New transponder mode S vs. mode C

Old November 4th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom N.

Default New transponder mode S vs. mode C

Any opinions? I plan to install a new Becker transponder in my ASW-28.
Should I go with the old mode C unit or pay extra for the new mode S
unit? Thanks.

Old November 5th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger[_5_]

S mode gives you traffic and is wonderful if you fly where there is
other transpoder equiped aircraft. It has been very useful to me in
general aviation.

Old November 5th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 4, 5:32 pm, "Tom N." wrote:
Any opinions? I plan to install a new Becker transponder in my ASW-28.
Should I go with the old mode C unit or pay extra for the new mode S
unit? Thanks.

The new Becker mode S unit is about the same price as the old A/C.
Its 2,064 Euros (plus $200 for an ACK-30 encode).
This is what I got for my Antares 20E... See:
http://www.becker-avionics.com/files...401-2-(01).pdf

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave "YO"

Old November 5th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

wrote:
On Nov 4, 5:32 pm, "Tom N." wrote:
Any opinions? I plan to install a new Becker transponder in my ASW-28.
Should I go with the old mode C unit or pay extra for the new mode S
unit? Thanks.

The new Becker mode S unit is about the same price as the old A/C.
Its 2,064 Euros (plus $200 for an ACK-30 encode).
This is what I got for my Antares 20E... See:
http://www.becker-avionics.com/files...401-2-(01).pdf

Several stores offer the mode C Becker for less than $2000 US dollars,
so you might want to check around if price is important; otherwise, it
is more desirable.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old November 5th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Roger wrote:
S mode gives you traffic and is wonderful if you fly where there is
other transpoder equiped aircraft. It has been very useful to me in
general aviation.

Can you tell us what additional equipment it takes to get the traffic,
how the traffic is displayed, and where the traffic information is
available? For example, I think I read in the AOPA newsletter that the
traffic info was being cut back in a number of places, and was mainly
available near large cities, but I've never used the system.

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old November 5th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom N.

Thanks everyone. Can you tell me why mode S is more desirable? Even
with mode S, I don't think that I could display traffic on my PDA.

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Old November 5th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

You need a graphic display device, like a Garmin 430 to see traffic.
Beware. The FAA has announced that new radars will not support the Traffic
Info function, so the main advantage of Mode S will be gone. I would opt
for a low cost solution, as eventually ADS-B will obsolete both Mode S and
Mode C transponders.

Mike Schumann

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Old November 5th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Mode S will give you more than traffic, in an IFR world..
but The Mode S is only the conduit.. you need the parts to display the data
on..
and they have not set it up for a pda yet..

not good for a glider
BT

oups.com...

Old November 5th 06, 08:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hans

Mode S is more desirable as large portion of the airspace will be only
available for gilders with engine if the glider is mode S equipped after
31 March 2008.

If connected to a certified GPS your mode S transponder can emit the
current position and altitude in the extended quitter, so that you are
visible with much higher accuracy on TCAS of the big boys.

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Old November 5th 06, 09:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stefan

Tom N. schrieb:
Any opinions? I plan to install a new Becker transponder in my ASW-28.
Should I go with the old mode C unit or pay extra for the new mode S
unit? Thanks.

Tor answer this question, it would be extremely helpful to know in which
part of the world you intend to fly.