Will the "Immigrant Boycott" shut down any airports?

Old April 30th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Will the "Immigrant Boycott" shut down any airports?

Tomorrow is the so-called "Immigrant Boycott", planned so that illegal
aliens can make a show of their economic clout in America by staying
home from work.

Given the number of "immigrants" working at major big city airports, I
can foresee some major problems if this thing really takes off. From
my casual observances as an airline passenger, LAX, LAS and ORD seem to
have literally hundreds of Hispanic laborers working in all aspects of
operations, from baggage handling to ground ops. If they all boycott
work tomorrow...

I know the lodging industry is having a bird about the potential impact
of this boycott, as evidenced by the hilarious "urgent action updates"
we have been receiving from the Lodging Association. We are finding it
truly enjoyable to watch as all the corrupt hoteliers who hired illegal
aliens in the first place -- basically everyone else in the lodging
industry -- panics about their plight.

Anyone have any idea if the airlines have contingency plans for this
sort of thing? What'll they do if there's no one to unload the
planes?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 30th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
Tomorrow is the so-called "Immigrant Boycott", planned so that illegal
aliens can make a show of their economic clout in America by staying home
from work.

I know the lodging industry is having a bird about the potential impact of
this boycott, as evidenced by the hilarious "urgent action updates" we
have been receiving from the Lodging Association. We are finding it truly
enjoyable to watch as all the corrupt hoteliers who hired illegal aliens
in the first place -- basically everyone else in the lodging industry --
panics about their plight.

They can pay their "guest workers" double-time-and-a-half tomorrow ...or
close up shop.

(x2.5) is about where the wages would be without "guest workers" so one day
of it shouldn't be too much for those businesses to bear.

I'm not sure what they're trying to accomplish with this boycott? It could
have an unforeseen negative result for the ILLEGALS ...I mean, "guest
workers".

Montblack

Old April 30th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The last poll I saw this morning stated that the majority of American's
did not support the so-called boycott. I think that they may be
crapping where they sleep, and the outcome will be not what they wanted.

For myself, I don't frequent fast-food joints too much, and I don't get
my grass cut until Wednesday, so I won't see any disruption in my
life... :-)

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ TYQ

Old April 30th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The FAA has had rules for background checks for all airport
employees since the 1980s, and these were tightened after
9/11. Whether that was really done and whether a lot of the
Mexican invaders will not work at the airports is to be
found out when it happens.

Immigrants and guests ask permission, illegals come here to
work and invaders come here to take the old Spanish
land-grant lands back. If they were Cuban, Russian or
Mexican troops carrying RPGs we would fight them. Instead
they sent their women, pregnant, and their covert army along
with the men to work until their numbers could force the
over-throw of the California and other governments.
This is not a civil rights struggle and those people are an
invading army. We should not allow them to vote or allow in
illegal to work in this country. The law should be enforced
against the illegal worker and the boss who hires them.
Of course, Mexico will deny repatriation.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

ups.com...

Old April 30th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

My wife works for a major motel chain they are mandating that everyone
"grounds keepers to managers" show up for a meeting if they don't show they
find themselves with out a job!

Old April 30th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Anyone have any idea if the airlines have contingency plans for this
sort of thing? What'll they do if there's no one to unload the
planes?

Excepting some food joints in the non-secure area of the terminal, there
shouldn't be much difference. Perhaps the hotel industry should perform FBI
background checks with fingerprints for it's members. :-)

D.

Old May 1st 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Burns" wrote

Our current payroll is 73 people, half of which are Hispanic. Of the half
that are Hispanic, about half are citizens via birth and have lived
locally
for years.

What industry are you in? Just curious.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 1st 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck opined

snip

As others have pointed out, due to the post 9/11 security checks, there can be
no illegals working at airports. So, the boycott will have no effect on commercial
aviation .

-ash
Cthulhu in 2005!
Why wait for nature?

Old May 1st 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Morgans" wrote)
What industry are you in? Just curious.

Paper, as in paperwork. g

Montblack
Maybe, like naming a boat, that Aztec could be called "The Paper-wait!"
Old May 1st 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Fresh potato farming/grading/packaging/shipping.

Ahh, spuds! One of the most versatile foods anywhere. How many ways are
there, to prepare the potato, I wonder?
--
Jim in NC