o and io engines

Old May 5th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default o and io engines

I went through my post. No, I didn't say that.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
And slightly less fuel burn than if it had a carburetor, just as Doug
said!

I'm not following. You're saying 10 gal/hr is less than 9 gal/hr?

-Robert

Old May 5th 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I went through my post. No, I didn't say that.

Ok, I'm still confused. The O-360 engine puts out 180hp on 9gal hr. The
IO-360 puts out 200 hp on 10 gal/hr. The difference between the two is
just that that IO-360 is fuel injected. So how is it that you can say
"And slightly less fuel burn than if it had a carburetor". That
certainly doesn't seem to be the case here.

-Robert

Old May 5th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Robert M. Gary wrote:
I went through my post. No, I didn't say that.

Ok, I'm still confused. The O-360 engine puts out 180hp on 9gal hr. The
IO-360 puts out 200 hp on 10 gal/hr. The difference between the two is
just that that IO-360 is fuel injected. So how is it that you can say
"And slightly less fuel burn than if it had a carburetor". That
certainly doesn't seem to be the case here.

I gave up trying to get Karl to clarify anything long back with "Vx is a clean
wing". Don't try to be literal with him. He speaks in loose metaphors and allegory.
Old May 5th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Robert,

There are many, many, (over 100) variants of the Lycoming 360 engine. Your
confusion stems from your belief that you just strap FI on an O-360 and it
makes it a IO-360.

In fact ALL the 200 HP IO-360 engines have a higher compression ratio,
unless they are turbo-charged. That is the primary reason for the extra 20
HP.

Fuel injection, (even lowly port injection like on our engines) is more
efficient than a carburetor. Thus for the same power output they do so at a
lower fuel burn. That is one of the primary reasons to FI an engine.

For your amusement, surf this:
http://www.lycoming.textron.com/prod...ons/SSP204.pdf

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

ups.com...

Old May 5th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dave,

I understand you "gave up" on understanding Vx. That's unfortunate, and
could cause you grief if you ever need to climb at that speed. Vx, for all
common light aircraft, is a clean wing speed. (NO FLAPS) What is difficult
to understand about that?

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

Old May 5th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

karl gruber wrote:
Dave,

I understand you "gave up" on understanding Vx. That's unfortunate, and
could cause you grief if you ever need to climb at that speed. Vx, for all
common light aircraft, is a clean wing speed. (NO FLAPS) What is difficult
to understand about that?

Nothing. Why didn't you say so?

I didn't give up on understanding Vx, I gave up trying to get you to explain
what you were talking about.

I'm happy to learn that you are capable of writing clear, plain, complete,
expository sentences.

Dave
Old May 6th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Fuel injection, (even lowly port injection like on our engines) is more
efficient than a carburetor. Thus for the same power output they do so at a
lower fuel burn. That is one of the primary reasons to FI an engine

Interesting. Whatever the difference it must be pretty small. In the
end the plane will have a cruise fuel burn darn near 5% of its
horsepower, carb or FI.

-Robert

Old May 6th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

It appears the 200 HP injected engines all have tuned induction systems
for a little more power, too. And isn't here some point where they use
the angle valve cylinders to get a better combustion chamber shape? I
couldn't spot it though.

An interesting list. Think of the documentation there must be at
Lycoming to support this many certified engines!

Old May 6th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 6 May 2006 11:35:19 -0700, "nrp" wrote:

It appears the 200 HP injected engines all have tuned induction systems
for a little more power, too. And isn't here some point where they use
the angle valve cylinders to get a better combustion chamber shape? I
couldn't spot it though.

A 180 hp O-360 Lycoming has parallel valves, the 200 hp IO-360 has
angle valves. With the 540's the typical cut-off for parallel valve
heads is 250 hp.

An interesting list. Think of the documentation there must be at
Lycoming to support this many certified engines!

Indeed.

TC