Do you fly in your own neighborhood?

Old February 12th 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Do you fly in your own neighborhood?

When you fly VFR for pleasure, do you prefer to limit your flying to the area
around your home base, where you know the geography and airspaces and
navigation points, or do you prefer to fly to many different places that
you've never seen before?

It seems like it would be a trade-off between seeing the same things again and
again but being able to plan a flight easily (since you'd know almost
everything by heart after a while), and seeing completely new things at the
expense of having to work out a detailed flight plan and following it so that
you don't get lost. A cross between adventure and convenient comfort.

A constraint unique to the real world is the need to physically get the plane
from airport to airport. If it's 200 nm to your destination, you'll need to
fly 200 nm back at some point. Fortunately that is not an issue in
simulation, although the serious simmer forces himself to start at the same
airport at which he landed during the previous flight.

Old February 12th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

On Feb 12, 10:08 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
When you fly VFR for pleasure, do you prefer to limit your flying to the area
around your home base, where you know the geography and airspaces and
navigation points, or do you prefer to fly to many different places that
you've never seen before?

It seems like it would be a trade-off between seeing the same things again and
again but being able to plan a flight easily (since you'd know almost
everything by heart after a while), and seeing completely new things at the
expense of having to work out a detailed flight plan and following it so that
you don't get lost. A cross between adventure and convenient comfort.

I prefer new places. Making a flight plan and seeing it come alive is
part of the fun. Getting lost is a non-issue. I prefer adventure.
Convenient comfort and knowing everything by heart only set you up for
complacency.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html

Old February 12th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Michelle P

Mxsmanic wrote:
[...]

No I do not, but many do.
I will fly across country or from top to bottom in a matter of a day. I
regularly fly 500 miles a day. Of Course I fly for living.

Michelle
Old February 12th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Not as Arrogant as Mxsmanic writes:

I'm trying to simulate your life, so next time, I'll just leave my plane at the other
airport and have someone pack it up and ship it to the next airport I'm going to.

I've already received some good and interesting answers. I suppose watching
the kiddies chime in is the price I must pay for that.

Old February 12th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I've already received some good and interesting answers. I suppose watching
the kiddies chime in is the price I must pay for that.

Just as any real pilots who still frequent this group have to put up with your nonsense.

**** You Tony.

Maybe I live a sheltered life, but I don't know any real pilots who
treat others with such rude disdain.

Thankfully.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 12th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Maybe I live a sheltered life, but I don't know any real pilots who
treat others with such rude disdain.

Look at how the real pilots here are treating Mx.

My point exactly.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 12th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Maybe I live a sheltered life, but I don't know any real pilots who
treat others with such rude disdain.

Look at how the real pilots here are treating Mx.

Jose
--
Humans are pack animals. Above all things, they have a deep need to
follow something, be it a leader, a creed, or a mob. Whosoever fully
Old February 12th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
Maybe I live a sheltered life, but I don't know any real pilots who
treat others with such rude disdain.

You really are a boy scout. And yes, you lead a *very* sheltered life.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old February 12th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

When you fly VFR for pleasure, do you prefer to limit your flying to the area
around your home base, where you know the geography and airspaces and
navigation points, or do you prefer to fly to many different places that
you've never seen before?

Personally, I prefer long cross-country flights to new realms. I am
never happier then I am whilst over-flying areas of this continent
that I've never before seen.

Reality, however, is inconvenient. Unlike the sim world, I am
constrained by finances, weather, and time. This means that most of
our flights are within 200 miles of Iowa City, since we (at most)
usually have 4 or 5 hours off at a time. After flying twice a week
for 12 years, simple math proves that most of our flights will be to
areas we've visited multiple times before.

Luckily, partially because of the seasons in the Midwest, it's hard to
get bored with flying. For example, flying into St. Louis in January
is NOTHING like flying in July, and the fall colors along the
Mississippi River in October are hard to beat.

Ultimately, three or four times each year, we launch ourselves toward
areas unknown, comforted by the knowledge that all those local flights
have kept us sharp for the challenging longer ones.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 12th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

When you fly VFR for pleasure, do you prefer to limit your flying to...

I don't like to limit my flying.

or do you prefer to fly to many different
places that you've never seen before?

I suppose that one. I like to fly either way, but it is true that the
same flight again and again (say, down the Hudson) by myself becomes
less rewarding. OTOH, taking new people on an old route is always fun.

A constraint unique to the real world is the need to physically get the plane
from airport to airport. If it's 200 nm to your destination, you'll need to
fly 200 nm back at some point.

Well, sort of. I do sometimes take the big aluminum tube to other parts
of the country, and when there I've been known to pop into an FBO and
fly. Upside down, even. So, in that case I've managed to fly in a new
area without having to get the plane there or back.

although the serious simmer forces himself to start at the same
airport at which he landed during the previous flight.

Why? In real life, pilots fly different planes, starting at different
locations, for many reasons. Commercial pilots may fly A to B, deadhead
(as a passenger) to C, and then fly from C to A (or even C to D),
depending on the airline's needs. Bugsmasher pilots who fly with a
pilot friend will often split legs. I'll fly from A to B, and my friend
flies us from B to A. Simulating, should I start my next flight at A or B?

Jose