Myth: 1 G barrel rolls are impossible.

Old June 12th 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Myth: 1 G barrel rolls are impossible.

Robert M. Gary writes:

You are assuming that the center of the roll makes a straight line,
that is not the case.

I'm making no such assumption.

The reality is that there will always be an acceleration of 1 G imposed on the
aircraft, in the direction of the ground. There is nothing that you can do in
an aircraft that will eliminate this acceleration, and there is nothing you
can do in an aircraft that changes its height above the ground or its path
over the ground that will not introduce additional acceleration. This is all
basic physics.
Old June 12th 07, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

On 2007-06-12 01:11:04 -0400, Bertie the Bunyip said:

Dudley Henriques wrote in

On 2007-06-12 00:14:09 -0400, Bertie the Bunyip
said:

Dudley Henriques wrote in

On 2007-06-11 23:50:07 -0400, Bertie the Bunyip
said:

Dudley Henriques wrote in

On 2007-06-11 23:27:09 -0400, Bertie the Bunyip
said:

Dudley Henriques wrote;

Got a few hours in the 650 way back when. Man, were those pedals
wide apart!! :-))

Yes, good airplane for exploring aerobatics for th eneophyte,
though. Unburstable, except for that prop thing.

That's what got Rollie Cole. Shame.
I miss the old days. I knew a lot of these people up close and
personal.Counting the people we knew on the jet teams and the rest
from the demonstration community, my wife and I have lost 32
friends through the years to low altitude acro
Dudley

Yes. i've lost a few as well. Somehow I managed to survie it
though!

I don't even like doing them at altitude so much these days. Except
for smooth stuff. A freind of mine has just got a Yak 52 and is
going nuts in it doing flat spins and what have you.. Gives me a
headache just looking at him!

That's weird. I have a friend in Pa. in the financial business who's
into Yaks as well. (Gotta be careful saying this or PETA will be on
my ass here :-)
He has a 52 now and has just bought an 11. I believe he's trying to
put a P&W in the 11 as we speak.
Got another friend in Jersey who's LOA on Mig 21's.
I think the Russians might be invading after all :-)

I'd say we might have some mutual acquantences.

Bertie

Wouldn't surprise me a bit, but fear not if so. Should the Bunyip
become known, his secret is safe and shall remain so.
For your interest, the two people are Seligman and Sutton.

No, don't know them myself, but I think one had A CJ 6 ferried from Cal
a few years ago?

Also, i reckon you also knew a Pinto/ F86 driver that bit off more than
he could chew?

Steve and I knew each other quite well many years ago when he was a
partner in the old Valley Forge Airport in Pa. His partner had a French
wife you had to see to believe. If I remember right (and who could
forget her..her name was Yvette. :-)
Steve had enough patents to choke a horse, including the paraglider and
the Sentinel just to name two. He made a ton of money in his life. I
take it you knew him as well.
I don't really know what happened to the 86 the day he went in over in
Jersey and I can't remember if the bird had an Orenda in it or a J47.
If it was a J47, he could easily have swallowed a bucket. That engine
was a mess from the gitgo.
I know he went in suddenly on some kind of a low pass with an engine
issue but we never really got the complete details of exactly what
happened and aside from sending a formal card to the museum, I've never
pressed them for an answer.
Dudley

Bertie

Old June 12th 07, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

muff528 writes:

Would it be possible to maintain 1g in the seat if the "corkscrew" were
modified to a shape like an opening spiral, similar to a nautilus shell?

No.

Maybe slip to the right while pulling the nose up to induce acceleration of
1g. You would continue this maneuver, gradually flattening the spiral as
gravity takes over the acceleration into the seat until you are again
straight and level. You would never "climb" against gravity at any point
since that would create an acceleration above 1g.

Any time your vertical speed increases positively, you are above 1 G.
Old June 12th 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Jim Logajan writes:

Drop the nose straight down so as to make the plane & pilot weightless.
Then start doing horizontal loops so the centrifugal force yields the
equivalent of one gravity of weight.

The total force on the aircraft will still be above 1 G unless the entire loop
is in free fall.
Old June 12th 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Jim Logajan writes:

You appear to be confusing acceleration and force (you appear at times to
treat them as the same thing), among other faults in your thinking.

Applying force produces acceleration; acceleration is application of a force.

But I'm not confusing anything; the confusion I see here is in others.
Apparently physics is not a part of pilot training.
Old June 12th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Viperdoc writes:

Hey, asshole- how about rolls on the vertical, either up or down? The plane
is climbing or descending, while maintaining one g througout. There is no
change in the g forces associated with the roll.

That cannot be done, unless the entire frame of reference is in free fall,
which it isn't. If the frame of reference of the roll is not falling at 1 G
acceleration, it is impossible to maintain exactly one G while moving up or
down.
Old June 12th 07, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Viperdoc[_3_]

Think about it- a roll on the vertical does not apply any g to the airplane.
The airplane is decelerating or accelerating at the rate of 1G in the x
axis. During a vertical roll there is no acceleration in the z or y axes.

You are wrong again. You are not looking for answers- you are trying to get
attention to fulfill your pathetic life.

Old June 12th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

On 2007-06-12 01:11:04 -0400, Bertie the Bunyip

On 2007-06-12 00:14:09 -0400, Bertie the Bunyip

On 2007-06-11 23:50:07 -0400, Bertie the Bunyip

On 2007-06-11 23:27:09 -0400, Bertie the Bunyip
said:

You guys need to get a room. I haven't seen this much strokin' since Debbie
did Dallas.

Old June 12th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 11, 10:24 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Robert M. Gary writes:
You are assuming that the center of the roll makes a straight line,
that is not the case.

I'm making no such assumption.

The reality is that there will always be an acceleration of 1 G imposed on the
aircraft, in the direction of the ground. There is nothing that you can do in
an aircraft that will eliminate this acceleration, and there is nothing you
can do in an aircraft that changes its height above the ground or its path
over the ground that will not introduce additional acceleration. This is all
basic physics.

Do you believe that a pilot at the top of a loop can experience
possitive G's?

-Robert

Old June 12th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Viperdoc writes:

Hey, asshole- how about rolls on the vertical, either up or down? The
plane is climbing or descending, while maintaining one g througout.
There is no change in the g forces associated with the roll.

That cannot be done, unless the entire frame of reference is in free
fall, which it isn't. If the frame of reference of the roll is not
falling at 1 G acceleration, it is impossible to maintain exactly one
G while moving up or down.

You're an idiot.

Bertie