UK2 VL229 Vickers VikingC2.jpg

Old August 2nd 12, 12:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton[_3_]

Default UK2 VL229 Vickers VikingC2.jpg

"Dave Kearton" wrote in message
"Bob (not my real pseudonym)" wrote in message
On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 17:05:37 +0100, Ramsman
wrote:

Aviation history is up to its arse in Globemasters, too...

Either the foreground or the background would qualify as a pretty picture,
doing both is like chocolate and vanilla in the same bucket of
strawberries.

Unless I've mis-Googled, this is Mt St Helens from Ed Carlson ?

OK, I'll take a partial on that.....it's Chehalis-Centralia. Looks like a
very nice corner of the planet too.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old August 2nd 12, 06:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Bob (not my real pseudonym)" wrote:

On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 17:05:37 +0100, Ramsman
wrote:

On 01/08/2012 14:20, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Joseph Testagrose wrote in
:

begin 644 UK2 VL229 Vickers VikingC2.jpg

Attachment decoded: UK2 VL229 Vickers VikingC2.jpg
`
end

I was expecting a flying boat.

It's like what I experience when posts are about Hornets and Typhoons.
They're usually grey things with holes at each end instead of having
whirly bits pulling them along. And now there's a third Lightning as well.

Aviation history is up to its arse in Globemasters, too...

Yes -- C-74, C-124, C-17
Old August 2nd 12, 06:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ramsman

In article ,

wrote:

On 01/08/2012 14:20, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Joseph Testagrose wrote in
:

begin 644 UK2 VL229 Vickers VikingC2.jpg

Attachment decoded: UK2 VL229 Vickers VikingC2.jpg
`
end

I was expecting a flying boat.

It's like what I experience when posts are about Hornets and Typhoons.
They're usually grey things with holes at each end instead of having
whirly bits pulling them along. And now there's a third Lightning as well.

Aviation history is up to its arse in Globemasters, too...

Yes -- C-74, C-124, C-17

Then there's the Westland Wessex, Hawker Harrier, Hawker Fury, de
Havilland Comet, McD Phantom, Vought Corsair, NA Fury, all of which have
been applied to at least two different types. There are probably others,
but they don't spring to mind at the moment. Oh yes, the Supermarine
Spitfire, of course, and the Vickers and de Havilland Venoms.

--
Peter
Old August 3rd 12, 06:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 20:55:21 +0930, "Dave Kearton"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Aviation history is up to its arse in Globemasters, too...

Either the foreground or the background would qualify as a pretty picture,
doing both is like chocolate and vanilla in the same bucket of strawberries.

Unless I've mis-Googled, this is Mt St Helens from Ed Carlson ?

Ackshirley, Mt Rainier from McChord AFB (oops - "Joint Base
Lewis-McChord" now) near Tacoma, Washington - about 60 miles south of
my hometown of Seattle. Home base for the 62 AMW C-17's and some Army
folks.

Mt Rainier does make for a nice backdrop, and it is more well-behaved
tham Mt St Helens. For now.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg F-16C Thunderbirds TCM 7-31-05 023.jpg (116.8 KB, 21 views)
Old August 3rd 12, 06:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 21:11:47 +0930, "Dave Kearton"
wrote:

Either the foreground or the background would qualify as a pretty picture,
doing both is like chocolate and vanilla in the same bucket of
strawberries.

Fine. Mention ice cream after the Trader Joe's across the street
closes for the day.

Unless I've mis-Googled, this is Mt St Helens from Ed Carlson ?

OK, I'll take a partial on that.....it's Chehalis-Centralia. Looks like a
very nice corner of the planet too.

Here is St Helens from about five miles away, during the 2005
dome-building eruption.

And another from July 1980 during one of its secondary burps after
"The Big One" of May 18, 1980. This one was taken from 100 miles
away, and not an inch too far.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT8286.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	57973  Click image for larger version

Name:	MtStHelens_80-07-22-1a.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	57974
Old August 3rd 12, 06:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)

In article ,

wrote:

On 01/08/2012 14:20, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Joseph Testagrose wrote in
:

begin 644 UK2 VL229 Vickers VikingC2.jpg

Attachment decoded: UK2 VL229 Vickers VikingC2.jpg
`
end

I was expecting a flying boat.

