Average brokerage fee?

Old December 16th 03, 05:21 AM
sue t

Default Average brokerage fee?

I've been scanning the 'net to get an idea of an average brokerage fee for
an aircraft (1968 Cherokee 140) valued in the $20,000 to $25,000 range. My
expectation would be advertising the aircraft and acting as initial point of
contact. The aircraft would need to be sold from my home base, not from the
brokerage firm's home base.

I note some agencies provide flat fee based on type of aircraft or selling
price and some do the work for a percentage. I see percentages ranging
from 2.9% to 10%, with 5% being average. Can anyone confirm this as a
reasonable fee?

I'm located in British Columbia, Canada.

sue thomas

Old December 16th 03, 07:39 PM
Mike Z.

Sue,

I was very surprised to find any aircraft brokers working on 5%.

I am comparing that to realtors commissions of 7% on much much bigger deals, and boat brokers working on 10% on $100,000 plus deals.

Only you know your motives for wanting a broker, but my guess is you can sell that plane easily for a fair price just by getting it
up on the bulletin board at a couple airports.

Mike Z

Old December 16th 03, 09:30 PM
Jim Fisher

Fer what it's worth, I followed the recommendation of a few posters here
some time ago and sold my plane at www.aso.com. This was only after I
didn't come up with any bites form my ad on the bulletin board of a couple
of local-ish airports.

The "brokerage fee" was $60.00 and I got what I was asking.

--
Jim Fisher

Old December 16th 03, 09:41 PM
Dennis O'Connor

It's interesting how localities differ... At my field most planes change
hands by word of mouth amongst the locals...
Denny

Old December 19th 03, 04:30 PM
Mike Z.

Good point Jim,

ASO would sure be my next move after the bulletin board. Or first if I was in a hurry.

I watched a ton of planes get sold in a short time while we were shopping for ours. (not sure how popular they are in Gods' country
though)

Mike Z

Old December 19th 03, 09:02 PM
Robert M. Gary

If you're not in too much of a rush, most people start out by putting
their plane in trade-a-plane. Its that yellow newspaper thing that you
see in all the FBOs. Its easily the most printed aviation periodical
in the world. You can also view it on the web for a yearly fee.