A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Solo 2350D won't start



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old March 21st 20, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 100
Default Solo 2350D won't start

On Friday, March 20, 2020 at 6:42:42 PM UTC-4, BillT wrote:
Our Duo's turbo has suddenly stopped working. It spins up ok at 55Kt when decompressed & continues windmilling when the decompression is released. The engine starts after 2 - 3 seconds, runs for 2 seconds then cuts out. After 1 - 2 seconds it starts again & the sequence is repeated. It's as if the rpm cut out is operating (which happens if the revs exceed 6500) but I'm certain that's not happening & have been careful to ensure the speed doesn't exceed 60Kt. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks, Bill


first ones lasted 6-7 years but stretched enough that the fuel pressure
dropped.
JMF
Ads
  #12  
Old March 21st 20, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 76
Default Solo 2350D won't start

I believe the SH gliders ship with a yellow strap that is wrapped around the propeller hub. Lak used a cord, but the process is basically the same.

Only to be attempted with the utmost care and always with the wings attached....

https://youtu.be/C0UJtqhZJMo
  #13  
Old March 21st 20, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BillT
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default Solo 2350D won't start

On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 6:51:13 AM UTC+11, wrote:
I believe the SH gliders ship with a yellow strap that is wrapped around the propeller hub. Lak used a cord, but the process is basically the same.

Only to be attempted with the utmost care and always with the wings attached....

https://youtu.be/C0UJtqhZJMo


Thanks to all who responded. For those not familiar with the Solo 2350D, the following should help. The engine is windmill started in flight. There is an adaptor on the prop hub to enable an electric drill to be used to start the engine – I assume this is for factory testing. Thanks for the video showing the strap method, but I’ve been advised not to try this. The Duo has two fuel pumps – a pilot activated electric Facet, located under the rear seat & a vacumn diaphragm on the pilon under the engine. There is no throttle – when it starts it runs at full power. Fuel used is premium unleaded (98) which has no ethanol. The engine has a cutout function which occurs if the revs exceed 6500rpm – it cuts back in once the revs drop below 6500. Keeping the airspeed at 50 – 55Kts prevents over revving.
What I’ve done so far. Checked the Facet for fuel flow & it’s ok. Pumped 10 L of fuel from the tank in 12 minutes, so tank venting is ok. When starting the engine the electric pump is used until the engine starts & then the diaphragm pump takes over. I haven’t checked the diaphragm pump but will try the syringe method. SH advise this pump is no longer manufactured & an overhaul kit is not available. These pumps were also used on outboard motors & there are aftermarket overhaul kits available eg.. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierr...38616--1764349 https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierr...393103--210893
If any one has used one of these, please me know. SH are now supplying an alternate pump which I believe is a Mikuni. Also can anyone advise what the pump pressure should be?
I’ve also stripped & cleaned both carby’s – no sign of any problems, but I intend to order new gaskets & diaphragms. This problem arose soon after the annual inspection, during which both NGK spark plugs were replaced. I’ll fit two new plugs in case one is faulty. And I’ll pull the seat pan to ensure there are no kinks in the fuel line. Regards, Bill

  #14  
Old March 21st 20, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,328
Default Solo 2350D won't start

As a long term poster on car forums.....fantastic feedback....thanks (for someone that may ask, no known neurological issues other than flying without an engine....;-))...extra dots may be likened to a pause when actually speaking to someone...

I was thinking either a collapsing fuel line, tank cap that wasn't venting, possibly a bad diaphragm (wasn't sure if float or diaphragm).

Spark plugs....not a typical issue....very low on trouble shooting list. Sounds like fuel, but short duration.

Whenever you find the issue, PLEASE post back on resolution, too many forums someone posts an issue, many possible fixes, usually never feedback on resolution.
Help the next peep that actually searches.....

Thanks.
  #15  
Old March 22nd 20, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 993
Default Solo 2350D won't start

On Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 4:32:59 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
As a long term poster on car forums.....fantastic feedback....thanks (for someone that may ask, no known neurological issues other than flying without an engine....;-))...extra dots may be likened to a pause when actually speaking to someone...

I was thinking either a collapsing fuel line, tank cap that wasn't venting, possibly a bad diaphragm (wasn't sure if float or diaphragm).

Spark plugs....not a typical issue....very low on trouble shooting list. Sounds like fuel, but short duration.

Whenever you find the issue, PLEASE post back on resolution, too many forums someone posts an issue, many possible fixes, usually never feedback on resolution.
Help the next peep that actually searches.....

Thanks.


