aircraft approach category quandary

Old December 18th 04, 05:49 PM

Default aircraft approach category quandary

I know the aim para 5.4.7 says that aircraft approach categories are
based on 1.3 times the stall speed in the landing config at max
certificated gross landing weight (comes from far 97.3 (b).

However I know I have read somewhere, perhaps the aim or a far,
something along the lines that where the manufacturer has provided
data to allow the pilot to determined the approach speed based on
weight, that this can then be used to determine which category the
aircraft falls in.

Does anyone know of where I would have read something along these
lines?

Stan

Old December 18th 04, 10:42 PM
John R. Copeland

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message =
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:49:42 GMT, wrote:
=20
I know the aim para 5.4.7 says that aircraft approach categories are
based on 1.3 times the stall speed in the landing config at max
certificated gross landing weight (comes from far 97.3 (b).

However I know I have read somewhere, perhaps the aim or a far,
something along the lines that where the manufacturer has provided
data to allow the pilot to determined the approach speed based on
weight, that this can then be used to determine which category the
aircraft falls in.

Does anyone know of where I would have read something along these
lines?

Stan

=20
Perhaps:
=20
14 CFR 97.3
=20
(b) Aircraft approach category means a grouping of aircraft based on a
speed of VREF, if specified, or if VREF is not specified, 1.3 VS0 at =

the
maximum certificated landing weight. VREF, VS0, and the maximum
certificated landing weight are those values as established for the
aircraft by the certification authority of the country of registry. =

The
categories are as follows: ...
=20
--ron

Stan:
Continuing beyond what Ron quoted, here's more...
"If it is necessary to maneuver at speeds in excess of the upper limit
of a speed range for a category, the minimums for the next higher
category should be used."

I don't know why it says "should". I'd expect it to say "must".
Anyway, that applies to me. I like to approach with several extra =
knots,
which bumps me into category B.

I think your question was related to the calculation of Vref for the
specific landing weight and conditions, as is done when operating
heavier, usually turbine-powered, aircraft.

Old December 19th 04, 02:33 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
John R. Copeland wrote:
(b) Aircraft approach category means a grouping of aircraft based on a
speed of VREF, if specified, or if VREF is not specified, 1.3 VS0 at the

Continuing beyond what Ron quoted, here's more...
"If it is necessary to maneuver at speeds in excess of the upper limit
of a speed range for a category, the minimums for the next higher
category should be used."

I never understood why they bothered to specify a "book" speed for
approach category when the real rule is that it's based on the speed
that you fly during the approach.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old December 19th 04, 03:17 AM
John R. Copeland

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message =
=20
I never understood why they bothered to specify a "book" speed for
approach category when the real rule is that it's based on the speed
that you fly during the approach.
=20
--=20
Ben Jackson

The reason is based in aerodynamics.
1.3 Vs0 is an acceptable approximation to the point of maximum
lift/drag ratio of fixed-wing airfoils on typical small =
general-aviation aircraft.
That makes it a reasonable target for threshold-crossing speed.

Old December 19th 04, 04:41 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
John R. Copeland wrote:
The reason is based in aerodynamics.
1.3 Vs0 is an acceptable approximation to the point of maximum
lift/drag ratio of fixed-wing airfoils on typical small
general-aviation aircraft.
That makes it a reasonable target for threshold-crossing speed.

Sure, but the rule doesn't need a number, much less a formula. The rule
is effectively "approach class is based on the speed you fly the approach".

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old December 19th 04, 06:02 AM
Greg Esres

I don't know why it says "should". I'd expect it to say "must".

Because wherever you got that isn't a regulatory document. Your
source must be either the Pilot/Controller Glossary or the Instrument
Flying Handbook. Ron quoted the regulation.

Old December 19th 04, 03:57 PM

Thanks Ron. My old aim/far does not have the same wording. this is
exactly what I was looking for.
Since on most jets, Vref is specified by the manufacturer based on
weight, then at near minimum flight weight, vref may be 118 kts, cat
B. But at some higher weight, vref may be 125 kts, cat C. Hence this
** regulation ** allows that the aircraft category be determined
based on present weight, and not maximum certified weight.
And so the quandary is, why would the aim para 5.4.7 be saying that
category is based on speed at ** max certified landing weight ** ?

Old December 19th 04, 06:48 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:57:55 GMT, wrote:

why would the aim para 5.4.7 be saying that
category is based on speed at ** max certified landing weight **

Probably your AIM is old, also:

http://www.faa.gov/ATpubs/AIM/Chap5/aim0504.html#5-4-7

5-4-7. Instrument Approach Procedures

a. Aircraft approach category means a grouping of aircraft based on a
speed of VREF, if specified, or if VREF not specified, 1.3 VSO at the