X-Plane Install

Old June 20th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default X-Plane Install

Jay Honeck writes:

What you are describing seems to be all-too common with X-plane.

It's going to be a problem with any software that attempts to model flight
based on theory, rather than just looking it up in a table. That's why
simulators that have to match real aircraft often just use a table.
Old June 20th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Jay Honeck posted:

We have X-Plane powered FTD's at the flight school I work at, and
I've messed around with the program a bit on my PC. The sound kept
crackling, and there was nothing I could do to get it to stop. I even
bought a new sound card, but the crackling still persisted. After I
get my computer settled from my recent switch to linux, I'll try to
give it another shot.

What you are describing seems to be all-too common with X-plane.

We bought a copy for our Kiwi flight simulator (see it he
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/flight_simulator.htm) because a friend of
mine wanted to have a whack at modeling the RV-10 he's building. We
had high hopes.

Unfortunately, the program is immensely complex, and (in my opinion)
buggy as hell. Anyone who lambastes Microsoft for Flight Simulator
would NEVER have the patience or fortitude to make X-plane work
properly.

X-Plane is a completely different kind of program than Flight Simulator,
and they serve two different kinds of user. If all you want to do is fly
an "existing" aircraft with approximately the right "feel", Flight
Simulator is the way to go. If you are designing and/or building an
experimental plane (the "X" part), X-Plane is the least expensive tool to
use to model its aeronautic behavior.

So, your friend with the RV-10 had the right idea, but, as you found out,
it is a significant investment to get it configured and operating
smoothly. Perhaps he should buy it from you and, if necessary, hire
someone to configure a system that will run it properly.

Neil

Old June 21st 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article . com,
Jay Honeck wrote:

[snip]
Unfortunately, the program is immensely complex, and (in my opinion)
buggy as hell.

x-plane buggy? Haven't seen it. Don't know if it's because I'm using
a mac, but I'm surprised you think x-plane is buggy.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old June 21st 07, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Jay Honeck writes:

What you are describing seems to be all-too common with X-plane.

It's going to be a problem with any software that attempts to model
flight based on theory, rather than just looking it up in a table.
That's why simulators that have to match real aircraft often just use
a table.

You're an idiot.

You have no idea of what you're talking about even in simulation

Bertie
Old June 22nd 07, 10:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2007-06-20, Jay Honeck wrote:
Unfortunately, the program is immensely complex, and (in my opinion)
buggy as hell. Anyone who lambastes Microsoft for Flight Simulator
would NEVER have the patience or fortitude to make X-plane work
properly.

It's been a while since I touched a flight sim (I've found they've lost
their appeal since getting a real plane). However, I think X-Plane and
MSFS are for different markets - MSFS is a consumer product for those
who just want to "fly" something (with plenty of eye candy). X-Plane on
the other hand is really made for people who want to experiment (hence
the 'X'). Out of all the various flight sims I've tried, X-Plane had by
far the most convincing flight model, but the most utilitarian graphics.

I didn't find any real bugs in X-Plane when I used it (that's not to say they
don't exist!) - but in any case, it sounds like X-Plane is not the right
simulator for you. I think it's aimed at the more technical user.

Old June 22nd 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Jun 20, 6:32 pm, Wizard of Draws
wrote:
On 6/20/07 8:32 PM, in article
, "Bob Noel"

wrote:
In article . com,
Jay Honeck wrote:

[snip]
Unfortunately, the program is immensely complex, and (in my opinion)
buggy as hell.

x-plane buggy? Haven't seen it. Don't know if it's because I'm using
a mac, but I'm surprised you think x-plane is buggy.

I haven't seen it either. My 10 year old Mac is a bit underpowered for it
(had to get a new graphics card which I needed anyway) but it runs perfect.
When Leopard comes out and I order a souped-up Mac Pro, I'll be set.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magichttp://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magichttp://www.cartoonclipart.com

The X-plane developers all use Macs. If you look on their official
site, they have a page dedicated to bashing windows and praising
Apple. I don't doubt it runs a hell of a lot better on Apple hardware.

http://x-plane.com/weapon.html

Old June 23rd 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

buttman wrote in
ups.com:

On Jun 20, 6:32 pm, Wizard of Draws
wrote:
On 6/20/07 8:32 PM, in article
, "Bob Noel"

wrote:
In article . com,
Jay Honeck wrote:

[snip]
Unfortunately, the program is immensely complex, and (in my
opinion) buggy as hell.

x-plane buggy? Haven't seen it. Don't know if it's because I'm
using a mac, but I'm surprised you think x-plane is buggy.

I haven't seen it either. My 10 year old Mac is a bit underpowered
for it (had to get a new graphics card which I needed anyway) but it
runs perfect. When Leopard comes out and I order a souped-up Mac Pro,
I'll be set. --
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magichttp://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magichttp://www.cartoonclipart.com

The X-plane developers all use Macs. If you look on their official
site, they have a page dedicated to bashing windows and praising
Apple. I don't doubt it runs a hell of a lot better on Apple hardware.

Snort!

Bertie

http://x-plane.com/weapon.html

Can't install FSX Blue Simulators 6 November 22nd 06 09:42 PM
A-65 Baffles - when to install? Michael Horowitz Home Built 0 March 27th 05 06:26 PM
New Lycoming Install Evan Carew Home Built 2 October 9th 04 04:10 AM
Hours to install S-TEC?? Frode Berg Piloting 1 May 7th 04 01:54 AM
Can I install on more than one computer? FCY-SAM Simulators 1 August 2nd 03 06:07 PM