On Topic old tidbit - bummer

Old December 14th 07, 04:10 AM posted to sci.military.naval, rec.aviation.military.naval
Scott M. Kozel

Default On Topic old tidbit - bummer

"a425couple" wrote:

While looking for something else, reading
site:http://www.silent-warriors.com/shootdown_list.html

I found this bummer:
25 May 1968 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger buzzed a group of US Navy vessels,
including the USS Essex (CVS-9), off the coast of northern Norway. Shortly
after passing low over the Essex, the Soviet bomber banked and one wing tip
hit the sea. The plane then cartwheeled and exploded. There were no
survivors.

Show-boating, or just routine goof-up?

- Suicide -

Old December 14th 07, 05:47 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Ray O'Hara[_2_]

On Dec 13, 2:27 pm, "Ray O'Hara" wrote:
"a425couple" wrote in message

While looking for something else, reading site:
http://www.silent-warriors.com/shootdown_list.html

I found this bummer:
25 May 1968 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger buzzed a group of US Navy

vessels,
including the USS Essex (CVS-9), off the coast of northern Norway.

Shortly
after passing low over the Essex, the Soviet bomber banked and one

wing
tip
hit the sea. The plane then cartwheeled and exploded. There were

no
survivors.

Show-boating, or just routine goof-up?

both.

Neither, didn't happen, Benny-boy wasn't in the Sea of Japan on that
day and if a Soviet aircraft had crashed within sight of an American
ship there would have noise up and down the Asian Coast.The Tonkin
Gulf incident would not have taken place because no one would have
sent the Maddox in. That was about Jul;y 28.

norway is near the sea of japan? damn i thought it was near the north

sea.
but hey. maybe all my maps and geography books are wrong.

and the essex was nicknamed the benny? odd

Another bummer, misread the subject

so i figured

Old December 14th 07, 12:05 PM posted to sci.military.naval, rec.aviation.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

Default On Topic old tidbit - seems valid?

On Dec 13, 9:18 pm, "a425couple" wrote:
"Jack Linthicum" wrote

"a425couple" wrote:
"a425couple" wrote
While looking for something else, reading site:
http://www.silent-warriors.com/shootdown_list.html
I found this bummer:
25 May 1968 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger buzzed a group of US Navy --
and similarone,
"15 July 1964 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger crashed in the Sea of Japan near
the USS Bennington, USS Cunningham and USS Eversole."

Got a cite for that second one? I was in the Sea of Japan on that
date. Do not remember any activity like that.

Well, a second source seems to be at:http://www.aiipowmia.com/koreacw/cwwg96d.html
where it says in part:
"Page 72

The U.S. side of the Commission also presented information on the 25 May
1968 crash of a Soviet Tu-16 "Badger" in the Norwegian Sea. During working
group sessions held in April 1995, the U.S. side turned over the Deck Log
and Command History of the U.S.S. Essex for May 1968. At the Twelfth Plenary
Session in August 1995, the U.S. side passed to the Russian side film
footage of the crash of the Tu-16 taken from the U.S.S. Essex as well as a
written eyewitness testimony of this
incident.

In April 1995, during working group sessions, the U.S. side passed over the
deck logs of the U.S.S. Bennington from 1 July 64 to 31 July 1964, the deck
log of the U.S.S. Cunningham from 14 July 1964 to 16 July 1964 and the deck
log of the U.S.S. Eversole from 14 July 1964 to 16 July 1964. These deck
logs all pertain to the crash of a Soviet Tu-16r "Badger" on 15 July 1964 in
the Sea of Japan."

and a third source:http://www.dtic.mil/dpmo/sovietunion...jc_apr_rpt.htm
that states in part:
"The U.S. side has provided videotape, artifacts, and a formal report by the
U.S. Co-Chairman of the Commission in plenary session on the loss of the
Soviet Golf-class submarine which sank in 1968. The U.S. has also provided
information, deck logs and videotape on the 25 May 1968 crash of the Soviet
Tu-16 Badger in the Norwegian Sea; deck logs of U.S. naval units in the
vicinity of a 15 July 1964 Soviet Tu-16 Badger crash in the Sea of Japan;
documents and photograph relating to the loss of a Soviet twin-engine bomber
on 4 September 1950 off the coast of Korea; and information on Soviet
advisers captured in the Ogaden in 1978."

