Hiroshima justified? (was Enola Gay: Burnt flesh and other magnificent technological achievements)

Old January 10th 04, 03:08 AM
weary

"B2431" wrote in message
From: "weary"
Date: 1/6/2004 12:28 AM Central Standard Time

"B2431" wrote in message
From: "weary"

Date: 1/2/2004 5:02 PM Central Standard Time

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
. com...
In article ,
"weary" wrote:

"Greg Hennessy" wrote in message

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agor...hirodamap.html

Ohh look at that. The HQ of the local military district right in

the
zone
of complete destruction.

Which seems to be the only military asset in the zone.

This map doesn't show the rest of the details. That Military

District
Headquarters held the 11th Infantry Regiment, the 5th Division
Headquarters, a major artillery detachment, and a number of other
things, including the Prefectural office and the City Hall. It was

also
the HQ of the invasion defense of that entire section of the island.

If you're dropping a nuke on Hiroshima in 1945, you couldn't do a

whole
lot better for targeting.

Its clear that the people were the real target.

Yeah, the military people.

Then why did the targetting demand that the target must be
in a large urban atrea?

Because that's where the valid military targets were. I don't understan

why
you can't see that.

Plese provide proof that the onlyvalid military targets in Japan in May
1945
were in large urban areas.

I never said that.

I was discussing the minutes of the target committe that was meeting
in May 1945 that specified the target must be in a large urban area.
You said the valid military targets were in urban areas. You didn't say
'some of' or 'most of', you said 'the valid military targets'. Since the
committe was meeting in May 45, the comment applies to that time.
I cannot interpret what you wrote any other way, but feel free to
explain what you meant.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

Old January 10th 04, 04:34 AM
weary

"Matt Wiser" wrote in message

"weary" wrote:

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
. com...
In article ,
"weary" wrote:

[...]

Military and Military industries were in such large urban areas.

Not all of them. But why specify that the target had to be in a large
urban area.

Old January 11th 04, 11:32 PM
Greg Hennessy

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 03:00:49 GMT, "weary" wrote:

Then why insisit on it? However you are wrong. The Target
Committee meeting that produced that requirement was held
10-11 May 1945, at which time the bombing campaign was still
in its relatively early stages.

That was before anyone in the system even knew about the atom bombs.

I don't understand the relevance of this comment.

Thats because you havent a clue about the topic being discussed, but are
only here to deliver specious moralising.

greg

--
You do a lot less thundering in the pulpit against the Harlot
after she marches right down the aisle and kicks you in the nuts.
Old January 11th 04, 11:32 PM
Greg Hennessy

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 02:53:20 GMT, "weary" wrote:

"Greg Hennessy" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 06:28:01 GMT, "weary" wrote:

Because that's where the valid military targets were. I don't

understand
why
you can't see that.

Plese provide proof that the onlyvalid military targets in Japan in May
1945
were in large urban areas.

What a surprise, its attempts more misdirection.

A. He never said that.

Yes he did.

He clearly didnt troll.

B. I suggest figuring out what the word 'priority' means, especially in

the
context of having a very finite number of sorties available to hit
thousands of targets in mainland japan.

He didn't use the word priority. Don't try moving goalpostrs.

He didnt *have* to, because those of us who have studied the history of the
period are fully aware of what a limited resource B29s were in theatre.

greg

Old January 11th 04, 11:32 PM
Greg Hennessy

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 02:45:36 GMT, "weary" wrote:

Because that's where the valid military targets were. I don't understand

why
you can't see that.

Because in that case all that was necessary was to specify a valid military
target.

They did.

I don't understand why you can't see that.
However,

Thats because you're too stupid to figure out that 'valid military targets'
which warrant the equivalent of 250+ B29 loads being dropped upon them
generally need a local population centre to facilite operations.

greg

Old January 12th 04, 01:43 PM
weary

"Greg Hennessy" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 02:45:36 GMT, "weary" wrote:

Because that's where the valid military targets were. I don't

understand
why
you can't see that.

Because in that case all that was necessary was to specify a valid

military
target.

They did.

No - they specified a target surrounded by a large urban area.

I don't understand why you can't see that.
However,

Thats because you're too stupid to figure out that 'valid military

targets'
which warrant the equivalent of 250+ B29 loads
being dropped upon them
generally need a local population centre to facilite operations.

Not necessarily. But even if they do why is necessary to mandate
the obvious?

Old January 12th 04, 01:46 PM
weary

"Greg Hennessy" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 03:00:49 GMT, "weary" wrote:

Then why insisit on it? However you are wrong. The Target
Committee meeting that produced that requirement was held
10-11 May 1945, at which time the bombing campaign was still
in its relatively early stages.

That was before anyone in the system even knew about the atom bombs.

I don't understand the relevance of this comment.

Thats because you havent a clue about the topic being discussed, but are
only here to deliver specious moralising.

That really clears it up