A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

SkySight Tutorials



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 16th 20, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 31
Default SkySight Tutorials

Hi all,

I've put together some light entertainment in the form of SkySight tutorials to pass the time through your inevitable COVID-19 quarantines, or heaven forbid, preparation for the soaring season.

You can find the playlist of videos he
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...o_b-s8_fTKlzKJ
If you subscribe to the playlist you'll be notified of future additions.

Please write to me privately via the form on https://skysight.io/ or the support menu if there's more content you'd like covered. I suspect I'll have time in coming weeks...
Ads
  #2  
Old March 16th 20, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default SkySight Tutorials

On Sunday, March 15, 2020 at 7:04:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi all,

I've put together some light entertainment in the form of SkySight tutorials to pass the time through your inevitable COVID-19 quarantines, or heaven forbid, preparation for the soaring season.

You can find the playlist of videos he
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...o_b-s8_fTKlzKJ
If you subscribe to the playlist you'll be notified of future additions.

Please write to me privately via the form on https://skysight.io/ or the support menu if there's more content you'd like covered. I suspect I'll have time in coming weeks...


Matthew,

I've been enjoying each one of them as they were uploaded in the last few days. They're very helpful for all of us. I've been using SkySight for a while but still learned a few little things and am enjoying the refinements which have been made since last year. It was also a pleasure seeing you talk in Little Rock and really appreciate how your software is making soaring more fun for us all, thank you!

Chuck Werninger
Soaring Club of Houston
VL
  #3  
Old March 16th 20, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 241
Default SkySight Tutorials

On Sunday, March 15, 2020 at 7:04:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi all,

I've put together some light entertainment in the form of SkySight tutorials to pass the time through your inevitable COVID-19 quarantines, or heaven forbid, preparation for the soaring season.

You can find the playlist of videos he
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...o_b-s8_fTKlzKJ
If you subscribe to the playlist you'll be notified of future additions.

Please write to me privately via the form on https://skysight.io/ or the support menu if there's more content you'd like covered. I suspect I'll have time in coming weeks...


Excellent videos, watched them all in one session, and great new features since last season. Congrats and thanks! It remains now to wait and see how accurate the forecasts will actually be in real life in this unpredictable world.
  #4  
Old March 17th 20, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 113
Default SkySight Tutorials

👍👍👍👍👍
  #5  
Old March 18th 20, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 234
Default SkySight Tutorials

Thanks Matt for putting these out.
Something to watch and learn from while I socially disconnect.
Nick
T
PS
The pros say we should stay at least 6' apart.
I think the average towrope is 200', that should be way good enough huh?
Sitting by myself in my LS3a with the canopy latched is very socially disconnected I believe.
  #6  
Old March 19th 20, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,360
Default SkySight Tutorials

On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 11:50:47 AM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Thanks Matt for putting these out.
Something to watch and learn from while I socially disconnect.
Nick
T
PS
The pros say we should stay at least 6' apart.
I think the average towrope is 200', that should be way good enough huh?
Sitting by myself in my LS3a with the canopy latched is very socially disconnected I believe.


I would love to tow behind a 200 foot rope! I once had a passenger for a front seat in a helicopter (max wt 350 lbs in that seat) tell me he just weighed himself that morning at 275 lbs. Soon as I lifted off I did not have enough aft stick to hover!
  #7  
Old March 20th 20, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,163
Default SkySight Tutorials

Going through the videos now.* EXCELLENT!* Thanks for this very useful tool.

On 3/19/2020 6:57 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Wednesday, March 18, 2020 at 11:50:47 AM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Thanks Matt for putting these out.
Something to watch and learn from while I socially disconnect.
Nick
T
PS
The pros say we should stay at least 6' apart.
I think the average towrope is 200', that should be way good enough huh?
Sitting by myself in my LS3a with the canopy latched is very socially disconnected I believe.

I would love to tow behind a 200 foot rope! I once had a passenger for a front seat in a helicopter (max wt 350 lbs in that seat) tell me he just weighed himself that morning at 275 lbs. Soon as I lifted off I did not have enough aft stick to hover!


--
Dan, 5J
  #8  
Old March 29th 20, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 234
Default SkySight Tutorials

Idiot Noobie questions here, please be patient.

1. When you connect Skysight up to a Oudie and download the weather, how exactly do you do this? details please I'm a computer idiot.

2. What are you trying to download on the Oudie for the day? Convergence lines?
OD areas? Strong areas? Wind data? What?

3 Does it look like whats on the Skysight screen?

4. Can you chose what to transfer from Skysight onto he Oudie for the day?
How do you do this?

Thanks in advance
Nick
T
  #9  
Old March 29th 20, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default SkySight Tutorials

1. When you connect Skysight up to a Oudie and download the weather, how exactly do you do this? details please I'm a computer idiot.

2. What are you trying to download on the Oudie for the day? Convergence lines?
OD areas? Strong areas? Wind data? What?

3 Does it look like whats on the Skysight screen?

4. Can you chose what to transfer from Skysight onto he Oudie for the day?
How do you do this?



Nick, good questions, the answers weren't immediately obvious to me either and I generally do great with software! First, you'll use the "Naviter Updater" every day before you fly so you have to be sure your Oudie is running the current software and your SeeYou account is setup with your SkySight account information and weather preferences. Check out the SeeYou web site for help.

Then, before you head out to your glider to fly each day, connect your Oudie to the Naviter Updater and download the day's weather to it. It's not live but it downloads the morning forecast. When you're finished, go to the Weather tab on the Oudie Settings and choose which of the 4 weather models you'd like displayed, wind, wave, convergence and one other I can't remember. When you return to your map afterwards they'll be displayed on the screen. It's not perfect but it's much better than trying to remember in flight where the convergence lines should be expected after you've been on task for 2-3 hours.

This took me a bit of fiddling to get it all working correctly but it's now pretty good. I just wish I had my Oudie at home with me to give you more accurate answers. Good luck, it's worth messing with it now when many of us can't fly. If you have other questions or get stuck, I'll gladly try to help you!

Chuck Werninger
Soaring Club of Houston
LS-4 VL
  #10  
Old March 29th 20, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 234
Default SkySight Tutorials

Chuck
Thank you for threresponse!
Let me hook up my Oudie to my laptop and see if I can follow your instructions.
I'll let you know How I do.
Best regards
Nick
T

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SkySight down? Waveguru Soaring 11 March 17th 20 05:30 PM
Skysight Dan Marotta Soaring 1 September 14th 19 09:51 PM
IFR tutorials ? [email protected] Piloting 5 October 27th 06 03:56 PM
handbooks/tutorials Kevin Simulators 1 March 26th 06 04:46 AM
Any tutorials like Al Pelitires "Round Robins" ot Alfred Poors " Cross Country"... [email protected] Simulators 0 February 6th 04 09:01 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.