Sad news WH

Old October 19th 19, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Calvert[_4_]

Default Sad news WH

Yesterday we lost WH. RIP Bill!

Old October 19th 19, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 8:00:05 AM UTC-5, Scott Calvert wrote:
Yesterday we lost WH. RIP Bill!

I should probably know, but who is WH? The SSA contest number database shows someone that is not named Bill.

My condolences.

Paul Remde
Old October 19th 19, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Bill/William Hansen (sp)... based out of Middletown, NY....Valley Soaring club...

My search last night showed minor info from shuycal cty, PA (Sp) of a glider crash.

He normally had a logger, maybe data fills in some blanks.

Ridge run from Blairstown (which he has done before), something happened.

He was spending a lot of time flying, flew quite a few places.

Sad to hear the news.

Any comments are speculation, no facts are known thus far...

Yes, I knew him...
Old October 19th 19, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 11:05:55 AM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:
On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 8:00:05 AM UTC-5, Scott Calvert wrote:
Yesterday we lost WH. RIP Bill!

I should probably know, but who is WH? The SSA contest number database shows someone that is not named Bill.

My condolences.

Paul Remde

William (Bill) Hanson. Relatively new to soaring, but a wonderful guy and roommate at several contests over the last several years.

The facts are as follow. We launched on a planned Out and Return ridge mission from Blairstown Airport along with several other ACA members Friday morning. It was a beautiful Fall ridge day - relatively robust winds at the beginning but not even a top 20 strong day. Thermals marked by Cu allowed reasonable progress. Pilots were out enjoying the ridges from MASA/Fairfield and Ridge Soaring as well.

We were in radio contact all day with position reports at various recognized landmarks. I was about 50 miles ahead by the end of the day, but the conditions were still solid, though winds and thermals were clearly weakening.

Based on preliminary data, Bill made his last reasonable climb near Pottsville, PA. When I checked in, he reported a "weak thermal". My response was "hang in there, you're almost home." That's the last we heard from him.

The wreckage is on the side of a hill. Fortunately, a bystander withnessed the crash and dialed 911. PA State Police immediately mobilized a helicopter and numerous ground assets. The response was all that we could hope for and more, but the result was not.

FAA and NTSB investigators supported by ACA club members are obtaining available loggers and other electronics.

Right now, the main thing we need is support for his family. Nancy (his wife) has asked all pilots who spent time with Bill to send her memories or anecdotes. Feel free to reply to me directly and we will collect and collate.

Erik Mann
Old October 20th 19, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Sad to hear.

Certain varios, such as Air Glide, linked to flight computers like the Oudie can record TAS and Groundspeed at one second intervals.

From that you can derive what the atmosphere was up to in the x and z axes.

Details on:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...DY0Q1Z6NXdsd2s
Old October 20th 19, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Thanks Erik....sad way to end a day.

While Bill was "new", he did a fair amount of flying in his time.
Old October 20th 19, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 7:45:48 PM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Thanks Erik....sad way to end a day.

While Bill was "new", he did a fair amount of flying in his time.

Bill was also SSA State Governor for NY/R2. He once displayed his glider and promoted soaring from a downtown location.

Frank Whiteley
Old October 20th 19, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

Very sad news indeed, I was flying out of ridge soaring that day, and I heard his last radio call when he said he was in a weak thermal at the end of the day.

Old October 21st 19, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 9:00:05 AM UTC-4, Scott Calvert wrote:
Yesterday we lost WH. RIP Bill!

It took a few days to gather my thoughts.
Bill came back to soaring a few years ago, having soloed as teenager, then going on to a career and raising a big family. Along the way he was a world class kayaking competitor.
He got back into soaring with great enthusiasm, completing his diamond badge in just a few years.
Bill got into competition with mixed results, but always having a great deal of fun. He was partners in a 2 place self launching glider that was purchase mostly so Nancy could share the experience. She became a pretty good tactician.
As a member of the Valley Soaring Club he was always available to help and served as treasurer and valued expert and adviser.
Bill gobbled up life in huge bites, always with cheerful,happy smile.
We will miss him terribly.
UH
Old October 21st 19, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I didn't know Bill Hanson as well as many. I met him a few years ago at Wurtsboro at the regional and encountered him numerous times after that, in the air and on the ground with Nancy. What struck me about him was the absence of drama and conceit. Bill seemed to be there to fly as well as he could but to enjoy it no matter what. He was a solid pilot but he didn't seem to be bothered when he had a bad day. Neither did he grow boisterous and effusive when he had a good day. I didn't even realize he had a new glider (the LAK-17 FES) this spring for a while. He didn't show it off or comment "casually" about how cool it was. He just came to fly, as usual, quietly and confidently sure of himself.

I appreciated that Bill reached out to me several times, knowing that despite having flown in the area for many years, I'm not as familiar with the clubs anymore. One of my best memories is a small thing: I was flying up the valley out of Blairstown this spring and he and another pilot were ahead and higher. I was low man and getting a little uncomfortable when I realized they both had engines ("hypothetically, guys, which side of the river is it that I shouldn't land on?"). WH saw me down below and talked me into his thermal. Again, no drama.

Our measure of someone is often evident in the comments made about them when they pass. In this, Bill gets high marks. I'm sorry I didn't know him better but I, too, will miss him.

Chip Bearden
JB