anti-sub a/c

Old November 8th 08, 04:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
niceguy[_2_]

Default anti-sub a/c

Grumman Aircraft:

a.. The Cats
a.. F4F Wildcat
b.. F6F Hellcat
c.. F7F Tigercat
d.. F8F Bearcat
e.. F9F Panther
f.. F9F/F-9 Cougar
g.. XF10F Jaguar
h.. F11F/F-11 Tiger
i.. F-14 Tomcat
a.. Fighter aircraft
a.. Grumman FF
b.. Grumman F2F
c.. Grumman F3F
d.. XF5F Skyrocket
e.. Grumman XP-50
a.. Attack
a.. AF Guardian
b.. A-6 Intruder
a.. Bomber
a.. TBF Avenger
a.. Amphibious
a.. JF Duck
b.. J2F Duck
c.. G-21 Goose some modified as Super or Turbo Goose
d.. G-44 Widgeon
e.. HU-16 Albatross (Coast Guard UF-1/UF-2, Navy U-16, Civilian G-111)
f.. G-73 Mallard
a.. Other
a.. C-1 Trader
b.. E-1 Tracer
c.. S-2 Tracker
d.. E-2 Hawkeye
e.. C-2 Greyhound
f.. OV-1 Mohawk
g.. EA-6B Prowler
h.. Grumman X-29A

Old November 9th 08, 12:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Scubabix

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
"niceguy" wrote in message
ng.com...

S-3 Viking. The second aircraft image is an S-1. Why wasn't there an
"S-2"?

The second image is an S-2. I think you're confusing it with the C-1
Trader, the cargo version of the same aircraft.

Old November 9th 08, 01:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Scenic[_5_]

niceguy wrote:

No S1. Went from AF to S2F.

There were S2E's, at least in this part of the world there were.
Try Googling S2E Tracker.
Old November 9th 08, 01:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Alan Erskine wrote:

S-3 Viking. The second aircraft image is an S-1. Why wasn't there an
"S-2"?

The second aircraft image is an S-2C, previously designated S2F-2.

Old November 9th 08, 01:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Alan Erskine wrote:

Oops. ;-) I meant, why wasn't there an S-1? Was it due to the 1960's
nomenclature change?

The first purpose-built ASW aircraft was the Grumman AF Guardian, it
preceded the S designation for such aircraft. The second purpose-built ASW
aircraft was the Grumman S2F Tracker. It was designated S2F because it was
the second ASW aircraft built for the Navy by Grumman. With the Tri-Service
designation system the S2F became the S-2. Why not S-1? Probably just to
keep things as simple as possible.

Old November 9th 08, 01:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Scenic wrote:

No S1. Went from AF to S2F.

There were S2E's, at least in this part of the world there were.
Try Googling S2E Tracker.

You're mixing designation systems, the S2F was redesignated S-2 in 1962.
Don't drop the dash, it's important.

Old November 9th 08, 01:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Robert Moore

Scenic wrote
There were S2E's, at least in this part of the world there were.
Try Googling S2E Tracker.

Don't know about there, but here they were S-2E not S2E.

Bob Moore
Former S2F-1 and S-2A Pilot (Same aircraft)

Old November 9th 08, 04:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine[_3_]

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
m...
Alan Erskine wrote:

Oops. ;-) I meant, why wasn't there an S-1? Was it due to the 1960's
nomenclature change?

The first purpose-built ASW aircraft was the Grumman AF Guardian, it
preceded the S designation for such aircraft. The second purpose-built
ASW aircraft was the Grumman S2F Tracker. It was designated S2F because
it was the second ASW aircraft built for the Navy by Grumman. With the
Tri-Service designation system the S2F became the S-2. Why not S-1?
Probably just to keep things as simple as possible.

I think the AF was already out of service in the USN by the time the
designation system was changed; that might explain the abscense of the
"S-1". Thanks Steven.

Old November 9th 08, 12:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mike Mackenzie

"Dave Kearton" wrote (in
part):

"Mike Mackenzie" wrote in message
.. .
"Dave Kearton" wrote (in
part):

You must have seen the footage of the S-2 taking off from Midway (IIRC)
and
flying through an ocean swell.

That must have been the only time that a cockpit was cleaner on the
outside
than in. How many times can you do that and get away with it ?

Do you have a link to that footage - or has it not been digitised?

--
Mike Mackenzie (AVCOM Services)

Sorry for the crappy quality, the original footage wasn't good. I'm
sure I've seen better video in the past, if I dig it up, I'll post it.

Thanks Dave. I had heard of this, but don't recall seeing any film.
This clip certainly is crappy - my first impression was that the
camera went through the wave as well ;-)

--
Mike Mackenzie (AVCOM Services)
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
Old November 9th 08, 06:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
niceguy[_2_]

Yes but no S-1. AF -- S-2.

"Scenic" wrote in message
niceguy wrote:

No S1. Went from AF to S2F.

There were S2E's, at least in this part of the world there were.
Try Googling S2E Tracker.

NY Times Anti Gay AND Anti Catholic Red[_2_] Piloting 0 July 27th 07 03:17 PM
FS9 and Anti-aliasing Anthony Acri Simulators 1 December 4th 05 09:54 AM
Anti-Av Forces john smith Piloting 1 November 19th 05 07:27 PM
More Anti GA hysteria Jeremy Lew Piloting 30 September 1st 04 02:16 AM
Anti Aviation Roger Halstead Piloting 31 August 17th 03 03:21 AM