"Wing-in-ground-effect" Any homebuild kits available?

Old January 1st 05, 09:20 PM
Bob

Default "Wing-in-ground-effect" Any homebuild kits available?

Greetings,

I recall a few years ago several companies that were building
prototypes of ultralight sea-planes that flew in ground effect over
the water. They used fiberglass hulls and tube and fabric control
surfaces.

They were supposed to be classified as boats and not planes since they
were limited to a max altitude of about 10 feet.

Does anybody know of any kits availabe? I've seen a few 5-6 seat
russian models on the web but I'm looking for a simple 1-2 seat
ultralight type craft.

Thanks and Happy New Year
Old January 2nd 05, 03:28 AM

Bob wrote:
Greetings,

I recall a few years ago several companies that were building
prototypes of ultralight sea-planes that flew in ground effect over
the water. They used fiberglass hulls and tube and fabric control
surfaces.

They were supposed to be classified as boats and not planes since

they
were limited to a max altitude of about 10 feet.

Does anybody know of any kits availabe? I've seen a few 5-6 seat
russian models on the web but I'm looking for a simple 1-2 seat
ultralight type craft.

Thanks and Happy New Year

There is a kit/plan based on a hovercraft available from Universal
Hovercraft (.com). It is 18 ft. long, powered by a Subaru, carries 2-3
people, and flies 50-60 mph. I have seen them in operation and they
really function well. They are registered as boats.
On the other hand, any small plane can be flown in ground effect
over water if you have the right kind of landing gear and overall
configuration.

..
There are some advantages to starting with a hovercraft in that
breaking lose from the water surface is easier.