It's like what I experience when posts are about Hornets and Typhoons.
They're usually grey things with holes at each end instead of having
whirly bits pulling them along. And now there's a third Lightning as well.

Aviation history is up to its arse in Globemasters, too...

Yes -- C-74, C-124, C-17

I should have typed:

"Aviation history is up to its arse in Globemasters, three...

All Boeings, just like the DC-3. ;^}
Old August 3rd 12, 12:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton[_3_]

wrote:

Either the foreground or the background would qualify as a pretty
picture,
doing both is like chocolate and vanilla in the same bucket of
strawberries.

Fine. Mention ice cream after the Trader Joe's across the street
closes for the day.

Unless I've mis-Googled, this is Mt St Helens from Ed Carlson ?

OK, I'll take a partial on that.....it's Chehalis-Centralia. Looks like
very nice corner of the planet too.

Here is St Helens from about five miles away, during the 2005
dome-building eruption.

And another from July 1980 during one of its secondary burps after
"The Big One" of May 18, 1980. This one was taken from 100 miles
away, and not an inch too far.

That must have been a life-changing event. I should pay more attention
to volcanoes.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old August 3rd 12, 12:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton[_3_]

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Aviation history is up to its arse in Globemasters, too...

Either the foreground or the background would qualify as a pretty picture,
doing both is like chocolate and vanilla in the same bucket of
strawberries.

Unless I've mis-Googled, this is Mt St Helens from Ed Carlson ?

Ackshirley, Mt Rainier from McChord AFB (oops - "Joint Base
Lewis-McChord" now) near Tacoma, Washington - about 60 miles south of
my hometown of Seattle. Home base for the 62 AMW C-17's and some Army
folks.

There we go, was being too clever. They both have 16/34 runways, was
too keen to jump at the first one I saw.

Mt Rainier does make for a nice backdrop, and it is more well-behaved
tham Mt St Helens. For now.

It's the quiet ones that you can't trust.....they don't all look alike for
nothing you know.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old August 3rd 12, 01:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew Chaplin

"Dave Kearton" wrote in
:

wrote:

Either the foreground or the background would qualify as a pretty
picture,
doing both is like chocolate and vanilla in the same bucket of
strawberries.

Fine. Mention ice cream after the Trader Joe's across the street
closes for the day.

Unless I've mis-Googled, this is Mt St Helens from Ed Carlson ?

OK, I'll take a partial on that.....it's Chehalis-Centralia. Looks
like a
very nice corner of the planet too.

Here is St Helens from about five miles away, during the 2005
dome-building eruption.

And another from July 1980 during one of its secondary burps after
"The Big One" of May 18, 1980. This one was taken from 100 miles
away, and not an inch too far.

That must have been a life-changing event. I should pay more
attention to volcanoes.

Mount Saint Helens sand-blasted my car, parked outside the quarters some
2,000 Km away in Shilo, Manitoba.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old August 3rd 12, 02:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Trajan

"Hey look, the mountain's out"!

wrote:

Aviation history is up to its arse in Globemasters, too...

Either the foreground or the background would qualify as a pretty picture,
doing both is like chocolate and vanilla in the same bucket of
strawberries.

Unless I've mis-Googled, this is Mt St Helens from Ed Carlson ?

Ackshirley, Mt Rainier from McChord AFB (oops - "Joint Base
Lewis-McChord" now) near Tacoma, Washington - about 60 miles south of
my hometown of Seattle. Home base for the 62 AMW C-17's and some Army
folks.

Mt Rainier does make for a nice backdrop, and it is more well-behaved
tham Mt St Helens. For now.

UK2 RP550 Vickers WellingtonTMkX.jpg Joseph Testagrose Aviation Photos 0 April 3rd 12 12:21 PM
UK2 DZ217 Vickers 432 3.jpg Joseph Testagrose Aviation Photos 0 November 9th 11 12:20 PM
Vickers Viking Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 September 30th 09 01:25 PM
Vickers Vimy Thank You Piloting 1 June 7th 05 10:53 PM
Vickers Vimy Thank You Owning 0 June 6th 05 03:34 PM