Whaddat?

Old June 30th 07, 10:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ramapo

Default Whaddat?

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 07:35:19 GMT, "William R Thompson"
wrote:

This is capped from an episode of the original Outer Limits,
"The Architects of Fear." I think it's stock footage of a
Regulus 2 cruise missile, but I'm not certain. Can anyone
identify this bird?

--Bill Thompson

This is almost certianly a Bomarc in boost phase with the ramjets just
starting to generate thrust. The short wing and rearward postion of
the wing would rule out any of the earlier subsonic cruise type
missiles. Paul
Old June 30th 07, 10:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bruce R

"Jim" wrote in message
Bomarc in JATO boost phase?

"William R Thompson" wrote in message
ink.net...
This is capped from an episode of the original Outer Limits,
"The Architects of Fear." I think it's stock footage of a
Regulus 2 cruise missile, but I'm not certain. Can anyone
identify this bird?

--Bill Thompson

Of Course BOMARC, I'd quite forgotten about it. I do believe you're right,
wings are too stubby and delta planformed to be a SNARK. Good call, kudos
to you.

Bruce

Old July 1st 07, 07:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
William R Thompson

"Bruce R" wrote:

"Jim" wrote:

Bomarc in JATO boost phase?

Of Course BOMARC, I'd quite forgotten about it. I do believe you're
right, wings are too stubby and delta planformed to be a SNARK. Good
call, kudos to you.

I forgot about BOMARC, too. It might be something
else (an X-7 testbed of the BOMARC ramjet, or
an AQM-60) but it's more likely that the Outer Limits
used stock footage of the BOMARC here.

--Bill Thompson

Old July 1st 07, 07:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
William R Thompson

Default Whaddat? - BOMARC launch

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOMARCLaunch3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	13572
Old July 1st 07, 07:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
William R Thompson

Default BOMARC in flight

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bomarc-1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	13573
Old July 1st 07, 07:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
William R Thompson

Default AQM-60A

The AQM-60A was a high-speed target drone.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aqm-60a-1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	13574
Old July 1st 07, 08:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
William R Thompson

Default X-7 and BOMARC ramjet

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x-7.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	13575
Old July 1st 07, 08:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
William R Thompson

Default Hangar Queen -- Miss BOMARC

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MissBOMARC.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	13576
Old July 1st 07, 08:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ron Monroe

Bomarcs had a straight trailing edge, no sweep, on it's wing. They didn't
use JATO, they had a rocket in the fuselage and two ramjets hung underneath.
This looks like a swept wing, with almost no taper. Perhaps this is a
Matador. One Jato, swept wing, and a pointed nose. Not as pointed as a
Regulus, though.
Ron

Old July 1st 07, 08:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ron Monroe

I think the wing tips are wrong for a Bomarc. I was thinking Matador, but,
now I'm not sure, looking at the wing again.
Ron