So, cynical as I may be of misinformation on the internet
getting dispersed wildly, these seem at current glance
to be widely separated from seemingly valid enough sources.

This is a little bit like hearing that there was a major car crash on
your street 43 years later. If you read the oral history the ship I
was on did a "stealth" run up to the Vladivostok area. We were copying
the fleet covered broadcast, it is very unlikely--like impossible--
that something like a Tu-16 crash in plain sight of three U.S.
warships, also operating in the Sea of Japan, would have failed to be
sent on that. We were getting drunken sailor arrests in the Philipines
and Vietnam events as well as the classified stuff. Makes you wonder.
Old December 17th 07, 09:00 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
a425couple

Default OT old tidbit - valid +

"Jack Linthicum" wrote
"a425couple" wrote:

http://www.aiipowmia.com/koreacw/cwwg96d.html says in part:
[...]

Dear Jack,
(who I always want to consider a friend - even when we respectfully
disagree on things)
You say, "very unlikely - like impossible -"

You wanted a cite, I've given you 3 pretty solid ones.
Without searching further (seems pointless),
It seems quite solid that it happened.
Your only reason to disagree seems to be that you didn't know.

Offhand, I'd suggest what I regularly give myself, dose of humbleness
and awareness that:
1. My memory may not be as good as I wish (or as it once was?)
and/or
2. although we have both held pretty 'informed' positions, that
does not mean we knew everything.

Lightly trying to move on:
Yeah, I remember those "drunken sailor arrests in the Philipines"
reports from that time I spent filling a fairly high Major's billet
staff position in a overseas MarDiv.
There are a lot of full bird Col. in the USMC. But there are only 9
infantry Regiments, so command of one is VERY sought after and coveted.
Well, we had recently had Cmd. Gen., change of command.
Then this new Col. arrives and has change of command ceremony
taking command of a Regt. Very soon after (that night? within a week!),
he gets caught by MPs driving drunk (too good a wetting down party!).
I do not remember if it was later that morning, or if it next day after
he'd had time to sober up/understand. But he was brought to
Div. HQ to meet with CG. He left in hurry, to catch plane to his
next duty station - Adack, Alaska (to contemplate when to turn in
his request for retirement papers -- flush).
Pretty clear message was sent from CG to Div.
I do not believe that report was ever listed along with those
"drunken sailor arrests in the Philipines".

Old December 17th 07, 09:05 PM posted to sci.military.naval, rec.aviation.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

http://www.aiipowmia.com/koreacw/cwwg96d.html says in part: In April 1995, during working group sessions, the U.S. side passed over
[...]

I was on a ship, actually two ships, that copied the covered fleet
broadcast. This was a classified up to Top Secret encrypted run on of
every message from every command in the Pacific area.

Since one of those ships was playing a stealthy approach to Vald it
would have been wise, if not necessary, to tell us that 1) the
Bennington and its escorts were playing around with the Japanese
somewhere in the Sea of Japan. 2) If a Soviet aircraft had gone into
the sea within sight of an American Navy exercise there would have
been all hell breaking loose at Vlad and Nakhodka. Instead, when we
got there, there was a general Chinese fire drill of ships plowing out
of those ports, but no aircraft.

I would like to see what the positions were for those ships and the
point where the aircraft went in. It's a long time ago but I might
still find someone and ask what was going on.
Old December 19th 07, 01:05 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Yeff

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:00:25 -0800, a425couple wrote:

Well, we had recently had Cmd. Gen., change of command. Then this new
Col. arrives and has change of command ceremony taking command of a
Regt. Very soon after (that night? within a week!), he gets caught
by MPs driving drunk (too good a wetting down party!).

