Trying to Fly

Old April 14th 05, 07:03 PM
AliR

Default Trying to Fly

Hi everyone,

I am an instrument pilot who hasn't been able to fly but once every 2 months
in the last year or so, because of the fact that I got married, and have a
little one.
I am looking for a place or organization where I can volunteer my time as a
pilot, not have to pay too much for the equipment, so that I can keep
current, and most importantly do the thing that I love the most, Fly.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks
Clipped Wings

Old April 14th 05, 08:37 PM
Randy

Have you considered Angel Flight? At least it counts as a deduction to
the IRS.

Old April 14th 05, 08:38 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:03:39 GMT, "AliR" wrote
in : :

I am looking for a place or organization where I can volunteer my time as a
pilot, not have to pay too much for the equipment, ...

What sort of organization might that be? Are you a CFI? It's not
clear exactly what you're suggesting. You've also not mentioned your
location. I presume you intend to find the organization you suggest
nearby.

Old April 14th 05, 08:49 PM
AliR

I am not a CFI, yet. I am actually working on my Commercial, I have roughly
230 hours, trying to get to the 250 bench mark.

Sorry I should have said I was in Dallas TX. I was talking about
organizations like Civil Air Patrol, where they would supply the plane, and
a little mission. Though I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone there
yet to see what kind of opportunities that have for some one like me.

Old April 14th 05, 09:18 PM
Jay Honeck

I am looking for a place or organization where I can volunteer my time as
pilot, not have to pay too much for the equipment, so that I can keep
current,

Try joining Civil Air Patrol. You can rent their 172s, dry, for just $21
per hour. 182s are just $23 per hour.

CFIs are free, if you wish to add a rating. And mission flights don't cost
you a dime.

Gliders are just $3 per hour, plus the tow plane, which you pay the straight
172 rates for (see above).

And you get to provide your country with a valuable service -- search &
rescue. AND, if you've got teenagers, you get to do something with your
kids.

It's been a win-win for my son and me.
--
Jay Honeck
CAP Senior Member, 2d Lt

Old April 14th 05, 09:20 PM
AliR

I have dropped by the local CAPs office at Addison Airport, but there is
never anyone there. I haven't been able to reach them by phone either. I
guess I'll keep trying.

Thanks for the suggestion.
AliR.

Old April 14th 05, 09:34 PM
OtisWinslow

While the CAP sounds like fun and provides a valuable service, I've
heard from people who've tried it that there's a lot of military wannabes,
politics, and things that take away the enjoyment. Is this common, or
just the situation at some units?

Old April 14th 05, 09:56 PM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
It's been a win-win for my son and me.

Sounds great ...until CAP adults start getting called up to Iraq?

Won't happen? Hmm, I think I heard about some recent legislation - maybe it
was just an Executive Order... :-)

Chamberlain at Gettysburg
Honeck in Iraq

There's something about those English majors g

Montblack

Old April 14th 05, 10:22 PM
Peter

I am not a CFI, yet. I am actually working on my Commercial, I have
roughly
230 hours, trying to get to the 250 bench mark.

Sorry I should have said I was in Dallas TX. I was talking about
organizations like Civil Air Patrol, where they would supply the plane,

and
a little mission. Though I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone

there
yet to see what kind of opportunities that have for some one like me.

Don't you know that CAP stands for Come And Pay ? While mission flight
costs are usually reimbursed to you, becoming qualified to be a mission
pilot is a time consuming effort which will cost you some money.

Old April 14th 05, 10:32 PM
Peter

While the CAP sounds like fun and provides a valuable service, I've
heard from people who've tried it that there's a lot of military wannabes,
politics, and things that take away the enjoyment. Is this common, or
just the situation at some units?

That's very common. When you spend more time doing useless paperwork and
silly training classes than flying its very discouraging. The actual flying
and SAR mission training is great.