message
Cool,... just tell them to make it out to "CASH" and give em a PO Box.

"Steve Foley" wrote ...
I just received the following email in response to an ad I posted on
R.A.M.:

..i will like to deposit a sum of $5000 via a certified check drwan
united state..

I've got a neighbor that almost got scammed. The check was on a good
account, and the signature was valid. The problem was that the check
number had previously been cleared and the payee and cancellation
information "washed off". These people are good. And now that magnetic
ink is widely available, will get even better.

The signature may have looked 'good', but it must have been forged. Not too
tough with computers printing signed checks these days.

I wonder who would have been stuck, had your neighbor accepted and cashed
the check?

I had a checkbook stolen a few years back. I closed the account, but the
thief wrote Wal-Mart a check. It bounced, and Wal-Mart filed a complaint
against me. When the DA got ahold of it, they told me to sign an affidavit
stating the check was forged. Problem was they refused to show me the check.
With that scenario, I don't see how I would have gotten the money back from
Wal-Mart, had I not closed the account.

Old August 8th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

http://www.used-car-advisor.com/car-buyer-scam.htm

Another more deadly twist on this happened to a customer at our local bank.
In addition to sending the "excess funds" to the scammer, the seller was
talked into signing the title and mailing it to the scammer so he could have
his "associate insure the car while it was in storage at the original owners
location as the car would be picked up at a later date". Then the scammer
used the car title to obtain a title loan from a title loan company which he
defaulted on, turning the title of the car over to the bank for
repossession. The bank would then have to collect the car from "storage" at
the original owners location.

The owner lost the car plus the excess money that she sent the scammer.
Since then this scam has been listed on the websites of several states
attorneys general.

Jim

Old August 8th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

My wife is the internal auditor at our local bank. She says the most common
method of fraud involving bank drafts is this type of fraud. The actual
paper that the draft is written on is either stolen or reproduced, the
account number is a valid account with adequate funds, the signature is
authentic but the bank draft number (check number) is a previously used
number. So when the bank cashing the draft calls the bank on which the
draft has been drawn for verification, they are informed that the account
number is valid, sufficient funds to cash the draft are in place, and the
account holders name is correct. Most tellers won't bother to give the
draft number to the drawing bank to double check whether or not it has been
used in the passed. By useing the "asssociate" to handle the transaction,
the scammer can claim they are innocent victims also. "What do you mean
somebody forged a fake bank draft on my account? I won't be charged will
I?" Or if the cashing bank doesn't catch the fraud the scammer can call
attention to it like "Hey Mr banker, you already drew the funds from my
account on that bank draft, I have a copy right here." The scammer assumes
a fake identity only as the "associate" when dealing with the victim, his ID
and relationship with his own bank remain secure.
Jim

"Ken Finney" wrote in message

[...]

%%%%HOW TO BE FUNNY!%%%% Expert Humor Owning 0 March 31st 06 07:06 AM
Scammer alert on GliderPilot John Ferguson Soaring 0 March 14th 05 06:36 PM
Funny.......... JJ Simulators 0 September 10th 04 07:16 AM
Wax group/South African World's video scammer/non-delivery of goods John Soaring 6 October 9th 03 04:10 AM