?s Towing Cross Country

Old October 17th 19, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Kinnaman

Default ?s Towing Cross Country

Hello all,
I'm getting ready to tow a glider from central Illinois to the southwest.
Does anyone have any suggestions for motels that allow easy access &
parking for a tow vehicle w/glider trailer in the Springfield MO area or
thereabouts?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Old October 18th 19, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 4:00:07 PM UTC-6, Chris Kinnaman wrote:
Hello all,
I'm getting ready to tow a glider from central Illinois to the southwest.
Does anyone have any suggestions for motels that allow easy access &
parking for a tow vehicle w/glider trailer in the Springfield MO area or
thereabouts?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

I've found room at most motels except downtown locations where I've had to park on the street a couple of times. Pasadena, CA, required neighborhood parking, for example. Also all of the motels that were on motel/restaurant strips had room for park overnight. Quite a cluster of about 20 motels off I-44 in NE Springfield, range of prices and amenities.

I recommend stopping early and starting early and driving mostly by daylight. There are a lot of deer out there at night.

Not quite winter yet, but the I70 and I40 corridors are more prone to ice storms than further north or south. Much prefer snow to ice and two-lane highways over Interstates in 'weather' during winter travel.

Have a safe trip.

Just my $.02,

Frank Whiteley
Old October 18th 19, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

No worries about I-40 these days.Â* Heck, it was 23 degrees F at Moriarty
this morning at 0600 when I arrived to start day two of the C-180
annual.Â* I'll be bringing heavier clothes tomorrow!

OBTW, the temperature was in the 70s this afternoon.

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 18th 19, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Kinnaman

=
park on the street a couple of times. Pasadena, CA, required

neighborhood
=
parking, for example. Also all of the motels that were on
motel/restaurant=
strips had room for park overnight. Quite a cluster of about 20 motels
of=
f I-44 in NE Springfield, range of prices and amenities. =20

I recommend stopping early and starting early and driving mostly by
dayligh=
t. There are a lot of deer out there at night.

Not quite winter yet, but the I70 and I40 corridors are more prone to ice
s=
torms than further north or south. Much prefer snow to ice and two-lane
hi=
ghways over Interstates in 'weather' during winter travel.

Have a safe trip.

Just my $.02,

Frank Whiteley

Thanks Frank. I've done this drive about every other year, summer and
winter, since 2002. But never towing, so that aspect was not even on my
radar. I guess I'll probably use my La Quinta perks accumulated from
staying there when I was traveling with my dog...
Chris

Old October 18th 19, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Kinnaman

Thanks Dan. My home is in Edgewood, +/- 600' higher than Moriarty and 10
miles west. Believe me, I'm familiar with the temp swings!
Chris

Old October 18th 19, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 6:02:42 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

I am so glad I live in San Diego.
Old October 19th 19, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

OK Chris.Â* I'm about 8 miles west of you and at 6,900'.

On 10/17/2019 7:35 PM, Chris Kinnaman wrote:
Thanks Dan. My home is in Edgewood, +/- 600' higher than Moriarty and 10
miles west. Believe me, I'm familiar with the temp swings!
Chris

At 01:02 18 October 2019, Dan Marotta wrote:
No worries about I-40 these days.ÂÂ* Heck, it was 23 degrees F at Moriarty
this morning at 0600 when I arrived to start day two of the C-180
annual.ÂÂ* I'll be bringing heavier clothes tomorrow!

wrote:
[...]

Cross Country Minimums Fred Blair[_2_] Soaring 10 April 16th 11 09:14 PM
Cross Country again! Michelle Piloting 10 August 6th 06 06:45 PM
Cross country to Canada JJS Piloting 40 May 18th 05 02:03 AM
Cross country in the 1-34 mat Redsell Soaring 3 October 22nd 04 04:56 PM
A 4,200 NM cross-country Phil Verghese Piloting 0 September 1st 03 10:03 PM