Restoring an Old Spam Can -- To Strip or Not to Strip

Old July 16th 04, 06:58 AM
jls

Default Restoring an Old Spam Can -- To Strip or Not to Strip

What's the weight penalty for not stripping an old 172, just painting over
the old paint, after sanding it first, of course. I'm new at this but
willing to make a go of it. I'd like to use a high-gloss polyurethane and
some bright colors. TIA for your advice. I've been receiving a lot of
priceless advice in this forum lately, and in a yahoogroups forum. For
which I am grateful.

BTW, the top done on the O-300 has been wonderful. Millenium cylinders,
rocker arms rebuilt. The engine has around 8 hours and hasn't even used
any oil. I am impressed. The rings are seated now and she has all kinds
of power. Well, at least for an O-300. After flying a Taylorcraft the
flaps are fun too. And so is flying at night.

Old July 16th 04, 01:28 PM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 01:58:52 -0400, jls wrote:

What's the weight penalty for not stripping an old 172, just painting over
the old paint, after sanding it first, of course. I'm new at this but
willing to make a go of it. I'd like to use a high-gloss polyurethane and

It depends on what paint you use, but I'd guess 10 - 15 lbs would be added
to the plane.

What you're proposing to do is why I don't like to buy planes that have
been repainted. Weight is weight and someday you'll want that extra
amount back and it will cost a lot of money to strip and refinish again.

So, if you're doing it yourself take some extra time and do it right,
you'll be pleased at the results.

Old July 16th 04, 02:30 PM
Hatz Lyman C

Once you see what the Poly paint is going to cost you, the question becomes, do
you really want to put that much money over old paint. Best to start with bare
metal. IMHO.

Lyman
Old July 16th 04, 05:26 PM
Nathan Young

wrote:

What's the weight penalty for not stripping an old 172, just painting over
the old paint, after sanding it first, of course. I'm new at this but
willing to make a go of it. I'd like to use a high-gloss polyurethane and
some bright colors. TIA for your advice. I've been receiving a lot of
priceless advice in this forum lately, and in a yahoogroups forum. For
which I am grateful.

From a standpoint - if you are going to paint the plane, it really
should be stripped first. There can be corrosion under the existing
paint that you will not see until it bubbles up the paint.

As a side note, if you try to sell your plane in the next few years,
anyone buying should be asking how the paintjob was completed, and if
you have proof (pictures/video) to verify it was correctly stripped,
etched, alodined, primed, etc...

Old July 16th 04, 08:16 PM
Snowbird

"Matthew P. Cummings" wrote in message gray.net...
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 01:58:52 -0400, jls wrote:
What's the weight penalty for not stripping an old 172, just painting over
the old paint, after sanding it first, of course. I'm new at this but
willing to make a go of it. I'd like to use a high-gloss polyurethane and

It depends on what paint you use, but I'd guess 10 - 15 lbs would be added
to the plane.

Fact: the W&B done after a 2nd coat was added to our plane, is 30 lbs
more. Our plane probably has less painted surface area than a C172
(same max gross weight, I think the wings are shorter, more window area).
We would welcome having that 30 lbs back, believe me.

And of course, if there are any flaws in the underlying finish where
it is not simply weathered, but is not adhering properly or has a lot
of silicon impregnated through it from extensive use of silicon-based
waxes and polishes, those flaws will reduce the life of the 2nd coat.

FWIW,
Sydney
Old July 16th 04, 08:41 PM
Joe Vasher

" jls" wrote in message .. .
What's the weight penalty for not stripping an old 172, just painting over
the old paint, after sanding it first, of course. I'm new at this but
willing to make a go of it. I'd like to use a high-gloss polyurethane and
some bright colors. TIA for your advice. I've been receiving a lot of
priceless advice in this forum lately, and in a yahoogroups forum. For
which I am grateful.

BTW, the top done on the O-300 has been wonderful. Millenium cylinders,
rocker arms rebuilt. The engine has around 8 hours and hasn't even used
any oil. I am impressed. The rings are seated now and she has all kinds
of power. Well, at least for an O-300. After flying a Taylorcraft the
flaps are fun too. And so is flying at night.

Don't DO THAT! It works out to more like 30 pounds, Just try to
wrangle a good ice stripper(its not to messing the ice particles melts
when your done, and you just sweep up the paint after a day or so.
from someone using that to remove the paint. It will cost you a few
hundred more (4 - 5)
Old July 17th 04, 02:40 PM
bryan chaisone

Anyone know what the going rate for a paint job is these days? For
argument sake, white only, no trims.

aircraft paint over full strip down & paint
c150/2 ? ?
c172 ? ?
mooney ? ?
cherokee ? ?
other low wings ? ?

Just trying to see if I might get into this business. Always wanted
to be in the aviation business. Thought painting might be the one w/
the least liability.

Thanks,
Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone
Old July 17th 04, 04:43 PM
Pete Schaefer

Probably a pretty safe bet. However, a friend of a friend of a friend took
his airplane to some knucklehead auto repair types who had no experience
with airplanes. They offered such a good deal! "Sure we can do an
airplane....just like doing a car!" They thought it was the cool thing to
just sand the airplane down to bare metal. They did him the added favor of
making all the rivet heads flush. Complete disaster.

So, as long as you don't do anything completely bone-headed like that.....

"bryan chaisone" wrote in message
om...
Thought painting might be the one w/ the least liability.