Pre-buy Inspection

Old August 31st 04, 12:57 PM
Jon Kraus

Ummm... wouldn't that be you Libs not me.... ;-)

PLONK, SLAM, DUNK !!!!

Morgans wrote:
"Jon Kraus" wrote in message

Probably more then you are ... you dream on Douggy.... :-)

Hmm, a bit too sensitive?

Plonk

Old August 31st 04, 04:14 PM

Jim Weir wrote in message . ..
That's about the furthest thing from the truth I've ever seen in these
newsgroups. A prebuy is a DOZEN times harder than an annual inspection. All an
annual inspection tells you is that nothing on the airplane is worn past service
limits at the time of the inspection.

snipped for length, not content

Heh. Having done waaay mor than fair share of pre-buy's, the best
definition of a pre-buy was the one my old boss (FBO owner, ATP-rated,
designated flight examiner, line pilot, AP/IA, new/used broker) gave
to my wife.

I was in the next hangar "inspecting" with the seller, the seller's
broker, the prospective buyer, and the prospective buyer's broker.

"Where's my husband?"

"He's next door taking it in the ass."

Pre-buy's suck, there is no formal definition under the FAR, and to do
a proper one (as you indicate) takes an incredible amount of time,
depending on the age/condition of the plane & maintenance records
being inspected.

Another "selling" broker's comment-

"I've never had anyone take two days to do a pre-buy on a single"

My response-

"Don't come back"

Have had quite a few where the aircraft, by definition, was
unairworthy (9 times out of 10 due to paperwork issues). As a
technician/inspector, my only "legal" recourse is of course to inform
the pilot/operator, and walk away.

My all-time favorites are ships recently brought back into the States.
Plus the ones that have had recent blank-check periodic inspections
from so-called "premier" make/model specific maintenance facilities
and are absolute pieces of (insert excrement of choice). Bonanza's and
Mooney's tend to fall into that category, sorry to say.

Regards;

TC
Old August 31st 04, 04:21 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jon Kraus wrote:

As far as the pre-buy inspection goes the folks that do them
tell me that they take not anywhere near 25 hours to do.

An A&P with experience with Maules can do an annual inspection of my aircraft in
something like 18 hours. That includes all the "grunt work" that I normally do
myself. I don't find it hard to believe that someone who's really trying to do a good
job of finding every problem they reasonably can would take a few hours longer.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.
Old September 1st 04, 02:39 AM
Morgans

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
Great advise... As in any business there are those that would take
advantage of others.

To my partner and I it just is not worth the hassle of trying to figure
out the reason(s) for the sellers decision. I accept that. We have
decided to get our deposit back and keep on looking. There are many
planes out there and frankly it would have been an odd situation to buy
the first on we looked at. I apprecate everyones posts. Thanks !!

Jon Kraus

Good choice. When something does not feel right, it isn't.

I do agree with Jim W's opinion about a pre buy inspection. It should be
much more in depth than an annual. Find out what "might" have to be
replaced in the next couple/few years, vs. an annual telling you what "has"
to be replaced, right now. Also, take the time to get AD compliance well
researched, and title checked.

But you knew that, already, right? G
--
Jim in NC

Old September 1st 04, 02:45 AM
Morgans

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
Sensitive enough to stick up for myself yes...

I was a bit harsh. What I meant to say, was it is better off, from a
mechanic's viewpoint, to really take the time to tear into things, (not just
look on the surface) to find all the things that will cost you money down
the road, with an airplane you do not own yet.

With an airplane you already own, you will have to suck it up and keep
fixing things as they come up. It will take less time inspecting it, to do
that. IMHO
--
Jim in NC

Old September 1st 04, 06:03 AM
Jim Carter

Did you miss the phrase "...when the object should be to make an honest
deal"? Coins in the pocket is more important than honor to a lot of people
today, but that doesn't justify changing an agreed upon price
INDISCRIMINATELY.

I believe if you read my posts, you will see that I agreed that the
tentative, fair price should be negotiated before the pre-buy. If something
else turns up in the pre-buy that I wasn't aware of during the previous
negotiations, then I'd absolutely renegotiate based on new information. On
the other hand, if nothing turned up that I wasn't already aware of, the
honorable thing to do would be to conclude the deal based on the previously
determined fair price.

How can you disagree with this approach?

--
Jim Carter

Old September 1st 04, 12:42 PM
Jon Kraus

I agree that you should take the time to look into things throughly too.
I suppose that you can take this to extremes too (either way, too little
time or too much time). I certainly want to have an "expert" check out
the aircraft and associated logs carefully. My thought was that this
particular shop (Byerly) would be well prepared to do this. As far at
the time goes for how long the pre-buy would take I was just going by
what the shop said. Anyway no harm no foul. The search continues. Thanks!!

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
Student airplane purchaser