One thing often overlooked with diaphragm carbs is the pop-off pressure of the needle valve. Incorrect pop-off pressure might account for this behavior. This pressure can usually be adjusted by either changing the spring or by bending the needle lever.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...10.f9GczK9WkxE

Tom
  #16  
Old March 22nd 20, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BillT
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default Solo 2350D won't start

On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 11:08:36 AM UTC+11, 2G wrote:
On Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 4:32:59 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
As a long term poster on car forums.....fantastic feedback....thanks (for someone that may ask, no known neurological issues other than flying without an engine....;-))...extra dots may be likened to a pause when actually speaking to someone...

I was thinking either a collapsing fuel line, tank cap that wasn't venting, possibly a bad diaphragm (wasn't sure if float or diaphragm).

Spark plugs....not a typical issue....very low on trouble shooting list.. Sounds like fuel, but short duration.

Whenever you find the issue, PLEASE post back on resolution, too many forums someone posts an issue, many possible fixes, usually never feedback on resolution.
Help the next peep that actually searches.....

Thanks.


One thing often overlooked with diaphragm carbs is the pop-off pressure of the needle valve. Incorrect pop-off pressure might account for this behavior. This pressure can usually be adjusted by either changing the spring or by bending the needle lever.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...10.f9GczK9WkxE

Tom


I'd never heard of the "pop off" pressure test. The 5 year inspection schedule for the original 2350 requires a pressure test of 0.4 bar (~ 6psi) allowed to decrease by 0.1 bar/min. https://aircraft.solo.global/img/cms...5_Englisch.pdf
Both of the carbys on our 2350D met this requirement indicating the needle & seat are ok. I'll report the outcome of fault finding, but it could be a few weeks. Rgds, Bill
  #17  
Old March 24th 20, 10:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 113
Default Solo 2350D won't start

I am having a similar problem in my Ventus Ct. Mine will not start at all.

Is there any way to check for spark on the ground?
I pulled the plugs and hand propped while holding the plugs to the side of the engine case and could see no spark.

Is there a A&P familiar with the Solo motors in south east U.S., or better yet Florida?

Thanks for any help.
Mike
  #18  
Old March 24th 20, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,164
Default Solo 2350D won't start

Can you do that manual spark test in a hangar?* In dim(mer) light you
should be able to see a spark, if there.* Or you could have your plugs
tested, or simply replace them.

On 3/24/2020 4:55 AM, Mike N. wrote:
I am having a similar problem in my Ventus Ct. Mine will not start at all.

Is there any way to check for spark on the ground?
I pulled the plugs and hand propped while holding the plugs to the side of the engine case and could see no spark.

Is there a A&P familiar with the Solo motors in south east U.S., or better yet Florida?

Thanks for any help.
Mike


--
Dan, 5J
  #19  
Old March 24th 20, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,493
Default Solo 2350D won't start

On Tuesday, March 24, 2020 at 6:55:06 AM UTC-4, Mike N. wrote:
I am having a similar problem in my Ventus Ct. Mine will not start at all.

Is there any way to check for spark on the ground?
I pulled the plugs and hand propped while holding the plugs to the side of the engine case and could see no spark.

Is there a A&P familiar with the Solo motors in south east U.S., or better yet Florida?

Thanks for any help.
Mike


Not expert on this contraption, however:
- coil failures are not uncommon (vibration breaks of lead at coil), and
- IIRC mechanic at Seminole is familiar with Solo sustainers
Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave

PS: Sounds like you already did the coil test and saw no spark, right?
  #20  
Old March 24th 20, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 236
Default Solo 2350D won't start

Nadler could be on to something here, intermittent coil failure. Especially if this is a know past fault point.
If you did a fuel flow test and rebuilt the carbs, It points to a intermittent electrical problem.
You need spark, fuel and compression.
What makes you certain the over rev cut out is not kicking in?
Can you disconnect it for testing purposes?
If the problem is intermittent I think the Plugs might be OK.
If not dropped plugs are pretty tough, simple and trouble free
but you never know.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start Anywhere [email protected] Soaring 35 December 24th 08 08:58 PM
FSX Start Up L D S Simulators 1 November 21st 07 11:06 PM
SR-71 61-7974, engine start - "61-7974 engine start, Jan 16, 1984, Ramstein AB, Scott R Wilson.jpg" 176.9 KBytes [email protected] Aviation Photos 7 November 3rd 07 01:14 PM
SR-71 61-7974, engine start - "61-7974 engine start, Jan 16, 1984, Ramstein AB, Scott R Wilson.jpg" 176.9 KBytes [email protected] Piloting 4 November 3rd 07 01:14 PM
I want to start Carlos Estopier Owning 16 May 12th 04 07:09 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.