Hurricane Ivan and Pensacola

Old September 17th 04, 02:02 PM

Default Hurricane Ivan and Pensacola

Does anyone if the Navy evacuated their aircraft and if so, where to?
Old September 17th 04, 04:00 PM
Elmshoot

It is SOP for the Navy to have a Hurievac plan. In Whidbey we had one for
volcanos after Mt. St Helens. Any plane that can be flown is flown out of the
expected footprint of the incoming storm. It makes for some fun and interisting
cross countrys as well as concern as you leve your loved ones behind.
In the 50's my dad was Aircraft commander on a Connie he did a Hurievac to
Nashville TN not unusual but he left from Barbers Point, HI. The reason why is
that that is were his parents lived, he was very popular with the rest of the
crew as he dropped them off as he came across the US for a few days of RnR. He
was back in a week.
Sparky
Old September 18th 04, 12:03 AM
Yofuri

Is anyone familiar enough with the Naval Aviation News archives to dig out
the "And Then There Were None" story from many years ago? It's a classic
documentary of a hurrevac from Texas.

Rick

Old September 18th 04, 02:13 AM
vincent p. norris

Does anyone if the Navy evacuated their aircraft and if so, where to?

Yes. NPR interviewed a PI officer at Pensacola, I think that was on
Wednesday, who said all a/c had been flown out.

I'd like to know how the museum fared during the blow.

vince norris
Old September 18th 04, 03:11 AM

Is that a fact! Well it so happens that the Navy put all of the
aircraft in the area in the blimp hangars at NAS Richmond when a
hurricane hit the Miami area just after WW II. The hangars collasped,
caught fire, and 365 aircraft and 25 blimps were lost. I also have a
photo taken at NAAS Bronson Field showing SNJs chained down with the
gear retracked and sitting on tires during a hurricane. So the
military does not always evac all aircraft.

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:57:58 -0400, Andrew C. Toppan
wrote:

Of course they did!

The military always always evacs all aircraft possible when threatened
by a hurricane.

Old September 18th 04, 04:52 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 9/17/04 8:02 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

Does anyone if the Navy evacuated their aircraft and if so, where to?

AFAIK, most NPA aircraft go to Wright Patt.

--Woody

Old September 19th 04, 03:27 AM
vincent p. norris

In the 1940's we didn't even have decent hurricane prediction.....

Even in the 1950s. I had the pleasure of flying through one, in an
R5C-1 (C-46), that was supposed to be out of the way by the time we
got to Florida.

Wasn't very turbulent. Just very heavy rain, and a huge amount of
drift as we tried to stay on the north leg of the Miami crowfoot
range.

Suddenly we flew into bright sunlight, then soon back into the heavy
rain again, now drifting strongly the other way.

The only thing that might have made it exciting was that one prop
governor misbehaved, as they tended to do in heavy rain, and the fire
warning light on the other side kept coming on, which was also common
in heavy rain.

It didn't occur to us we had flown through the eye of the hurricane
till we landed at Miami and were told we had.

It wasn't anything like Ivan, of course.

vince norris