F-102's easy to fly ( Lars Larson Trying to Help OR NG home for 2 weeks of leave.

Old March 13th 04, 05:20 AM
WaltBJ

"Moose" wrote in message ...
Hi Walt

I could tell you a few stories about the weak nose gear involving Deuces of
the 59th FIS up at Goose (64 to 67).

Hey, Moose, I was up at Thule in the 332 FIS Aug 63 to Aug 64. I

spent a few weeks down at Goose escaping Thule, harassing the Goose
Club and making a general nuisance of myself. ADC made us get sim time
- Thule didn't ever have a Deuce sim, so every quarter we had an
escape alibi. Twice I sniveled my way back to RG AFB for sim becuz my
wife was living just off base there. Twice I harassed the Goose. About
the only guy I remember was the Ops officer, a guy named Caldwell.
Knew Jack Dale and still know Howie Kidwell, both at Goose about that
time, down at Homestead in the 319th. Howie's living in Austin TX.
Walt BJ
Old March 13th 04, 07:43 AM
Boomer

Hey AK we miss ya over at WT :-)

I thought all AF fighters had the trigger dedicated to the gun, and that
Navy fighters fired selected weapons with the trigger. Am I way off here or
is it always "personal preferance" ?

--

Curiosity killed the cat, and I'm gonna find out why!
"Andy Bush" wrote in message

"Dweezil Dwarftosser" wrote in message
ALL fighter aircraft worked this way (for missiles, though
not for rockets in later machines).

Not sure what you mean here.

Interceptor rocket attacks had the firing signal coming from the weapons
computer when in the "full up" mode...but the AIM-9 was hot once the

Master
Arm was armed. Press the pickle button and that puppy was gone, tone or no
tone, lock or no lock. In the 104, we used the trigger to fire the

heaters.

Old March 13th 04, 07:06 PM
Andy Bush

That's why I mentioned the 104. I flew the G model which had the
missile/gun/rocket selector function on the weapons select panel. The
trigger fired all three...the "pickle button" was for non-forward firing
ordnance/stores.

Old March 13th 04, 10:36 PM
Guy Alcala

Boomer wrote:

Hey AK we miss ya over at WT :-)

I thought all AF fighters had the trigger dedicated to the gun, and that
Navy fighters fired selected weapons with the trigger. Am I way off here or
is it always "personal preferance" ?

I suspect it may be more company preference. The F-8 had AIM-9s on the pickle
button, guns on the trigger, but the F-4 had everything A/A on the trigger. The
navy (or McAir) went with the F-4 method for the F-18, while the F-16 uses the
trigger for guns/pickle for AAMs approach. I know the latter set up led to at
least two inadvertent AIM-9 launches during DS, when the same F-16 pilot, on two
different missions, switched from A/G to A/A mode while pulling off target,
while still holding the pickle button firmly depressed. To be fair, the
situation was rather hectic on both occasions, but after the second occurrence
his squadron mates rather forcefully insisted that he be returned to the states,
as they were getting tired of having to watch for errant AIM-9s in addition to
SAMs and AAA.

Guy