What to do about North Korea...?

Old July 8th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default What to do about North Korea...?

I wouldn't characterize any of these supposed "victors" as having lived
anything approaching a fulfilling life...

No, I suppose they haven't flown a Cherokee across the country with a
wife who is also a pilot and two children who may also become aviators.
They haven't opened an aviation themed hotel and argued on the
internet with kith and kin. They haven't done Oshkosh and partied
around the Mother Of All Grills.

But that's not fulfilling to everyone. Some people are fulfilled
sitting at the top of a tree for three days waiting for the Enemy Of The
World to pass by, and then pulling the trigger. THIS is fulfillment for
some. It is their victory.

Not me. I'd rather sit by the pool. But I am not going to define
victory for others based on what my whims in life are.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 8th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I wouldn't characterize any of these supposed "victors" as having lived
anything approaching a fulfilling life...

No, I suppose they haven't flown a Cherokee across the country with a
wife who is also a pilot and two children who may also become aviators....

SNIP

Not me. I'd rather sit by the pool. But I am not going to define
victory for others based on what my whims in life are.

Me, neither.

My point, Jose, is that these "victories" have come at such a high
personal cost to those who achieved them as to dissuade most thinking
people from even trying to mess with America.

Why? Because most people DON'T want to spend their lives on the run,
living in a cave.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 8th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Newps wrote:

Bruhaha. Saddam moving his WMD to Iran. Yeah, right. You have world
politics down pat, no doubt.

He moved his fighter planes there.

He *tried* - many didn't make it - crashing without even being
shot at.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old July 8th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

My point, Jose, is that these "victories" have come at such a high
personal cost to those who achieved them as to dissuade most thinking
people from even trying to mess with America.

Why? Because most people DON'T want to spend their lives on the run,
living in a cave.

But "most people" aren't the problem. It's the exceptions that are the
ones that cause us the headaches. These exceptions often do not have
our values, so to judge them by our values is folly. Some of them do
have our values, and are just smaller than we are, but perceive us as
being evil and very harmful to them. If a big galoot were raping your
sister, would you sit by because he's bigger than you and has whupped
lots of others? I suspect you'd give it your all, and accept the risk
of injury or death to save what you percieve as more important.

That big galoot might not consider your sister to be "important", and
might judge you irrational or insane to come after him. But I bet you
would.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 9th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Figured I'd try to make a little lemonade out of this, so I'm having
long range tanks installed as long as the wings are off, and saved
about $3000 on that since alot of the labor for that is already covered
by the work needed to repair the wings, anyway.

A good pilot can *always* justify spending more money on his plane by
detailing the amount of money saved...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 9th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_1_]

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 14:13:58 -0600, Newps wrote:

In other words, if a stable democracy develops in Iraq, we win.

what will _you_ (you mean the USA, I suppose) win?

You're a dumbass. That's a collective we.

Hopefully you don't fight the war (it is a war, isn't it?) for _me_. And in
recent years I won't be put in the same context as the general American
(yeah, there are some smart people over there, but they can be hardly made
out), this is too disgusting.

You can't see the value to
the world of a democracy in Iraq?

Your (American) world? I am sorry, but I can't follow your current American
ideals. You are war mongers.

You can't be serious.

I _am_ serious. More than ever.

#m
--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough
Old July 9th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 13:38:46 +0000, Jose wrote:

But a belief that X is ncessary does not give us the
right or obligation to impose it.

In fact, one conclusion is that to *impose* it is to violate it. It's
one of those "the operation was a success but the patient died" situations.

Substitute "respect for human rights"
with "respect and reverence for our Creator and Lord", or even "respect
and reverence for our Creator and Lord, Allah" and you will have a
situation where those who believe do so with even more conviction, and
(if true) even more reason. Yet we object.

Believers in those various dogmas have an advantage over people that
believe in human rights. As I wrote above, human rights cannot be
imposed. The very idea is silly (how does one "impose" "free choice"?).

But those other dogmas *can* be imposed.

I suspect that there's a basic principle there, but I cannot prove it.

- Andrew

Old July 9th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

As I wrote above, human rights cannot be
imposed. The very idea is silly (how does one "impose" "free choice"?).

One does so by forcibly removing the obstacles to free choice. This is
often a small set of people and a power structure. Then one ensures
that the replacement small set of people and power structure will permit
the governed to choose freely.

Whether this is easy, hard, or next to impossible depends on many
things, including the underlying social structure and the external
politics. Whether this is desirable or not depends on which side of the
gun you sit.

Whether this is morally justified, or morally reprehensible, is the
question, and like many such, it is a tangle of intersecting rights. I
tend towards it being none of our business, until it threatens our
survival, in which case morals take a second place. What is wrong
however is doing this not when it threatens our survival, but when it
threatens to threaten our survival. It's like prosecuting somebody
because they came "too close" to the border of a restricted area.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.