A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

500 KM hang Gliding Record in Australia

Old December 14th 18, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default 500 KM hang Gliding Record in Australia

The HGFA sends out:

A Lismore pilot and member of the Hang Gliding Federation of Australia, has set an Australian Hang Gliding record, soaring 500km to a declared goal over the spectacular Queensland outback – a total of 10 hours in the air.

Reaching ground speeds of over 100km/hr, Scott Barrett from Northern NSW flew sky high, taking off in an unpowered hang glider from the Dalby Hang Gliding Club and landing in Charleville on December 8.

The 10-hour flight has broken the previous record by 150km. Scott made the record flight by starting out being towed up behind an ultralight aircraft..

“I released from the tow at 2000ft above the Dalby airport and made my way alone over the big open Queensland skies - over the cotton fields, the gas fields, the scrublands and huge cattle stations,” he said.

“It’s wide open and dry and perfect for an awesome flight - it gets a little remote but it is beautiful country to fly over.”

Three pilots flew independently on the day; Viv Clements of Brisbane made a 400km flight, Michael Jackson of Brisbane also made a great unprecedented flight to the same declared goal at Charleville, but with a different start point, making his distance just a little shorter.

“I had a number of encounters with Wedge Tailed Eagles who made an effort to come and fly inquisitively and cooperatively with me,” said Scott.

“It’s amazing what is out there and how big the stations are. I was not following any roads, just looking where I needed to find the next rising air or plotting a course to get past forests and maintaining a focus on getting to goal safely. This has been a most memorable experience..

“I had a lot of water, oxygen and survival equipment for the flight.. I was carrying CB and airband radios, a spot tracker, EPIRB, parachutes, food, blankets and other essentials. But in the end, I landed at the goal and retrieval was easy. I had steered a hang glider around for 10 hours, but it had also taken a year of waiting for the right weather and I was happy and tired.

“I’ve enjoyed going and flying the record, and the terrain that I flew over. I will always remember it was really spectacular. Watching the sunset from just under a 10,000 ft cloud base late in the day and gliding the last 40km to goal, was a special moment. I could not yet see my goal as it was too hazy that late in the day, but my instruments told me I would make it as I glided slowly and silently through beautiful smooth air and enjoyed the view. An Australian record was awaiting and I had time to enjoy just being there alone in the air.”

Information on record attempt.

Record type- distance to a declared goal, for a class 1 (flexwing) hang glider

Distance achieved – 500km, previous record was 343km set in Victoria.

Aircraft- unpowered hang glider, a class 1 flexwing hang glider. Make: Airborne Wind sports C4-13

Start -Dalby Hang Gliding Club, Dalby Airfield in Darling Downs QLD.

Finish- Charleville QLD

Launch method: aero tow (using 90m of rope behind an Ultralight aircraft)

Maximum height 10,000ft

Average speed 50km/hr, maximum ground speed - over 100kph.

Time in the air 10 hours
Old December 14th 18, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 9:49:22 AM UTC-8, Nick Kennedy wrote:
The HGFA sends out:

A Lismore pilot and member of the Hang Gliding Federation of Australia, has set an Australian Hang Gliding record, soaring 500km to a declared goal over the spectacular Queensland outback – a total of 10 hours in the air.

Reaching ground speeds of over 100km/hr, Scott Barrett from Northern NSW flew sky high, taking off in an unpowered hang glider from the Dalby Hang Gliding Club and landing in Charleville on December 8.

The 10-hour flight has broken the previous record by 150km. Scott made the record flight by starting out being towed up behind an ultralight aircraft.

“I released from the tow at 2000ft above the Dalby airport and made my way alone over the big open Queensland skies - over the cotton fields, the gas fields, the scrublands and huge cattle stations,” he said..

“It’s wide open and dry and perfect for an awesome flight - it gets a little remote but it is beautiful country to fly over.”

Three pilots flew independently on the day; Viv Clements of Brisbane made a 400km flight, Michael Jackson of Brisbane also made a great unprecedented flight to the same declared goal at Charleville, but with a different start point, making his distance just a little shorter.

“I had a number of encounters with Wedge Tailed Eagles who made an effort to come and fly inquisitively and cooperatively with me,” said Scott.

“It’s amazing what is out there and how big the stations are. I was not following any roads, just looking where I needed to find the next rising air or plotting a course to get past forests and maintaining a focus on getting to goal safely. This has been a most memorable experience.

“I had a lot of water, oxygen and survival equipment for the flight. I was carrying CB and airband radios, a spot tracker, EPIRB, parachutes, food, blankets and other essentials. But in the end, I landed at the goal and retrieval was easy. I had steered a hang glider around for 10 hours, but it had also taken a year of waiting for the right weather and I was happy and tired.

“I’ve enjoyed going and flying the record, and the terrain that I flew over. I will always remember it was really spectacular. Watching the sunset from just under a 10,000 ft cloud base late in the day and gliding the last 40km to goal, was a special moment. I could not yet see my goal as it was too hazy that late in the day, but my instruments told me I would make it as I glided slowly and silently through beautiful smooth air and enjoyed the view. An Australian record was awaiting and I had time to enjoy just being there alone in the air.”

Information on record attempt.

Record type- distance to a declared goal, for a class 1 (flexwing) hang glider

Distance achieved – 500km, previous record was 343km set in Victoria.

Aircraft- unpowered hang glider, a class 1 flexwing hang glider. Make: Airborne Wind sports C4-13

Start -Dalby Hang Gliding Club, Dalby Airfield in Darling Downs QLD.

Finish- Charleville QLD

Launch method: aero tow (using 90m of rope behind an Ultralight aircraft)

Maximum height 10,000ft

Average speed 50km/hr, maximum ground speed - over 100kph.

Time in the air 10 hours

Out of interest I just checked what the record distance is for a triangle.

161.0 km in Australia in 1989 (a world record at the time)
357.12 km world record, in 2000
Old December 15th 18, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Fantastic!