Rechargable AA batteries and chargers

Old October 16th 03, 09:24 PM
TripFarmer

Default Rechargable AA batteries and chargers

I use a lot of AA batteries and have used Alkalines for a while. I've even
bought the 40 for $10 at Sam's Club and I've bought the Energizer e2 batteries,
which are really good. The Sam's ones I'd just throw away if they got close
to being dead.

I finally bit the bullet and did some research. As anything, you can buy
inexpensive or pay a litle more for higher quality.

Here's what I found to be the best deal:

1) MAHA brand MH-C401FS 100 Minute Cool Charger. This charger is awesome.
Read about it from the manufacturer at:

http://www.mahaenergy.com/products/P...s/mhc401fs.htm

2) MAHA brand POWEREX 2200 mAh AA batteries (NiMH). Read about them at:

http://www.mahaenergy.com/products/P.../batteries.htm

I ended up buying a "kit" from Thomas Distributing which included the charger,
12 volt car adaptor and 8 2200mAh batteries. These are the strongest
rechargable AA's out there. They total cost was around $65. They also sell on
eBay and you may get it for a few dollars less but it won't be much. They
throw in a few free things like battery holders. The kit can be seen at:

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mhc401fs.htm

I'm now using these in my Garmin GPS, ICOM Transceiver, Lightspeed Headsets,
and many other things around the house. What's great is you can leave them in
the charger to stay "topped off" when not being used. No memory like the
NiCads.

I have no connection to any of these companies but just want to try to help if
you are using a lot of AA's like I was. E-mail if you have any specific
questions.

Trip Farmer

Old October 16th 03, 11:08 PM
Roger Hamlett

"TripFarmer" wrote in message
[...]

The 'downside' of the high capacity batteries, is that they exhibit more
'self discharge' than lower capacity types. Fine if you keep them charged
up, but very annoying if there is a significant time between charging and
use.
This is a 'caveat' about these designs, that 'caught out' a photographer
friend. He found himself going back to a lower capacity make, because with
the number of sets he has to keep charged, the rate of self discharge was
high enough that the higher capacity types had lost a significant amount of
their capacity when he came to use them...
As you say, the lack of 'memory', does allow you to keep them charged, but
if as a user you want to leave them 'in' kit for a while, this should be
born in mind...

Best Wishes

Old October 17th 03, 06:34 PM
TripFarmer

In article ,
says...

[...]

Sure, any NiMH battery will lose about 1% per day of shelf life. That's why
you keep these "topped" off. It trickle charges them at about 50mAh per hour
and will not hurt the battery. Read up about them.

Trip