There was just something about the PI that made people stupid. At Clark
it would've been the 500+ bars within five miles of the main gate...

--

-Jeff B. (who only visited 432 of those bars during a four year tour)

"Excuse me.
I don't mean to impose,
but I am the Ocean."

~ The Salton Sea
Old December 19th 07, 01:15 AM posted to sci.military.naval, rec.aviation.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

On Dec 18, 7:05 pm, Yeff wrote:
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:00:25 -0800, a425couple wrote:
Well, we had recently had Cmd. Gen., change of command. Then this new
Col. arrives and has change of command ceremony taking command of a
Regt. Very soon after (that night? within a week!), he gets caught
by MPs driving drunk (too good a wetting down party!).

There was just something about the PI that made people stupid. At Clark
it would've been the 500+ bars within five miles of the main gate...

--

-Jeff B. (who only visited 432 of those bars during a four year tour)

"Excuse me.
I don't mean to impose,
but I am the Ocean."

~ The Salton Sea

I would like to nominate the Chaplain that got a hand grenade in his
car. Local Catholic chaplain lived in a house across from the O Club
with his mother. (He threw us out when arrived, the Admiral didn't
want him up in married officers country). He drove one of those basic
Mercedes, the ones that became taxis. He sold it to some guy outside
(Olongopo) and when the hired driver went to take it out the gate
there was a regular tumping sound under the hood. Hand Grenade
formerly taped to the engine block and the pin wired to the fan belt.

Captain at Cubi came home to find two guys carrying his TV out the
back door. No TV then at Subic. Captain hired "night gardeners".
Igoritos with blow guns for security duty.

I went to the beach at Cubi one day and drove back the shore road,
came upon some men unloading what looked like a large sailplane out of
a cargo plane. U-2.
Old December 19th 07, 09:35 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Yeff

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:15:04 -0800 (PST), Jack Linthicum wrote:

Captain at Cubi came home to find two guys carrying his TV out the
back door. No TV then at Subic. Captain hired "night gardeners".
Igoritos with blow guns for security duty.

"Negritos", not "Igoritos". They were the indigenous people of the
Philippines, not the ones who'd co mingled with the Spanish, the
Chinese, the Malayan's, and a host of others.At one time they were
guards on Clark AB. They cut off the heads of a couple of intruders
(posted them on the perimeter of the base to discourage others) and
ended up getting fired.

Getting fired? That was just overkill...

Marcos ****ed them over royally. He told them the base need to expand
and moved their village. Then he rented the vacated land to the Air
Force.

They were given free access to the base once the Air Force found out
what happened and would go through the dumpsters to find food. One
night we were leaving work and discovered one of them had somehow got
locked in one and was banging it to get attention. Once he was freed it
was discovered he was collecting the containers ("barf boxes") that had
uneaten food. Those were sent over by the chow-hall.

After that incident we made it a point to collect all of the uneaten
food into as few of the Styrofoam containers as possible. These we
stacked on top of the dumpster for easy access.

The gate that exited into the Negrito village was about 3/4ths of a mile
from our ops building. Being a SIGINT collection unit we were put
almost in the middle of nowhere, far from any base activities. A lot of
our guys liked to go out to visit the village and give them as much help
as they could. Here's a picture of a onetime king of that village:
http://members.tripod.com/~samsonr/peopleplaces/negrito.jpg

My unit from 1987 to 1991: http://members.tripod.com/~samsonr/

Best. Assignment. Ever.

--

-Jeff B.

"Excuse me.
I don't mean to impose,
but I am the Ocean."

~ The Salton Sea

Bummer Frank Whiteley Soaring 0 June 23rd 07 03:22 PM
Intersting tidbit about the Miami seaplane crash and fuel reserves xyzzy Instrument Flight Rules 5 December 24th 05 12:43 PM
bummer John Harlow Piloting 1 September 30th 04 07:50 AM
off topic Randall Robertson Simulators 0 January 2nd 04 02:29 PM